It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nevada student who swung knife at classmates before being shot by police 'was bullied for days'

page: 9
<< 6  7  8   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 11 2016 @ 06:01 AM
link   
a reply to: namehere

aren't cops trained to disarm and subdue people with knives?

Unfortunately, no... they are trained to shoot center mass if the believe someone might be a threat. And to apparently keep shooting until they are no longer a threat.

posted on Dec, 11 2016 @ 06:05 AM
link   
a reply to: Miracula2

I disagree with the knives unless he was confronting armed assailants. Everyone gets tested by their peers.

He may well have been... or at least thought they would be armed. He brought the knives in response to a threat from the bullies. According to his friend, they were going to "jump him."

I wasn't able to find anything about the bullies. Nothing. But they said something that made this kid think he needed something to defend himself.

posted on Dec, 11 2016 @ 06:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: magnetik
and if he was black, he would be labeled a violent animal thug regardless of his own sad story

Not by me.

And since no one else felt the need to interject race into the issue, I'm not sure why you did. If it's any consolation, this White kid has been called plenty of names and gotten plenty of hate. Feel better?

posted on Dec, 11 2016 @ 06:13 AM
link   

Exactly, the police are responsible for public safety of the OTHER STUDENTS.

Actually, the police are responsible for EVERY student's safety.

If this kid's safety had been protected, he wouldn't be in this position now.

posted on Dec, 11 2016 @ 07:57 AM
link   
I was bullied until I started to fight back but I never resorted to weapons I just learnt to harden my knuckles and throw a few nose breaking punches.
The kid got what he deserves, he wanted to sort it out with a weapon so a weapon was used on him. The officer is a hero for saving the lives of all the other teens, the kid with the knife could easily have slashed some throats the way he was swinging the knife

posted on Dec, 11 2016 @ 08:10 AM
link   
a reply to: TigStar82

Yes, as noted -- repeatedly -- and the kid is paying for his mistake... but the subject of the OP are the many adults who knew of the problem and did nothing...

Any comment about that?

posted on Dec, 11 2016 @ 09:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: Boadicea

Yes, as noted -- repeatedly -- and the kid is paying for his mistake... but the subject of the OP are the many adults who knew of the problem and did nothing...

Any comment about that?

Isn't that just the way it goes for all bullied kids? I once reported it and the teachers said "oh boys will be boys, you 2 just need to learn to get along" it did nothing but make things worse but I didn't go running to grab a knife so like I said above he got what he deserved its not the adults fault if he wanted to try and murder someone rather then use his fists

posted on Dec, 11 2016 @ 10:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: Zerodoublehero

originally posted by: SpongeBeard

originally posted by: MysticPearl
I was a victim of serious bulling as a kid in school. Didn't resort to bringing a knife to school though. Any while my parents knew about, what are parents supposed to do? Keep their kid home from school?

Bullying while not pleasant is a reality of growing up. Learning how to deal with it and standing up for yourself(without using a knife) is also a part of growing up.

Eh? They're supposed to do what family does.
My group of bullies got the scare of their #ing life when 8 of my family members showed up at the school ready to beat the everliving # out of them. Wasn't an issue after that.

Right because im sure his dad is ready to go to jail over beating up some 15 year old punk.

If my son was being severely bullied and the school was doing nothing about it, you can be damned sure I'd be "bullying" school starting administrators though. # school administrators, staff and so called "Zero Tolerance" policies.

posted on Dec, 11 2016 @ 10:40 AM
link   

Isn't that just the way it goes for all bullied kids? I once reported it and the teachers said "oh boys will be boys, you 2 just need to learn to get along" it did nothing but make things worse but I didn't go running to grab a knife so like I said above he got what he deserved its not the adults fault if he wanted to try and murder someone rather then use his fists

A couple thoughts about that... First, no, I don't think that's "just the way it goes for all bullied kids." Back when kids were allowed to defend themselves -- even expected to defend themselves -- we didn't have "bullied" kids like we do today. It would seem to me that much of the problem is that adults have denied kids the right to defend themselves, but do nothing to protect them while letting bullies do as they will. So this is a created problem, not "just the way it goes." I would rather see kids given self-defense courses and at least given a fighting chance...

Second, how is the kid supposed to know any better if the adults don't do any better and don't teach him any better?

I don't expect 14-year-old kids to make the best or wisest decisions. I do expect better of the adults. And I sure don't expect kids to be wiser and more responsible than adults.

posted on Dec, 11 2016 @ 10:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: chuck258
If my son was being severely bullied and the school was doing nothing about it, you can be damned sure I'd be "bullying" school starting administrators though. # school administrators, staff and so called "Zero Tolerance" policies.

I'd be right there too. I'd make myself such a nuisance to the teachers and administrators that they'd get something done just to shut me up... Or, depending on how bad it was, I'd pull my kid out and homeschool.

I would very much like to know what this kid's parents knew, when they knew it, and what they did about it.

posted on Dec, 11 2016 @ 11:41 AM
link   

A couple thoughts about that... First, no, I don't think that's "just the way it goes for all bullied kids." Back when kids were allowed to defend themselves -- even expected to defend themselves -- we didn't have "bullied" kids like we do today. .

My daughter is in mainstream school but has cerebral palsy so went through the whole bullying thing from 1 group of idiots so I told her the same as my parents told me, "why are you crying about it? I taught you to fight for a reason and that reason wasn't to be a punch bag, you punch kick and bite till they are on the floor and then you punch kick and bite some more" The next time she got pushed over she done what I told her. Yeah my girl got kicked out of school for a week but she's never been bullied since in over 2 years and has never had to fight since (shes actually a proper geek lol)
Kids need to toughen up nowadays instead of running to mummy and daddy (and yes that includes my daughter)
Most brit kids round our village will sort it out down the park after school, fight it out till someone's out cold or running away but it seems like American kids go on a rampage and shoot up the school or like this one start stabbing people

posted on Dec, 11 2016 @ 01:23 PM
link   

Hmmm... I actually agree with you. We're turning our kids into wimps and snowflakes that are afraid of their own shadows. Kids need to be able to stand up for themselves, both verbally and physically, and should have the right to do so without being punished. I would take it so far as to give self-defense classes in school, and at least give every kid a fighting chance... and if my kid was suspended or disciplined for defending themselves (especially if the school knew he/she was being bullied) they'd be hearing from me...

Which is where all of us have a choice to make... do we question authority where appropriate? And do we defy authority where necessary? Where is our breaking point?

posted on Dec, 12 2016 @ 04:53 PM
link   

If this kid's safety had been protected

Oh bs. People of all ages test. It determines a lot about who they are testing. Whether they will stand up for themselves, and if so, this is probably someone you will end up liking.

He went too far with the knives.

Now, what wouldn't have been too far on Logan, the knife wielder's part or his dad's part would have been to enroll him in YMCA martial arts training. Something low cost, but confidence boosting. Simply put his opponents on the ground once and they would have left him alone and respected him.

There were other ways of establishing respect than the knife part.

posted on Dec, 12 2016 @ 05:02 PM
link   
From reading this thread for days, I've come to the conclusion that we all agree there are two issues.

Bullying...can't be tolerated, must be stopped.
Victim...must become assertive, well adjusted.

One conclusion...Martial Arts. Put every child in Martial arts class and for that matter, every adult and teenager.

I'm not a big fan of TKD, but Kempo, Krav Maga, MMA, Boxing, JiuJitsu, Wrestling, submission grappling, hard Karate styles, Muy Thai and anything that teaches you to fight.

By learning to fight, you also develop character, anger management, stress relief, goal setting, real self esteem, Friends, mentors, mental Toughness, self confidence. You put the Bullies in Martial arts class and they develop the same thing.

posted on Dec, 12 2016 @ 05:11 PM
link   

He may well have been... or at least thought they would be armed..

However, the use of weapons is permitted when confronting an armed opponent or more than one aggressor if they are unarmed if they have you cornered and you are outnumbered.

I guess the main thing here is can it be proven that Logan was being aggressed upon by threats of the use of weapons or threats by more than one person. If so, then they should legally go after the kids who made such threats.

posted on Dec, 12 2016 @ 06:58 PM
link   

I guess the main thing here is can it be proven that Logan was being aggressed upon by threats of the use of weapons or threats by more than one person. If so, then they should legally go after the kids who made such threats.

Very good point. I wasn't able to find anything about the ones who were supposedly bullying him -- just that he was being bullied. Nothing about who/what started this altercation, if they were questioned or searched for weapons, if they were arrested or disciplined... nothing. Since authorities stated no one else was injured, I'm assuming they weren't actually injured by the knives.

posted on Dec, 12 2016 @ 07:04 PM
link   

Now, what wouldn't have been too far on Logan, the knife wielder's part or his dad's part would have been to enroll him in YMCA martial arts training. Something low cost, but confidence boosting. Simply put his opponents on the ground once and they would have left him alone and respected him.

I most definitely agree. I'd even like to see those classes offered at school. No good comes from making someone defenseless (as the schools are doing); much good comes from giving people the tools and resources to take care of themselves, including protecting themselves.

There were other ways of establishing respect than the knife part.

Yes. And no one taught this kid any of that... which brings us back to self-defense classes.

posted on Dec, 12 2016 @ 07:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: amazing
From reading this thread for days, I've come to the conclusion that we all agree there are two issues.

Bullying...can't be tolerated, must be stopped.
Victim...must become assertive, well adjusted.

I would add one more, that which created the issues above: Zero tolerance policies which allow bullies to thrive and prohibits others from fighting back.

One conclusion...Martial Arts. Put every child in Martial arts class and for that matter, every adult and teenager.

I agree. Not necessarily martial arts specifically, but at least some basic self-defense principles/tactics.

posted on Dec, 15 2016 @ 08:46 PM
link   
Here is the part I find mystifying. Those who had been bullying Logan were SENIORS.

Being a senior is about demonstrating responsibility.

posted on Dec, 16 2016 @ 09:03 AM
link   

That's just so freaking pathetic. Ugh!

Maybe they'll think twice about bullying others now... never know when someone might pull out a couple knives, eh? Or a gun.

top topics

<< 6  7  8   >>

join