It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The latest assault on internet freedom

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 9 2016 @ 07:22 AM
link   
a reply to: DJW001

So your definition of internet freedom is doing what you want and accepting the consequences?

The reason there are rules in the first place is so people know what the consequences are if they break them. Break those rules and you get what you get (banned, ip blocked, arrested etc). Without technical censorship*, the internet would be overrun with undesirable images, videos and illicit substances for sale.

*we're all technically censored in one form or another.

posted on Dec, 9 2016 @ 07:27 AM
link   

In other words:

TPTB/Media - We are the ones who make up the news. You aren't supposed to question us just because we are lying. You obviously don't understand how this is supposed to work. So, we are going to set up guidelines that force you to accept our version of the truth and if you challenge us we will lock you up and throw away the key. Yes, you still have freedom of speech, as long as its the scripted speech we prepared for you...

posted on Dec, 9 2016 @ 07:36 AM
link   
Before 9/11 there was a lot more integrity in the media machine, since then there has been a lot of culling and dismantling of professional standards to maintain the illusion for war. A lot of good men and women have been moved on for questioning official policy.

Now 15 years on from this event, the mountain of lies that has evolved as more lies are needed to cover the past lies, no wonder everyone is confused and don't know who or what to trust.

posted on Dec, 9 2016 @ 07:46 AM
link   

I have been saying it for a while that this presidency will be the year the Gov't, Lobbying, and MSM go full retard on the internet.

The internet with its currently uncontrolled bidirectional feedback from all the little joes and joettes, has made it to easy to see through their Propaganda.

posted on Dec, 9 2016 @ 09:25 AM
link   

I cant tell you its fake news, but it looks like a rather suspicious source? Pravda.rt.gov?

Doesnt look reliable to me.

posted on Dec, 9 2016 @ 10:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: DJW001
Americans are complaining against the assault on "fake news," feeling that it is a form of government censorship.

The whole idea of government is control of information.

By controlling the information that enters people's heads, you control the people.

If everybody is allowed to create and distribute any information they want, then you can't control the people.

That leads to a state of anarchy.

In communism, the government overtly controls the information, and directly stops people from saying whatever they want. The people must toe the party line.

In a democracy, everybody is allowed to say "almost" whatever they want, with a few exceptions, and the government squashes and suppresses the information they don't want distributed by countering it with alternative information repeatedly, burying the unwelcome information under a large volume of disinformation. So, in effect, people are allowed mostly "free speech", but not allowed to "be freely heard".

Either way, by suppressing the voices (communism), or blocking the ears (democracy), the government controls the information that enters people's minds.

But, the Internet is making this necessary control all the more difficult for governments all around the world.

People are seeking out the "alternative information" which the government is not providing, and deciding for themselves what to think and what to believe.

Governments all over are in a state of panic.

posted on Dec, 9 2016 @ 11:37 AM
link   

Representatives where... Russia, USA ?? what country is this from..... you only mention America in OP yet the link is in the Russian Language from a Russian Government website, why would it be fake news?

posted on Dec, 9 2016 @ 12:37 PM
link   
First paragraph translated from OP source

Sure seems to be coming from and applying to Russia

DECREE THE PRESIDENT OF THE RUSSIAN FEDERATION
On approval of the Doctrine of Information Security Russian Federation In order to ensure the information security of the Russian Federation of n s t a n o I hereby:
1. To approve the Information Security Doctrine Russian Federation.
2. To recognize as invalid the Doctrine of Information security of the Russian Federation, approved by the President Russian Federation September 9, 2000 № Pr-1895.
3. This Decree shall enter into force on the day of its signing.

Russian President
Vladimir Putin Moscow Kremlin
December 5, 2016
number 646

Interesting that it was posted. Wonder why? A blueprint?

posted on Dec, 9 2016 @ 02:54 PM
link   
Its not a bipartisan mandate is it , its russian .

The russians were due a cyberattacks or they suffered them recently .

posted on Dec, 9 2016 @ 03:01 PM
link   
Having one central story line and one source of information is not necessarily a bad thing if the information is the correct information. A united population is strong.

However, if the apparatus is hijacked then the wrong story line could be fed to the population.

So how does one know when the story is correct? It seems like an intelligent population would be able to determine this for themselves.

Thus we see the current desperation of the Left. The Left preys on the weak who can not figure out the proper actions on their own. The Left is constantly trying to grab hold of the weak among the population. If there are not enough weaklings to make up a powerful voting block, then the Left seeks to increase the number of weaklings in the population. This stuff is all so obvious. Or should be.

edit on 9-12-2016 by Generation9 because: continuing

posted on Dec, 9 2016 @ 04:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: AMPTAH

People are seeking out the "alternative information" which the government is not providing, and deciding for themselves what to think and what to believe.
Governments all over are in a state of panic.

They are

#As in the US the people have elected a POTUS not from the usual entrenched dynasty's

#The British have chosen to leave the EU with its restrictive clutches ....

#Lets see if France, Spain or Italy follow and vote to regain their independence?

To a freer world .... and hopefully freer people!

posted on Dec, 9 2016 @ 09:56 PM
link   
a reply to: liveandlearn

Exactly: it is now the law in Russia. It's amazing how many people did not click on the link and just assumed it was Obama.

posted on Dec, 9 2016 @ 09:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: Simon1967

Representatives where... Russia, USA ?? what country is this from..... you only mention America in OP yet the link is in the Russian Language from a Russian Government website, why would it be fake news?

Puzzle it out. I nearly posted this in "Deconstructing Disinformation."
edit on 9-12-2016 by DJW001 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 9 2016 @ 09:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: TonyS

I cant tell you its fake news, but it looks like a rather suspicious source? Pravda.rt.gov?

Doesnt look reliable to me.

It's perfectly reliable. It is the Russian government laying down the law.

posted on Dec, 9 2016 @ 09:59 PM
link   
a reply to: Vroomfondel

You didn't click on the link, did you? That is the very least you can do if you are going to be a wise consumer of news.
edit on 9-12-2016 by DJW001 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 9 2016 @ 10:01 PM
link   
a reply to: TerryDon79

Without technical censorship*, the internet would be overrun with undesirable images, videos and illicit substances for sale.

It's called the "Darknet" or "Tor," and it would be against T&C to tell you how to access it, even though there is a link on WikiLeaks.

posted on Dec, 9 2016 @ 10:05 PM
link   

I'm confused.

I figured you to be for this.

:/

posted on Dec, 9 2016 @ 10:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

I'm confused.

I figured you to be for this.

:/

For what? Internet censorship? Don't be ridiculous. Just because I don't want Alex Jones defecating in the ATS pool doesn't mean I advocate censorship. (Please click on the link in the OP.)

posted on Dec, 9 2016 @ 10:09 PM
link   

But it's what Hillary, the MSM and Obama wants.

Nice to see you disagree with them.

posted on Dec, 9 2016 @ 10:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

But it's what Hillary, the MSM and Obama wants.

Nice to see you disagree with them.

Actually, it's Trump who wants to rein the media and the internet in.

www.csmonitor.com...

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join