It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

GOP will kill Obamacare … AND THEN FUND IT

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+6 more 
posted on Dec, 9 2016 @ 02:48 PM
link   
GOP will kill Obamacare … and then fund it

After railing against insurer 'bailouts,' Republicans may have to offer something similar to prevent chaos while they craft a replacement.

They’re going to have to negotiate something that is safe enough for these insurance companies to tell their boards, ‘We’re not going to get hung out to dry if we provide coverage to these people.’”

But the enticements most likely to keep insurers in the exchanges are the ones in Obamacare that Republicans spent years denouncing as industry “bailouts” — subsidies that were supposed to insulate plans from big losses.

www.politico.com...

Interesting to see the GOP with unbridled power...Suddenly realizing that the people they were screaming at were right.

How again is the GOP going to replace Obamacare, but keep everything they say they want to keep?

By the time the GOP fully institute their rule come January...it looks like many of the pillars of their complaints were empty..So what was the issue with Pres. Obama again?

Alas...that's right...skin tone, party politics...and who profits the most...workers or the CEO's and Bankers trump has anointed.

“I don’t think anyone in our caucus wants to pull that rug out from underneath people,” said Sen. Ron Johnson (R-Wis.).

Hmmmmm...
edit on 9-12-2016 by Indigo5 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 9 2016 @ 02:54 PM
link   
My issue was/is with the affordable care act is simple...

My monthly cost for wife and child is $1378 with a $16,000 annual deductible...
Which means I would be in the mid 20s before insurance would kick in...

This is not a thought exercise or hypothetical scenario...it's reality...and about 5X more expensive than than the Blue Cross PPO I had for 14 years prior(with no issues)..

My Blue Cross Texas plan went bankrupt the first year of the ACA...
I switched to Aetna and it went bankrupt in 2016...

We are medically connected and were it not for friendships we would have no way to keep our chosen physicians...

Again, this is real life and not an imaginary scenario...it's our life and it's a scary reality.

-Chris

posted on Dec, 9 2016 @ 03:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: Christosterone
My issue was/is with the affordable care act is simple...

My monthly cost for wife and child is $1378 with a $16,000 annual deductible...
Which means I would be in the mid 20s before insurance would kick in...

Me?...Wife + 2 kids...individual market, 4k deductible...1400 and change

Higher than it was...but less than predicted pre-obamacare...

And I am in an expensive market...not sure where your numbers come from???

That said...It is either deprive pre-existing conditions and 20-30M people of health insurance and allow companies to deny insurance mid-disease (had a father in law that died of cancer pre-obamacare where they bankrupted the family by bailing on him) or come up with a better plan.

I am ALL FOR a better solution...lets see if the GOP can find one. ...Obviously I think that bitching is easier than problem solving...fingers crossed though!

This is Where THE RUBBER MEETS THE ROAD...Cuz if you spend 8 years screaming...You better have a better solution...AND SO FAR it looks like there solution is to pass a bill making a "promise" to repeal it while at the same time FULLY FUNDING IT...FOR YEARS.

edit on 9-12-2016 by Indigo5 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 9 2016 @ 03:05 PM
link   
Maybe Trump will see the real problem! it's malpractice insurance, as it is right now Insurance companies and lawyers get more than half of what doctors/hospitals make and it comes out of your pocket.

posted on Dec, 9 2016 @ 03:06 PM
link   
Remove the greed and save at least 50%. Using health as an capitalism endeavor doesn't end well. Wall Street in it, what does one expect.

posted on Dec, 9 2016 @ 03:06 PM
link   
a reply to: Indigo5

My problem is that I can't afford health care. Before Obamacare, if I got hurt, I'd go to the ER, get fixed and get a bill. If I couldn't afford the bill, I made payments.

With Obamacare, I still go to the ER and get billed. I just have a nice fine/tax to pay in addition to my bill. How is that helping?

It's a bad deal and needs changed!

posted on Dec, 9 2016 @ 03:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: roadgravel
Remove the greed and save at least 50%. Using health as an capitalism endeavor doesn't end well. Wall Street in it, what does one expect.

Work harder? Work Longer? Work Smarter? Innovate? ALL linked to capitalism...make more money.

Cancer has never given a sh(* how well you did in school or how hard you worked...

Healthcare has no place in a capitalistic equation...and I love and profit greatly from capitalism.

Healthcare should be socialized. Disease does not respond to intelligence or work ethic.

posted on Dec, 9 2016 @ 03:11 PM
link   
Rates are determined by numerous factors, most importantly income...

Add in the huge non-paying population in my state(Texas) and u get what we have...

We got a mid range plan offered(not the most or least expensive)

The cheapest plan offered us was $1100 monthly with a $12k deductible...but it was absolutely pathetic in it's coverage...

Our other choice was to pay the penalty which as a percentage of our income could exceed the cost of the premiums and deductible so we chose to get coverage...

-Chris

posted on Dec, 9 2016 @ 03:13 PM
link   
One thing is certain; regardless of who's in power; the insurance companies and their stockholders will profit and those holding the policy will still get it in the ***! I worked for an insurance man and he advised me to get stock in the ______ company. Great advice!!!

Trump....man of the people!

edit on 9-12-2016 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 9 2016 @ 03:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: KawRider9

My problem is that I can't afford health care. Before Obamacare, if I got hurt, I'd go to the ER, get fixed and get a bill. If I couldn't afford the bill, I made payments.

With Obamacare, I still go to the ER and get billed. I just have a nice fine/tax to pay in addition to my bill. How is that helping?

No offense...but pre-obamacare you were having raw tax-payer dollars pay for your ER visits.

What you are doing now...is still going to the ER and having raw tax-payer dollars pay for your healthcare...And for some reason not signing up for the subsidies you are eligible for. If the ER is your GP...then you must be earning a low enough wage to qualify for subsidies...Why not sign up on the Gov Exchange?

posted on Dec, 9 2016 @ 03:16 PM
link   

How again is the GOP going to replace Obamacare, but keep everything they say they want to keep?

The same way they always do: distract people with some other bogeyman. While distracting us with the "War on Terror" and constant color-coded terror alerts, they happily followed through on Pres Clinton's economic policies with China by helping companies send millions of jobs there. And going by their rhetoric, you'd never know that more Republicans voted for NAFTA than Democrats did (or that Republican Presidents happily run federal budget deficits).

But this should've been obvious from the beginning. The Left wing wanted single payer healthcare, Medicare-for-All, or at least a public option. But all of those were rejected for Obamacare/ACA, which was literally modeled after Romneycare in Massachusetts. But this info always gets ignored by the constant fearmongering and distractions.

So I firmly expect them to distract us by simply changing the narrative while keeping most elements of Obamacare/ACA in place. Maybe they'll make a huge mess of the Trump Wall or launch a new "catastrophic and catalyzing event – like a new Pearl Harbor" to get us to forget about this.

posted on Dec, 9 2016 @ 03:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: KawRider9

It's a bad deal and needs changed!

My wife is an ER physician..
Can I make a request?
Stop abusing the ER...that first letter "E" stands for EMERGENCY...

Please allow the hospitals resources to help people who in an EMERGENCY situation instead of using it as your own personal physician...

Thanks in advance..

-Chris

posted on Dec, 9 2016 @ 03:25 PM
link   

Obama is a weak President with a poor domestic policy especially regarding social issues.

It isn't his skintone as you so like to BS
edit on 9-12-2016 by ksiezyc because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 9 2016 @ 03:27 PM
link   

You are correct. Almost half of our healthcare costs is profit for insurance companies. We must go to a universal healthcare system if we are truly concerned about costs and value life.

Eventually we will get there, but I don't think it will be under the Dems or Reps.

posted on Dec, 9 2016 @ 03:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: introvert

You are correct. Almost half of our healthcare costs is profit for insurance companies. We must go to a universal healthcare system if we are truly concerned about costs and value life.

Universal health care is a non starter because we really don't care or value life. As I look out my office window on 3rd st, I see hundreds of homeless, men women and children, on their way to the shelter to get something to eat. At least the brothers at St. Martins care about human life but they are in the distinct minority. Capitalism rules the day. Profit is the new GOD.

Thank God we have a businessman in the White House.

posted on Dec, 9 2016 @ 03:53 PM
link   
Anything they can do to fix Obamacare will be greatly appreciated. It's been nothing but a dumpster fire since the Democrats passed it so we could find out what was in it.

posted on Dec, 9 2016 @ 03:59 PM
link   
In eight years the GOP could never come up with their own plan, because their own plan all along was Obama care w/o the mandates (Palin's "death panels", too lol ). Left up to the Koch-Trump wing, there would be NO govt assistance at all for anyone (no govt institutions for health care, Social Security, or Medicare). The Paul Ryan wing would still keep those institutions, but would "privatize" them, i.e. give tax payer dollars to businesses to do those services (pigs feeding at the trough). So, with Republicans you get either no federal govt (except military and a very few other very limited functions) or federal govt that is a pass through of taxpayer dollars to business.

IMO the GOP could complain about "Obamacare" all they wanted the past eight years, because it was good for fundraising and also as a vent for their racist members. They knew that once they got out of the way of any opposing power (I.e. Dems), they would have their GOP-Obamacare AND at the same time turn Medicare into a subsidized program a la Obamacare. (And also begin to privatize Social Security with subsidies to insurance companies for annuities.... a la Obamacare for health ins.)
edit on 9-12-2016 by desert because: sp

posted on Dec, 9 2016 @ 04:14 PM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

I'm not a religious person, but I have faith that we will eventually find a way.

posted on Dec, 9 2016 @ 04:15 PM
link   
They don`t give a crap about the people the reason they won`t get rid of obamacare is because the insurance companies are making money from it. The voices of insurance company lobbyists speaks louder then the voices of hard pressed middle class americans.

posted on Dec, 9 2016 @ 04:25 PM
link   
a reply to: Christosterone

Don't assume brother.

My Mom, Brother and three Sisters work at the same hospital, all in the ER. I only go there when it requires bone setting or multiple stitches we can't do at home. I'm self employed, don't abuse any system and pay my way.

I'd get thrown out of the ER if I went there for BS!

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join