It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Heroin deaths surpass gun homicides for the first time, CDC data shows

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 9 2016 @ 12:10 PM
link   
One point that has been missed with the rise of overdoses is their use in suicide and euthanasia. While some like the certainty and power of a gun, most prefer the cleaner and pain reducing ride of the overdose. The overdose is also the most common method used by doctors and other medical staff when they are to assist in a suicide. We all have to die some way and there are many ways to go that are a lot worst than an overdose.

It is unfortunate that there is a lot of exploitation, ignorance and dependency for those with opium addictions. It is tough how much of a priority the opium becomes for those hooked on it, with many social implications.

With overdoses outnumbering gun wounds, it is good to see there is more effort going in to treating pain rather than inflicting it.

posted on Dec, 9 2016 @ 12:42 PM
link   
a reply to: savemebarry

What? 2 days of sickness for a few hours of buzz? You obviously have never done it or known a person who has cause NONE of what you said is in no way true. It takes very little to feel the euphoria and kicks in IMMEDIATELY in most cases. You get sick from NOT having it not doing it

posted on Dec, 9 2016 @ 12:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: crazyewok
So what?

Really. We all die at some point. If idiots want to kill themselfs with drugs why should I care? Their choice......

It mostly isn't their choice to get addicted to pain meds in the first place though.

It's a failure of the health care system that pushes drugs unto people - without access to the programs that can help them stay off after they no longer need them.

Of course, there's always personal responsibility and yes, I would say a good swath of them are not in the category I mention above, but it's still worth noting that drug abuse is mental health issue, not a drug issue in most cases - and relates directly back to the healthcare system and how it treats pain.

~Tenth

posted on Dec, 9 2016 @ 01:01 PM
link   
a reply to: tothetenthpower

Anywhere there is social deprivation there is always a variety of drugs to be had, and its the same at the top of the ladder also. Only difference is the price and quality of the drugs consumed.

I imagine a lot of people take drugs simply because they are board and/or disillusioned with life and reality. And lets not forget in the short term they make you feel dam good.

End of the day i agree it is a mental health issue and one that we seem unwilling to address or deal with appropriately. Christ if you go to your GP in the UK and declare you have a heroin problem chances are you will be placed on an almost endless waiting list for a drug rehabilitation facility, and be proscribed Methadone essentially so you don't have rob and plunder to feed the addiction.

Talk about replacing one demon with another, the mind simply boggles.

posted on Dec, 9 2016 @ 01:52 PM
link   
1. Economic crash

2. People lose jobs

3. People go on unemployment

4. Unemployment dries up

5. No jobs

6. People discover disability

7. Docs sign them on to disability

8 Disability comes with pain meds

9. People get hooked meds

10 Heroine epidemic

posted on Dec, 10 2016 @ 10:44 AM
link   
For years there were a large number of doctors out there that gave out OXYCONTIN like candy for things that could have been treated with low dose Vicodin.
And at the same time they owned or worked for drug rehab businesses.

These doctors would get people hooked then line there pockets with money from TRYING to get them unhooked.

vary few of these doctors ever got sued for malpractice.

posted on Oct, 19 2017 @ 09:41 AM
link   
a reply to: Martin75

I just did a thread on the crisis and how Washington is involved. They cut the DEA's power to stop suspect shipmnts. ( MILLION pills got sent to Kermit W.Va. in one instance!

I dont know if you saw 60 minutes last Sunday, but Sen, Tom Marino sponsored the bill that stripped the DEA's powers, and was just nominated to be the drug czar!!!

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join