It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BACKFIRE! Jill Stein’s Recount Leads To New VOTER ID LAW In Michigan

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 10 2016 @ 03:25 AM
link   
I don't think there is a problem with voter ID or recounts. Both are good for the system.
edit on 10amSat, 10 Dec 2016 03:26:06 -0600kbamkAmerica/Chicago by darkbake because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 10 2016 @ 04:09 AM
link   
I don't think the recount "lead" to a voter ID bill. Both were going on at the same time.

On one floor somewhere the republicans were saying no recount is necessary because there is no voter fraud while at the same time on another floor were saying ID is required because voter fraud...

posted on Dec, 10 2016 @ 05:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: RickyD

How was it that people could make it over a hundred miles to vote in an age before cars where one walked or rode a horse, but now can't make it to a DMV to get a legally required ID...not just for voting but just generally required by law?

"...legally required ID ...generally required by law"?

You've mentioned this before. In what state is it a legal requirement to "generally" have an ID card? The only "required" ID cards I can think of, are only required if you want to do a specific thing - you only need a driver's license if you want to drive, for example.

posted on Dec, 10 2016 @ 05:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: RickyD
a reply to: Swills

You realize not only is it the law to have ID already...

Do you have a reference for this law?

The Supreme Court declared the legal requirement for carrying an ID in public to be unconstitutional in Kolender v. Lawson. Even states that have a "must identify" law on the books only require the person to provide the information verbally.

If there is a state with a specific law requiring you to have some kind of documentation "just because", I would be interested to see it. I'm not saying I don't believe it exists, just that I've never come across it.

posted on Dec, 10 2016 @ 06:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: Swills
a reply to: xuenchen

Shocking the GOP continues to push Voter ID laws to suppress votes. Color me surprised! But let's blame Jill Stein? How typical of conservatives. Pathetic.

The sad part is you actually believe that crap. Required to show ID doesn't suppress votes, it's a safeguard to prevent voter fraud. Just like when you go to your bank drive-tru, they request you to show ID to access your money. It's a safeguard to prevent unauthorized people from gaining access to your money.

I think people should be forced to show ID to vote. We should also start using the ink on the finger to make sure people don't try to vote twice. We need the same oversight/security on voting machines, like the slot machines in Vegas.

posted on Dec, 10 2016 @ 07:02 AM
link   

I've never understood the arguments against voter I'd.

If I go to be treated medically, I have to show proof of insurance, to show I'm insured.

If I drive a car; proof of a valid driver's license, to show I can legally drive.

If I go shopping I need a debit card to withdraw the money from my account.

Hell if I want to drink or smoke I need an id to prove I'm old enough (and I'm 41!)

Why then, for one of the most important rights in this land...voting; would you just suddenly take my word for it?

I think they know voter turn out may drop; no more dead people, double votes, or illegal immigrants. Those votes add up!

Guess that makes me racist. SMH

edit on 12/10/2016 by Martin75 because: Damn spell check...I hate my phone!

posted on Dec, 10 2016 @ 07:29 AM
link   
a reply to: reldra

What are you talking about? In case you haven't noticed, its a traditional norm to have an ID and Drivers License. At the very least, ID. Every person has one and it is their responsibility to maintain it.

So when voter ID laws come into effect, nothing really truly changes, does it? Why? Because we already have our IDs.

Slide ID at Voting booth. Less then 5 seconds...
Literally, the time it takes to vote will simply increase by 5 seconds because of the physical swipe of ID.

Lastly, you sound really desperate about the whole voter ID law, as if like you enjoyed a cushion of illegal immgrant votes...with voter ID laws soon to be coming into effect, it will, no one without an ID can vote.

posted on Dec, 10 2016 @ 09:04 AM
link   

Too bad they don't pass a law where a voter must register every two years and get a card which is only good for the next election cycle. This card would, of course, be free and the ONLY acceptable I D used for voting.

This would not only bring out only the serious voters but would also keep the voter rolls clear of any dead people who may currently be registered.

The only ones it will deter from registering are those who will very likely not bother standing in line to cast a vote.

posted on Dec, 10 2016 @ 12:18 PM
link   

I say good on them for doing this and I hope that all states attempt to do the same. However, just wait till all the illegals are kicked out first...it would be a waste of tax payer money to pay for their ID.

posted on Dec, 10 2016 @ 12:23 PM
link   
Next thing you know you will need an RFID chip in your finger to touch screen which candidate you vote for president in the future. And if you don't vote (which would be mandatory then), otherwise you may get penalized in some way.

posted on Dec, 10 2016 @ 12:37 PM
link   
a reply to: Skywatcher2011

Yes requiring an ID is one step from being chipped...hyperbole much?

posted on Dec, 10 2016 @ 12:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: Martin75
a reply to: Skywatcher2011

Yes requiring an ID is one step from being chipped...hyperbole much?

No...I "hyperbole and a half" much

posted on Dec, 10 2016 @ 01:13 PM
link   

Meeting in its lame-duck session, the state House of Representatives passed a tough voter-ID bill that includes $3 million for funding of free state identification and birth certificates after over 18,000 voters cast ballots without identification in the presidential election

Three million ought to cover the cost to those 18K who didn't show ID. No ID will no longer be an excuse.

posted on Dec, 10 2016 @ 04:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: ugmold
And some Judge [snipped] stops the recount effort...what kind of sense does that make? Double Negative, not by Stein, but by the Right. If they think there is Fraud and passed a Voter ID Law, why not go ahead with a recount?

edit on Fri Dec 9 2016 by DontTreadOnMe because: Reaffirming Our Desire For Productive Political Debate (REVISED)

Because Trump won!

posted on Dec, 10 2016 @ 04:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: reldra

originally posted by: avgguy

Why would he veto a bill that would make voting more legitimate and secure?

Many states find photo ID at every vote to be a burden on the public. It costs money to buy even a non driver id in most states, sometimes up to $50. Constitutionally, that would make it a pay to vote thing.

I live in an affluent village. I don't have to show ID, I do have to sign a book where I have only ONE space for my name and address and it must reasonably match my past signature. No other person with my name can then get near a voting machine. That seems to work.

Read the OP...they will be giving FREE ID to the people. The only thing this will stop is people who can't/shouldn't vote and those who don't want to show their faces to a government agency...you know...crack dealers, etc. And I don't know about you, but I rarely take the advice or opinion of crack dealers of any value.

posted on Dec, 10 2016 @ 04:11 PM
link   
The arrogant left are quick to state (incorrectly in my opinion) that voter ID disenfranchises some people. But if the ID is FREE then why do they ignore the other problem. Every fraudulent vote for one party disenfranchises a legal vote by an American citizen for the opposing party.

Where is the outrage and call for assuring the legal voter's vote isn't wiped out by an illegal vote? Hmmmmm...maybe because they want those illegal votes or more likely...have something to do with them occurring to begin with.

posted on Dec, 10 2016 @ 04:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: In4ormant

originally posted by: Deny Arrogance

Nowhere is it claimed the law is already finalized.

The title is correct.

The story is correct,

You are wrong yet again.

Learn to read.

The title says 'leads to new voter ID law in Michigan'. It leads one to believe there is a new voter ID law in Michigan. Leads to means it went to some destination.

I dont think asking grown adults who vote in elections that determine the leader of the free world to show up with a required photo i.d. is a stretch.

Gimme a damn break

It is, for some. If they can get to the 'free id' place, great. It would also depend on how far.

Voting is a right, a deeply ingrained right and nowhere in the constitution do I see you must show photo id in order to do so.

I would assume that if they can get to the voting location, they can likely get to the place with the voter IDs which will likely be where they get their driver's licenses or maybe their welfare checks.

But as far as the Constitution goes...I'll partially agree with you there. I also don't see anywhere that it says you need an ID to buy a gun.

Want to meet me half way

posted on Dec, 10 2016 @ 04:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

Voting isn't an actual Right.

Meanwhile leaving it open to those without ID leaves it open to people who wouldn't have a Right to even if it were a Right for US Citizens.

It is an actual right. Over 18, non-felon (in most states), US citizen..you can vote. If you are to turn 18 before the general election you can vote in the primaries.

When did it not become 'not an actual right'?

So exactly how do you PROVE you are over 18, a non-felon and a legal US citizen WITHOUT and ID?????

posted on Dec, 10 2016 @ 10:10 PM
link   
a reply to: Aeshma

I live in Missouri, I've been voting since 1988, and I've NEVER had to show my ID to vote. Ever. And I didn't have to show my ID to get my voter registration card, either. I did, however, have to show my ID to buy a pack of cigarettes at WalMart (even though my hair is nearly white, lol), a bottle of wine at my local liquor store, to cash a check at the bank, and even to get a library card. Thankfully, we passed a new voter ID law this November.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join