It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Heroin deaths surpass gun homicides for the first time, CDC data shows

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 9 2016 @ 09:31 AM
link   
a reply to: savemebarry

Thing with drugs of all sorts is that when the comedown and/or side effects outweigh the initial high most people have the common sense not to pursue the habit. Age and social status also play there part in people coming to there senses.

I agree that prohibition and/or our inability to address such addictions are also a contributing factor but lets face it opiates and other class A substances are never going to be made legal in the same manner as alcohol, tobacco or caffeine just down to peoples social value system, which lets face it, is hypocritical at best and draconian to the extreme at worst.

Education is the key combined with the redistribution of wealth, none of which we have the resources or will to address in any meaningful manner while we pursue the current human paradigm.

posted on Dec, 9 2016 @ 09:44 AM
link   
a reply to: Boadicea

Well, being a caring and Loving Soul and 'most likely' an "Empath" (I've included a fun 'Are You an Empath'?)

www.empathtest.com...

Go up a few posts and log that Kratom™ info. This will come in handy when a 'friend You haven't yet met' appears and has that "Jones"...

May the wind continue to be at Your back....

posted on Dec, 9 2016 @ 09:45 AM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus
I think you would be surprised how many interactions you have with heroin users. Do I have friends that use? No.

But all you have to do is go out in public here and you meet them. Many wonder life in a daze...it is sad.

Due to working in a hospital I have learned to pick up on the little nuances that flag the normal users. (I work in IT, I am not a nurse and yet just being in this environment has opened my eyes quite a bit).

(Sorry I have been unable to find the full film free)

Ever heard of Jesco White (not heroin but it shows what drugs can do to a family...heck it could be heroin too)

posted on Dec, 9 2016 @ 09:47 AM
link   
And this thread doesn't even begin to touch on the other new wave of drugs....Synthetics.

(We have had many die from synthetic marijuana...when the natural would have just given them a buzz)
edit on 12/9/2016 by Martin75 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 9 2016 @ 09:53 AM
link   
a reply to: Martin75

I know people who work full time and have been using for years. It isn't a problem for them as long as they can get some. Tbh I nearly started dating a girl who I found out was on it for over ten years, it shocked me because I thought I would have been able to tell but she didn't look nor act like a junkie and to this day holds down a good job working for the local council....she still uses and I know her pals have attempted to get her to stop but she just says if it ever becomes a problem she will seek help.
But then again I have known pals who took it a few times and it either killed them or ruined their lives.
Every user is different I suppose...I just thank Bod that I never injected it because I sort of have an addiction problem with drugs cos I like them.

posted on Dec, 9 2016 @ 09:56 AM
link   
a reply to: testingtesting

She must just be smoking it then because mainlining heroin would have had an obvious effect on her body after 10 years of use.

posted on Dec, 9 2016 @ 09:58 AM
link   
a reply to: andy06shake

Not sure tbh I was put off her when I found out she is a lovely girl but I aint risking a relationshipwith her because of the H.

posted on Dec, 9 2016 @ 09:59 AM
link   
Our culture is poisoned by greed and materialism

We have lost our humanity

posted on Dec, 9 2016 @ 10:01 AM
link   
a reply to: testingtesting

Sensible decision there i imagine.

Junk is never a long term solution to anything and chances are people who have used for such an extended period of time are just as screwed up as the junkies on the corner, they just manage to hide it better.
edit on 9-12-2016 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 9 2016 @ 10:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: TrueBrit

See, this is what I do not understand worth a damn.

I know people who have chronic pain problems. I know one fellow who had a history of addiction back in the day, who developed a severe back injury, which required significant surgery. He was on pain medication, and still is, but he never would have turned around and delved into the street dirt, because he is just a million times smarter than that. Hes no genius, but a damned sight smarter than that.

Where did all the idiots come from? Because from what I can tell of the stuff, you would have to be pants on head mad to even consider experimenting with that junk.

Thats what i think when i see those junkies. Tbh, i tried a lot of drugs, like '___', Speed, pure opium, cocain. But i stayed with weed, the other drugs were kind of a test, because i am very curious. But never ever i would have come to the idea to try heroin, it´s the dirtiest of all that common drugs.

I mean, everybody knows how junkies look like, how they act. I am not talking about the ones that have money for clean drugs and good doctors, that can use heroin for decades. I am talking about those stealing, robbing and burglaring wrecks that would sell their own mothers for heroin. Those you can see in hordes at "their" places, here in Cologne it´s right in the middle of the city, where everybody enters or leaves tramps, tourists, children...

Everybody knows that these Zombies are only Zombies because of heroin. I don´t know how somebody can come up with the idea: Hey, that looks funny, i want to use heroin... I can not speak about that Oxycontin stuff, because here in germany i never heard about people getting pills that make them heroin addicts. But isn´t it a hard difference between getting some legal pills and to walk to any not so secure corner to buy some street-heroin? How does one come up with such an idea, if he hadn´t to do with the scene before? And grown people should know the negative effects of heroin. Even children know that nowadays.

So how can a human being be so... sorry... stupid to make anything worse with using heroin? I don´t know how one(mental sane person) could get addicted to heroin if he wasn´t forced to use heroin for about two weeks. Who wants to transform himself into a Zombie?

That´s one thing i never could understand, how stupid one must be to use heroin voluntary.

posted on Dec, 9 2016 @ 10:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: JimNasium

Well, being a caring and Loving Soul and 'most likely' an "Empath" (I've included a fun 'Are You an Empath'?)

www.empathtest.com...

Wow! I scored 76 out of 80, giving me the "super serious title" of "The Planetary Healer Empath." But I apparently have some work to do...

Sorry, but you scored the lowest on the "Has Protection Tools" section of the quiz. This indicates that you are definitely an out of control healer and you would benefit immensely from energy work, cord-removal, and protection tools. You are a wonderful and loving person. You are also what is known as an "out of control healer!" You would benefit immensely from energy work and empathic tools for releasing guilt and responsibility.

My hubby would wholeheartedly agree with that part. He calls me a "force of nature," but also says he can literally see some people just drain the energy right out of me... I may have to check into this a little more. I have a little, but I've never really given it the time or energy it probably deserves.

So thank you!

Go up a few posts and log that Kratom™ info. This will come in handy when a 'friend You haven't yet met' appears and has that "Jones"...

May the wind continue to be at Your back....

I'll go find the kratom info now...

posted on Dec, 9 2016 @ 10:09 AM
link   
a reply to: DerBeobachter

"Where did all the idiots come from? Because from what I can tell of the stuff, you would have to be pants on head mad to even consider experimenting with that junk."

Because misery loves company and nobody who ever uses gear the first time ever imagines they will become a junkie.

Fact is many people who have tried Heroin don't become addicted but a significant percentage of people who do and have a predisposition towards addiction do become addicted.

That's how it happens.

posted on Dec, 9 2016 @ 10:20 AM
link   
a reply to: JimNasium
Interesting link: I am The Moon Goddess Empath

edit on 12/9/2016 by Martin75 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 9 2016 @ 10:39 AM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

Most of the new age users smoke or snort the drug. Shooting is the final phase of the abuse, where most but not all overdoses tend to occur.

Overdose is most common when a user has to find a new supplier. Whether the supplier got offed, arrested or is out of drugs.

Most users overdose when they are given stronger drugs than they are used to, or drugs that have been adultered with something else.

Users use the same amount every use as thats what they are used to and many are simply fighting to fend off withdrawl or dope sickness. So naturally once they find a supply they may not be used to, the use what they think is the same dose they always do, and bam overdose and die...

posted on Dec, 9 2016 @ 10:49 AM
link   
a reply to: Aeshma

"Overdose is most common when a user has to find a new supplier. Whether the supplier got offed, arrested or is out of drugs."

Just like with another drug the supplier has to contend with dodgy kilos with rather more impurities than people are used to, it can go the other way also, and have people falling out and dropping like flies down to the fact that gear is somewhat more pure than they are used to.

Junkies tend to know who has the best product at any given moment down to there street skill and/or cohabitation in hostels/homeless shelters or on the street.

Fact is they are rather adept at what they do, poor sods have skills and they don't even relies it half the time.

posted on Dec, 9 2016 @ 10:59 AM
link   

Something like "Worrying/caring/helping the 'other You' and then once they're fixed and have moved along You still have remnants? For those folks that Your Hubby opines sap Your energy, a tad bit longer down "The Path" and You'll soon be able to repel them w/just a thought..

posted on Dec, 9 2016 @ 11:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: Martin75
a reply to: JimNasium
Interesting link: I am The Moon Goddess Empath

Marty Lunar Creator-

Probably because You have a warm binkie for Your dog in Your shed...

posted on Dec, 9 2016 @ 11:15 AM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

Then you never guarded poppy fields in Afghanistan and have a very
NARROW view of what opiod addiction is and just how different people are!
Nobody is the same and we all react to stimuli differntly!

I honestly expected a more open view from you!

posted on Dec, 9 2016 @ 11:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: TrueBrit

See, this is what I do not understand worth a damn.

I know people who have chronic pain problems. I know one fellow who had a history of addiction back in the day, who developed a severe back injury, which required significant surgery. He was on pain medication, and still is, but he never would have turned around and delved into the street dirt, because he is just a million times smarter than that. Hes no genius, but a damned sight smarter than that.

Where did all the idiots come from? Because from what I can tell of the stuff, you would have to be pants on head mad to even consider experimenting with that junk.

There are two main reasons why CPP patients don't turn into junkies shooting up behind dumpsters.

One is supply. Opiates are only a problem when the person runs out. Then the desperation sets in, because you have a day in front of you crapping your pants, throwing up, and feeling even worse than that mentally. That's when the robberies and thefts happen with a lot of junkies. A CPP (chronic pain patient) doesn't have to worry about that because they're scripted a monthly allowance of their drug.

Two, is the culture of illegality heroin is surrounded with. Most of the bad things associated with heroin use are because it's illegal. HIV, hepatitis and other diseases, are spread through sharing needles because in most places you can't buy needles without a prescription.

Overdoses happen because of the culture of illegality as well. There is no quality control like the medicines your chronic pain patients get, so the dose a person is taking is unknown every time they take it. This is one of the main reasons illegal heroin is so dangerous.

I've been saying for years, legalize, regulate, tax. Opiates are some of the safest drugs if used correctly, but most illegal users aren't educated about it. These people aren't idiots, they just find themselves in a bad place going through temporary mental problems brought on by lack of the drug.

Moral of the story is, opiates are one of the drugs that become more dangerous and harmful once they're made illegal.

posted on Dec, 9 2016 @ 11:42 AM
link   
So what?

Really. We all die at some point. If idiots want to kill themselfs with drugs why should I care? Their choice......

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join