It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Heroin deaths surpass gun homicides for the first time, CDC data shows

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 9 2016 @ 06:33 AM
link   
Heroin deaths surpass gun homicides for the first time, CDC data shows

Opioid deaths continued to surge in 2015, surpassing 30,000 for the first time in recent history, according to CDC data released Thursday.
That marks an increase of nearly 5,000 deaths from 2014. Deaths involving powerful synthetic opiates, like fentanyl, rose by nearly 75 percent from 2014 to 2015.

Heroin deaths spiked too, rising by more than 2,000 cases. For the first time since at least the late 1990s, there were more deaths due to heroin than to traditional opioid painkillers, like hydrocodone and oxycodone.

"The epidemic of deaths involving opioids continues to worsen," said CDC Director Tom Frieden in a statement. "Prescription opioid misuse and use of heroin and illicitly manufactured fentanyl are intertwined and deeply troubling problems."

This is horrible. And it isn’t just happening in the cities, it is nationwide! I live in a very rural area and we probably see as much if not more than what inner cities are faced with.

According to health officials, Mercer County, West Virginia now has the most per capita hepatitis B cases in the nation and ranks third for the number of hepatitis C infections.
Per capita, Mercer County has the highest number of people living with hepatitis B in the country and the third most for hepatitis C. It’s been that way for at least 3 years and Mercer County Public Health Nurse Judy Bolton says the numbers continue to climb.

This is not what we want to be known for…but it is. This article is from 2011, and it has done nothing but get worse.
I wish I knew the answers, but whatever we are doing now is NOT working. It’s time to scratch the current plan and go back to the drawing boards.

Link to Washington Post
Appalachia's hepatitis C infection rates soar
WV DHHR

posted on Dec, 9 2016 @ 06:37 AM
link   
a reply to: Martin75

The bbc showed this last month.

www.bbc.co.uk...

It appears Heroin is on the rise 500k hooked on it more deaths due to heroin then car accidents now also. Many of the users are white middle class people also.
Horrid drug tbh lost a couple of pals to it.
edit on 9-12-2016 by testingtesting because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 9 2016 @ 06:40 AM
link   

That is a disturbing trend.

I wonder how long it will be before the heroin deaths outweigh vehicular means of shuffling off the mortal coil? God forbid things get that bad!

Care to comment on why this is happening? Is it simply an increase in demand, or an increase in street availability, a drop in price perhaps? What makes statistically significantly more people decide to jam poison into their veins?

posted on Dec, 9 2016 @ 06:43 AM
link   
Despair leads people to do things they never thought they'd do. No jobs, no money, debt, no future...........People turn to drugs or alcohol to escape. It may be a bit more complicated, but you can't tell me that our piss poor economic outlook and rising drug use are not connected.

posted on Dec, 9 2016 @ 06:50 AM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit
See the post above you...it seems your fear is coming true.

Here in the Appalachian it seems to stem from prescription pill abuse. The doctors write scripts such as Oxycontin, then one day tell them enough is enough, no more. Or their need outweighs what they are able to get. You then turn to what "gets you by".

I blame a lot on the doctors. They don't explain to them just how addicting it is. Trying to find a way to ease true pain then becomes a struggle for them to live. This is a horrible drug and heroine is it's cheap sister.

edit on 12/9/2016 by Martin75 because: Corrected mistakes

posted on Dec, 9 2016 @ 06:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: TrueBrit

Care to comment on why this is happening? Is it simply an increase in demand, or an increase in street availability, a drop in price perhaps? What makes statistically significantly more people decide to jam poison into their veins?

The main reason IMO is prescription pain killers are so easily available. What is happening is you are now getting younger kids taking them mostly to party with and such. What ends up happening with these highly addictive drugs is they end up needed to take them.

Now when they are spending 90 bucks for 3 pills and they can buy 1 bag of heroine for 10 bucks that does the same effect. You can sort if see as to why people turn to a drug like that

Its not just kids being effected either.

posted on Dec, 9 2016 @ 06:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: Zerodoublehero

originally posted by: TrueBrit

The main reason IMO is prescription pain killers are so easily available. What is happening is you are now getting younger kids taking them mostly to party with and such. What ends up happening with these highly addictive drugs is they end up needed to take them.

Now when they are spending 90 bucks for 3 pills and they can buy 1 bag of heroine for 10 bucks that does the same effect. You can sort if see as to why people turn to a drug like that

Its not just kids being effected either.

Street heroine is nowhere near the potency of one OxyContin.

posted on Dec, 9 2016 @ 06:58 AM
link   
Here are a few videos if you are interested

edit on 12/9/2016 by Martin75 because: Added videos

posted on Dec, 9 2016 @ 07:00 AM
link   

See, this is what I do not understand worth a damn.

I know people who have chronic pain problems. I know one fellow who had a history of addiction back in the day, who developed a severe back injury, which required significant surgery. He was on pain medication, and still is, but he never would have turned around and delved into the street dirt, because he is just a million times smarter than that. Hes no genius, but a damned sight smarter than that.

Where did all the idiots come from? Because from what I can tell of the stuff, you would have to be pants on head mad to even consider experimenting with that junk.

posted on Dec, 9 2016 @ 07:03 AM
link   
Was he prescribed Oxy? Oxy doesn't just find idiots....it finds everyone!

I used to believe that becoming a drug addict was a choice you make. At some time you pick it up....but it's not always that simple.

Many addicts started taking pills as kids to party...yes they made the choice.
But MANY others were pulled down before they even realized that anything had grabbed a hold of them. Then they have no where to turn. Dr's stop the Oxy scripts cold turkey and the person's body goes crazy. They are faced with a decision...suffer or find something else to numb the new pain.

posted on Dec, 9 2016 @ 07:10 AM
link   

Where did all the idiots come from? Because from what I can tell of the stuff, you would have to be pants on head mad to even consider experimenting with that junk.

It's not about that Brit, to me and you it's an easy no.

But think about this. For years, you are for example on Medicare or Medicaid and getting a steady supply of pain killers for a legit issue. Now you never should have needed those hardcore narcotics in the first place as you could have used any number of other remedies.

Anyway, fast word and loose your job, or your medical insurance etc. But you're still in pain. Even worse, now you're in withdrawl from not getting 80mg of Oxy every day.

Heroin at...you know..30$ a hit ( unsure of that actually but when I was in that sort of scene it's what the cost was) that's cheap as hell, considering 80mg Oxy can go for 120$ on the street.

Our medical system and pharmaceutical industry drive this trend. And because treatment is largely paid for by state or federal organisations, or charitable ones, there's far more money to be made in treatment with methadone for example, than prevention.

~Tenth

posted on Dec, 9 2016 @ 07:19 AM
link   
a reply to: DAVID64

They go hand and hand. The amount of full time-good paying jobs are mostly gone for millenials. A college degree means nothing unless it's in engineering and even then those jobs are ripe with foreigners working with a visa for way less than an American would do the job for. I know plenty of people my age that are working at restaurants and oil rigs with bachelor and master degrees. Its depressing, the left has sold our country on providing for all of these other countries but somewhere along the way we forgot to make sure our own people were cared for. - end rant

posted on Dec, 9 2016 @ 07:21 AM
link   
i think this is happening due to a dealer/supplier/or manufacturer somewhere along the way cutting the powder heroin with FENTANYL or other synthetic much stronger and more dangerous than heroin alone in order to boost potency in hopes to hook a user and get them coming back sooner. I read a story a month or 2 ago that reported 174 overdoses around the Cincinnati area in SIX DAYS. this is all because the heroin was cut with CARFENTANIL which is an ELEPHANT TRANZUILIZER 10,000 times stronger than MORPHINE (which is already a few times stronger than heroin. I have never seen a similar story here in texas or the south for that matter. Note!: we have TAR heroin here which is much more difficult to cut with deadly contaminants (although can still happen, of course. as it always will until all drugs are regulated/controlled.)

posted on Dec, 9 2016 @ 07:29 AM
link   

Most of us addicts are aware of the stuff being junk and not good for you, we just don't care hence the term addict lol. And once you get into it more and more its pretty obvious that teachers, cops, parents, etc greatly exaggerated the consequences of using (ONE TIME WILL KILL YOU) which just a controlling method and not true. Some drugs they don't want us doing are not any worse than the DRUGS they say are okay. DESOXYN (prescription methamps. , OXYCONTIN(synthetic heroin, ADDERALL (amps., RITILAN (synthetic coc aine, XANAX (pretty comparable to alcohol) they want us on drugs as long as its THEIR drugs.

posted on Dec, 9 2016 @ 07:31 AM
link   
Food for thought...

Opium production in Afghanistan has been on the rise since U.S. occupation started in 2001.

Global Research

"Production" must include some 'product' that gets shipped out. How is it that opium is getting out of Afghanistan? If numbers of addicts are on the rise globally (Independant), how is it that a military occupied country with few roads in and out can smuggle (tons?) of 'product' out?

Adding:

worldnewsdaily

edit on 9-12-2016 by intrptr because: Adding:

posted on Dec, 9 2016 @ 07:35 AM
link   
Greetings-

What if I typed that this was by design?? Remember all the "Pill Mills"? All those folks that got cut-off from those just didn't give up their 'Jones' they just turned to a cheaper, more readily available substitute Heroin. And because street dealers enjoy success, they have started to cut the Heroin w/Fentanyl™..

Now I type this from a Law Enforcement background. I was working during the "Crack War" and all those folks are just now getting out after doing their 20-25 year bits. Now We have "Private Prisons/Private Jails" and those that are getting out need to be replaced. Hello Opiate Abusers. The Private Incarceration Business is $3B/yearly.

In 2001, Afghanistan supplied 7% of the world's Opium. Now it is closer to 90%. Why did We invade A-Stan again?

en.wikipedia.org...

You want to know how I know this?? Because the FDA™ has made a natural opiate antagonizer a Schedule 1 along w/the aforementioned Heroin and that other "killer" Cannabis. (marihuana for the Gov't. goons)

opiateaddictionsupport.com...
www.drugs.com...

What can We deduce from this? BigPHarma™ doesn't want You growing Your own medicine (Cannabis) but if You're addicted to one of their poisons they don't want You getting clean "naturally" so You'll have to just die or get over it...

I can also type Y'all this: More dope is NOT being used in the low income housing more than that of the Suburbs. Its just folks in the low income housing WON'T hire a private attorney and will play the 'Plea Bargain Game'. Of course this looks like a "Win" Federally so more tax $$$ are given to buy more militaristic snip no local Police Dep't. really ever needs..

Proud Member of LEAP• Law Enforcement Against Prohibition

posted on Dec, 9 2016 @ 07:38 AM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

Haha the only logical and obvious conclusion would be our soldiers are UNDER ORDERS: a) smuggling it themselves or the more likely scenario b) they are in cahoots with and allowing a group to smuggle it out and sell it as much as they want w no fear of repercussions.

posted on Dec, 9 2016 @ 07:42 AM
link   
a reply to: JimNasium

OMG could wiki have picked a more obviously incriminationg photo with a military tank parked , guarding the poppy field!?!?

posted on Dec, 9 2016 @ 07:49 AM
link   
there are a few factors in play here. main thing is the quality now is better. H was hard to come by and it was pretty cut by the time it reached the end user, in street slang it was bunk. now it comes for afghanistan and is much easier to come by and more potent . around 2004 is when i saw it making a big come back. a lot of high school kids started overdosing then. it became this cool edgy thing to do for a lot of kids. the older crowd got hooked from big pharma. and to reply to TrueBrit, it sounds like your friend can afford his pills. you don't take pills for a long time and not get addicted. and once you don't have insurance and can't pay the out of pocket cost, you look some were else. its not the people that have an endless supply of pain killers that jump on the H train, its the people that no longer can afford or have access to painkillers. a friend of mine had a bad back and took painkillers every day for it. i saw him recently and he was nodding out. i knew what he was on and i called him out on it. he said he wasn't and he was on painkillers for his back. there was nothing i could really do. well a couple of days later he was found dead in bed from an OD. i thought this guy was to smart to ever do some that stupid, but never underestimate addiction.

posted on Dec, 9 2016 @ 07:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: JakeR777
a reply to: JimNasium

OMG could wiki have picked a more obviously incriminationg photo with a military tank parked , guarding the poppy field!?!?

And how many gross tons could a tank haul out??? Fill it up and then watch as bullets graze off the tank carrying the bundles of death. This way Tanks kill 1,000s w/out firing a single round...I'm beginning to think that even "fake news" (or Gov't. info seines like Google™) even have the TRUTH hidden somewhere in the display...

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join