It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cars Without Human Driver Or Steering Wheels Allowed in Michigan---Now Allows Self-Driving Cars--

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 9 2016 @ 04:58 PM
link   
Michigan is allowing the testing of self driving cars with no humans in them or steering wheels. This could be a big deal with developing autonomous vehicles.
The new law leaves it up the company developing the vehicle. We will keep a close eye on how the self driving cars deal deer, ice and humans.

Companies can now test self-driving cars on Michigan public roads without a driver or steering wheel under new laws that could push the state to the forefront of autonomous vehicle development.

The package of bills signed into law Friday comes with few specific state regulations and leaves many decisions up to automakers and companies like Google and Uber. But state officials say there are enough safeguards to keep the public out of danger.

detroit.cbslocal.com...
edit on 9-12-2016 by seasonal because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 9 2016 @ 05:12 PM
link   
a reply to: seasonal

So when one of these things runs somebody over.... Who is responsible? Google? The owner who isn't driving the car?

posted on Dec, 9 2016 @ 05:16 PM
link   
a reply to: eluryh22

Well I think you can guess. There will be a max pay out for injuries. And that will be that.

posted on Dec, 9 2016 @ 05:18 PM
link   

I want "older" software to drive 15 miles under the speed limit and always keep the turn signal on.

posted on Dec, 9 2016 @ 05:19 PM
link   

I won't be driving, or walking, in Michigan anytime soon...

Something about this just gets my back up. I don't like it at all.

posted on Dec, 9 2016 @ 05:20 PM
link   
Can't wait till these things start smashing up the place.

Or some script kiddie takes google's precious car on a joyride straight into a lake.

posted on Dec, 9 2016 @ 05:22 PM
link   
a reply to: seagull

I can't wait to sit-sleep or what ever while my a car takes me where even I want to go.

posted on Dec, 9 2016 @ 05:23 PM
link   

To each their own, I guess.

posted on Dec, 9 2016 @ 05:23 PM
link   
I've been following all this tech for a long time in the motoring press. Autopilots, autonomous tech etc, and can't help thinking, take a freakin' bus!

posted on Dec, 9 2016 @ 05:28 PM
link   
a reply to: Britguy

That makes more sense than autodrive...

I don't trust computers, and probably never will. I have a very 19th century mindset about many things like this.

posted on Dec, 9 2016 @ 05:37 PM
link   
a reply to: seagull

The problem is, there are going to be massive safety issues, that the technology is already having issues with.
There was a report several months ago that looked into analysis of accidents involving autonomous test vehicles, which found that in nearly all instances, it was the human factor (human driven vehicles) that caused the accidents.

I shudder to think of the carnage that could ensue, with a mix of traditional human driven vehicles mixing it up with autonomous systems, as their sensors try to compensate for sometimes erratic or dangerous driving.

I can see advantages to this autonomous technology, if used in city centre shuttle systems where other traffic is barred, for example, or similar scenarios where it follows preset routes with little chance of encountering other vehicles.

posted on Dec, 9 2016 @ 05:47 PM
link   
40 car pileup between Detroit and Lansing yesterday on icy roads . I wonder how they handle whiteout conditions. No roadside no centerline!!!!

OOPS!!

edit on 9-12-2016 by mikell because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 9 2016 @ 05:57 PM
link   
I can't wait to see how they react to road debris, reckless drivers, not to mention the occasional motorcyclist lane splitting while flying like a bat out of hell.

When the cars sensors 404 not found and send the occupants careening into some very stout static object.

Good luck with all that Jazz. Im Will Smith in i-robot. "I don't trust dem dere machines"
edit on 9-12-2016 by AlongCamePaul because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 9 2016 @ 05:58 PM
link   
I don't get it... As a software engineer, why are they going through all this trouble and spending billions of dollars to design self driving cars with complex sensors and AI just to drive down simple roads like old grandmas? They are going so far to create billion dollar fake cities to test their cars in...

All that money could simply go into modifying roads to have little slots in them, so cars can retract little guide posts into the slots and become a slot car. Or better yet, put magnets down the center of all the roads so cars can follow them. This rail based system then turns the whole self driving problem into a more 1 dimensional problem, which is far easier to solve, and ten times more reliable.
edit on 9-12-2016 by WeAre0ne because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 9 2016 @ 06:00 PM
link   
a reply to: WeAre0ne

It probably has some backers from the Military Industrial Complex, primarily for domestic use.

A robot will have no compunction firing on American (or anyone else for that matter) citizens.

Companies like Google, Facebook, all these silicon valley giants should be looked upon with extreme suspicion and under endless public scrutiny.

posted on Dec, 9 2016 @ 06:23 PM
link   

In the long run life is going to be beautiful for people, with machines catering to our every need....

In the short to medium range future, we are all sooooooooo screwed.

posted on Dec, 9 2016 @ 06:55 PM
link   

That is not good. The reason I say that is I have lived in Michigan in the past for 6 years. When the ice or snow flies vehicles do not respond as one would expect. I can see some serious litigation come about for property damage and probably death. Has the insurance companies chimed in on how they will insure them? If they do and take some major loses things may change.

Whether the vehicle has snow tire or not can effect performance. Black ice can throw the vehicle into an uncontrolled spin and crash. I don't think all the computer control in the world can help correct it in that case.

And please don't bring them to Florida in the winter! We have enough problems with northern drivers as it is.

edit on 9/12/16 by spirit_horse because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 9 2016 @ 07:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: mikell
40 car pileup between Detroit and Lansing yesterday on icy roads . I wonder how they handle whiteout conditions. No roadside no centerline!!!!

Unlike humans, they have lidar, radar and GPS. I'd rather be in one than not.

posted on Dec, 9 2016 @ 07:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: spirit_horse
Whether the vehicle has snow tire or not can effect performance. Black ice can throw the vehicle into an uncontrolled spin and crash. I don't think all the computer control in the world can help correct it in that case.

With experience in aircraft control systems---a well calibrated computer will do better than a human. It can't prevent all crashes but will still be safer.

posted on Dec, 9 2016 @ 07:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: seagull

I won't be driving, or walking, in Michigan anytime soon...

Something about this just gets my back up. I don't like it at all.

To be bluntly honest, they're fricking terrible drivers here for an auto state. Self-driving cars might be a step UP in safety, lol.

My only honest negative gripe about the state so far, really. Terrible drivers, just damned terrible. Never seen so much distracted driving before in my life.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join