It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BACKFIRE! Jill Stein’s Recount Leads To New VOTER ID LAW In Michigan

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 9 2016 @ 05:54 PM
link   
Canada just went through this debacle of needing ID to get to vote.

Many people do not have a drivers licence, health card or birth certificate. This includes young people who don't drive, but are old enough to vote, elderly people who have given up driving and about a half-million Native Americans who live on reservations where the only access to the outside world is by airplanes.

In my case, Canada Post changed my address just before the last election. I had all the ID required, but it had the wrong address and my wife and I had to go through multiple hoops just to be able to vote.

The practice was gotten rid of immediately after the election because of the large scale voter suppression.

posted on Dec, 9 2016 @ 05:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: reldra

It must be free and unobstructed. You are missing decades of voter supression here. I am not surprised the conservatives act like it is a non issue.

It is unobstructed.

But only Citizens can vote for President, and you need to be a real Citizen not impersonating somebody else.

posted on Dec, 9 2016 @ 05:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: RickyD

It is also against the law to not have identification in the form of a picture ID or Drivers License. So again why is it a burden if it's already a law to have one?

Yes, THANK YOU!

In my late teens (in Michigan), one time I had been informed by police it's 'illegal' to go out around (in public) without photo ID.

posted on Dec, 9 2016 @ 06:01 PM
link   
a reply to: reldra

Thats freaking perposterous... absolute lunacy... i can not believe you can vote with out proving your identity.

posted on Dec, 9 2016 @ 06:03 PM
link   
From now on, the Canadian government will once again send out Voter ID cards to each individual Canadian eligible to vote.

That's the way it always was until the Conservative Party started changing the law to make the voters prove their identity.

I'm quite sure it helped defeat them during that last election. I know I was pissed.

posted on Dec, 9 2016 @ 06:13 PM
link   
a reply to: Swills

You realize not only is it the law to have ID already...if people who wanted to vote would trek very long distances by foot or horse just to vote once upon a time...why can't eligible honest people travel to the DMV to get an ID...an ID which mind you MI just aloted funds to pay for. Is it too much to ask to follow laws on the books already? I guess those who say they were suppressed didn't want to vote that bad huh...

posted on Dec, 9 2016 @ 06:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: avgguy

Why would he veto a bill that would make voting more legitimate and secure?

Many states find photo ID at every vote to be a burden on the public. It costs money to buy even a non driver id in most states, sometimes up to $50. Constitutionally, that would make it a pay to vote thing.

I live in an affluent village. I don't have to show ID, I do have to sign a book where I have only ONE space for my name and address and it must reasonably match my past signature. No other person with my name can then get near a voting machine. That seems to work.

And you live nowhere near where illegal aliens are pouring through either. Basically you do not care if it does not effect you which is the fundamental issue in this country; only care about yourself.

I live in an affluent neighborhood as well. It's not my area causing problems, it's the surrounding areas where the problems are located. People here, some have been here for over two decades illegally. All the crime, drugs and murder is coming from those neighborhoods along with illegal voting. They damn near took the state this time but thankfully we out flanked them. Notice Obama and Hillary never visited southern border towns to see the problem with their own eyes. They just effin ignore it.

+2 more 
posted on Dec, 9 2016 @ 06:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: avgguy

Why would he veto a bill that would make voting more legitimate and secure?

Many states find photo ID at every vote to be a burden on the public. It costs money to buy even a non driver id in most states, sometimes up to $50. Constitutionally, that would make it a pay to vote thing.

I live in an affluent village. I don't have to show ID, I do have to sign a book where I have only ONE space for my name and address and it must reasonably match my past signature. No other person with my name can then get near a voting machine. That seems to work.

No it doesn't Drivers license's cost money but state ids do not in every state that has started voter id. But what I find the funniest about this argument is it basically claiming for some reason blacks cant get ids. So I guess the theory goes that blacks are so poor they cant afford 50.00 like the white people can. By the way They get ids in todays society hard to function without them cant write checks buy alcohol. Cant start utilities at your home cant open a bank account for that matter cant apply for food stamps and welfare without id. You cant rent or buy a house without id. Lets not forget drive a car or fly on a plane. You cant even adopt an animal without id. and there's probably dozens of other things I didn't even think about that require an id. So to say that blacks somehow don't need ids and requiring them to vote is to suppress a vote is funny. And to assume blacks are just to poor to get an idea is kind of racist in itself.

As far as rosters my state used to do that before they moved over to checking id. Problem with the roster is it can allow dead people to vote where in my state unless the dead get up out the grave and walk in with there id they are not voting.

posted on Dec, 9 2016 @ 06:25 PM
link   
good

+3 more 
posted on Dec, 9 2016 @ 06:33 PM
link   
a reply to: dragonridr

Again we find the same folks calling racist turn out to be the most racist of the bunch...I showed this thread to a co-worker tonight who happened to be black...he said he felt anyone insinuating black people would have an issue with voter ID laws because they would have an issue getting an ID were stupid and probably don't actually know many black people.

posted on Dec, 9 2016 @ 06:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

Voting isn't an actual Right.

Meanwhile leaving it open to those without ID leaves it open to people who wouldn't have a Right to even if it were a Right for US Citizens.

It is an actual right. Over 18, non-felon (in most states), US citizen..you can vote. If you are to turn 18 before the general election you can vote in the primaries.

When did it not become 'not an actual right'?

Show us in the Constitution where it says voting is a Right.

(post by Wardaddy454 removed for a manners violation)

posted on Dec, 9 2016 @ 08:02 PM
link   

sometimes up to $50

Source ?

And no , everyone needs an ID in normal life anyway. Unless they of course are illegal in one way or another...

posted on Dec, 9 2016 @ 08:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: Throes
I have to show my ID to do a lot of things. Makes sense that I should have to show my ID to vote.

Yeah, I don't really buy the argument that requiring id for voting is somehow "racist" or what have you. The argument runs that it's difficult for low income and historically disadvantaged groups such as certain minorities to be able have the money or agency to procure an id.

But if that's true, wouldn't this argument apply to every other activity that requires an id, from buying alcohol to driving a car to boarding a plane? How is this unique to voting?

posted on Dec, 9 2016 @ 08:48 PM
link   

A legal photo I D isn't a burden it's a fact of life.

posted on Dec, 9 2016 @ 08:54 PM
link   
I think some of you are missing another point in having an ID to vote.
If you vote those records are shared by the county. For taxes and lists for jury duty and a host of other civic stuff. For lower income people it's not the issue of the Dems saying it's "too hard or too expensive to get an Id" it's the cost later for those lower income people who DID, getting tagged for county or township wage taxes they hadn't paid, property taxes they hadn't paid and more I'm not thinking of.

Plus I'll be vilified for saying this but those on assistance don't always actually reside where they claim to and that will come out in the wash as well. Those folks could lose there benefits if that's the case.

So the Democrats knowing all this fight REALLY HARD to not rock the boat and keep fighting for the No ID needed to vote. It's a unsaid payoff to pander to their voters.

edit on 9-12-2016 by Caver78 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 9 2016 @ 09:32 PM
link   
Im sorry but how is this a bad thing?
Why has it not already beern done and how could anyone possibly have an issue with it?

This stamps out the possibility of illegals voting and legitimate voters voting twice, I seriously question the motives and sanity of anyone who has a problem with this going ahead

posted on Dec, 9 2016 @ 10:40 PM
link   
It's too hard to get a photo ID?

Doesn't anywhere that does driver registration sell them?

I have 5 on one corner a few blocks away!

posted on Dec, 9 2016 @ 11:12 PM
link   
a reply to: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

The Court affirmed the district court's interpretation that our Constitution “does not protect the right of all citizens to vote, but rather the right of all qualified citizens to vote.” ... As a result, voting is not a right, but a privilege granted or withheld at the discretion of local and state goverments.....

First result in googling is voting a right...

posted on Dec, 10 2016 @ 01:11 AM
link   
a reply to: Aeshma

Wouldn't one then have to still prove they were a citizen if it was a right? That's what I mean it's like a wtf moment...why wouldn't you want ID requirements for votes.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join