It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

John Glenn, First American Astronaut to orbit Earth passed away into eternity.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 8 2016 @ 06:39 PM
link   
The peace of God to all that belong to the Light,
Dear Readers,

Before John Glenn orbiting flight there were a lot of doubts of the achievability for the National space program of this goal, many things didn't work well during the first years of America going into the space, and casualties were not absent at all.

The Soviet Union was no doubt well ahead, they sent the first satellite in orbit in October 1957 and then also the second and the third even with an alive being already in orbit, the dog Laika.

By April of 1961 it was not only America but the entire world who entered in Shock when Yuri Gagarin completed not just one but various orbits around earth in the Vostok 1, before the end of that year in August 8th German Titov also did so.

In 1961 American Astronauts were just a dream, Allan Shepard and Gus Grisson went in to a suborbital flights trying to maintain the moral high in a race that proved to be really challenging. Their parabolic flights were at least good enough to claim that they were counted among the first men that went to the outer space.

Please check:
www.youtube.com...

It was only until February 20th of 1962 that finally an American was able to complete an orbital flight, it was the marine John Glenn. No body was sure if it was going to work well but the mission was fortunately a success that marked a tremendous change in the space race.

John Glenn technically was the first American in orbit, the third man in to achieve that and the fifth into go to space after Yuri Gagarin, Alan Shepard, Gus Grison, German Titov. He was the only survival of that special elite of the first five in Space, until today.

Please check:
en.wikipedia.org...

Even before his space flight, Glenn flew in dangerous skies. He was a fighter pilot in World War II and Korea who flew low, got his plane riddled with bullets, flew with baseball great Ted Williams and earned macho nicknames during 149 combat missions. And as a test pilot he broke aviation records.

1959, Glenn Life magazine: "Space travel is at the frontier of my profession. It is going to be accomplished, and I want to be in on it. There is also an element of simple duty involved. I am convinced that I have something to give this project."

John Glenn was born July 18, 1921, in Cambridge, Ohio, and grew up in New Concord, Ohio, with the nickname "Bud.

His public life began when he broke the transcontinental airspeed record, bursting from Los Angeles to New York City in three hours, 23 minutes and 8 seconds. With his Crusader averaging 725 mph, the 1957 flight proved the jet could endure stress when pushed to maximum speeds over long distances.

In New York, he was welcomed enthusiastically as a hero, — his first tickertape parade. He was going to have a second one after his flight on Friendship 7.

Please check:

www.yahoo.com...

The thread is an open space to discuss the great importance of the flight of John Glenn and also what can be considered as his legacy, a man that also was congressman of the United States after he had already finished his Space career.

John Glen became ready today for the highest mission of all the ones he brilliantly defended in life: to reach his place in eternity, as the iconic symbol of an entire generation and an archetype of the modern American Hero.

Please check:
www.youtube.com...

Thanks for your attention,

The Angel of Lightness
edit on 12/8/2016 by The angel of light because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 8 2016 @ 07:05 PM
link   
Such a bold and brave man. An interesting footnote on his 1st actual spaceflight, the autopilot failed and he calmly took over like it was just another flight! Not much can be said about this legend that has not been said already. 95 amazing years that will be long remembered and revered by many of us. But what the actual F was he really doing in Antarctica at 95 years old and with cancer???

A glass raised to John, Godspeed Sir. May your soul be 1 with the light!

posted on Dec, 8 2016 @ 07:13 PM
link   
Marine, Astronaut, Senator.

Hero to all of us who look to the stars.

May he rest well.

posted on Dec, 9 2016 @ 12:52 PM
link   
"The last of America's first astronauts has left us, but propelled by their example we know that our future here on Earth compels us to keep reaching for the heavens. On behalf of a grateful nation, Godspeed, John Glenn."
— President Barack Obama

Brother John Glenn was a man of stupendous service, not only to the U.S., but for all of mankind. He shall forever remain a cornerstone of mankind's determination to explore the great frontiers of space. As he soared above the skies of our world for the benefit humanity, I wish him much Peace and Light as he ascends beyond the frontiers of earthly life and into that Eternal and Celestial Grand Lodge.

posted on Dec, 11 2016 @ 06:26 AM
link   
a reply to: Illumimasontruth

erm..you may be thinking about Buzz Aldrin there, who recently had to be evacuated from the South Pole.

His achievements in the public realm are impressive, but for me the thing I find most admirable is the way he protected his wife from press intrusion because of her stammer.

posted on Dec, 12 2016 @ 04:18 PM
link   
Before John Glenn faced the prospect of re-entering the Earth’s atmosphere at 17,000 miles-per-hour with a loose heat-shield, before he strapped on an Atlas rocket that had failed in 9 out of 21 previous launches, before anyone had heard of astronauts or NASA, before he set the cross-country speed record in an F-8 Crusader, John Glenn was a pilot in combat over Korea.

He was a Marine, but did an exchange tour with the US Air Force. At the time, the USAF’s newest fighter was the F-86 Sabre. He didn’t just learn how to fly the plane and maneuver it in combat; he learned everything a pilot could about it – how it handled under different loads, how high could it go, how fast, how slow without stalling…

One day, Glenn was on a mission deep behind enemy lines. His wingman was shot-down and bailed-out. Glenn followed his parachute down, and then provided air-cover to keep his partner from being captured while hoping the rescue helicopter could reach him in time. He stayed long past his ‘bingo-fuel’ indication that the book said was his minimum amount of fuel to get home. John Glenn was about to rewrite the book.

He knew how much fuel it took to climb to the maximum altitude of the F-86. He guarded his fellow pilot until he had just that much fuel left, then zoomed skyward. He reached the ceiling just as his tanks ran dry and his engine flamed-out. He then glided his swept-wing fighter almost 200 miles back to his base. He made a dead-stick landing, rolled to a stop, jumped out of his jet, climbed into the nearest flight-ready Sabre, took-off and sped back north…
…only to find that his wingman had been captured.

Later, when the armistice was signed that ended the Korean War, the prisoners of the North – beaten, tortured and half-starved – were released to cross the Panmunjom Bridge into the South. John Glenn made sure he was there at the bridge to welcome his brother-in-arms back to freedom.

Godspeed Sir.

posted on Dec, 12 2016 @ 04:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: The angel of light
The peace of God to all that belong to the Light,

I don't understand. What does that have to do with John Glenn dying?

posted on Dec, 12 2016 @ 04:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: OneBigMonkeyToo
a reply to: Illumimasontruth

erm..you may be thinking about Buzz Aldrin there, who recently had to be evacuated from the South Pole.

His achievements in the public realm are impressive, but for me the thing I find most admirable is the way he protected his wife from press intrusion because of her stammer.
I stand corrected by your awesomeness. And now I am off to Space.com to correct a comment I made there. After I drop and do 30. Thanks!

posted on Dec, 17 2016 @ 09:17 PM
link   
a reply to: Blueracer

Hi Blueracer,

This is the initial salutation I use in the opening of all my threads, along the almost a decade I am posting in ATS.

It can be seen as an invocation of good vibrations, I believe a lot in the power and need of positive thinking to improve this world.

That is the essence of my threads about figures that try to refer to profiles of positive thinkers and achievers, men that have dedicated their lives to contribute in a positive way to our civilization and humanity in general.

I am sure John Glenn was that kind of person, his heroism was to help to open the space era, knowing that it was going to bring good things to America and our world.

Thanks,

The Angel of Lightness
edit on 12/17/2016 by The angel of light because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join