It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Turin Shroud 3000 years old?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 5 2005 @ 10:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by Allan Hildebrandt
I saw this article today and began to wonder. Is it really possible? I am a Christian (non-wacko variety) and want to believe. What do you think?

Comment: Yes the Shroud has been reviewed recently for its C14 tests, and it seems very odd that the 1988 tests debunking it were taken from a repair patch due to a fire at about the target date. Why it has taken so long seems to be part of some political agenda perhaps, or disinformation by design?

On another score here, no Christian variety considers itself "wacko." The problem my wacko detectors tell me, is when a Christian group considers any and all other Christian groups to be "wacko." Then there is a high probability any other Christian groups may tend to consider that group to be "wacko," and therefore either ignore that group or disparage it.

posted on Feb, 5 2005 @ 01:13 PM
link   

Why it has taken so long seems to be part of some political agenda perhaps, or disinformation by design?

The reason being is just as simple that the shroud is made accessible for public viewing and scientific tests only once in 25 years. Last time was in 2000, so that's why we've got all this groundbreaking data from the new tests.

The Shroud has now been dated as being between 1300 and 3000 years old... so looks like things are getting back right at as they were before the "debunking".

posted on Feb, 7 2005 @ 11:10 AM
link   
there were some kind of written record of what happened around that time....oh wait! There is, silly me

posted on Feb, 7 2005 @ 03:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by saint4God
there were some kind of written record of what happened around that time....oh wait! There is, silly me

Well, it was written quite a bit after the time. Anyway does the bible (I presume that's what you are referring to) mention the creation of a shroud with Jesus' imprint on it?

posted on Feb, 8 2005 @ 09:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by FatherLukeDuke
Well, it was written quite a bit after the time. Anyway does the bible (I presume that's what you are referring to) mention the creation of a shroud with Jesus' imprint on it?

Nope. Not that I've seen anyhow. In no part does Jesus say, "And take my blanket, for it will comfort you in time of need." In fact, sounds a bit like idolization to do so, which is clearly not the message he was trying to convey. His message included having faith/comfort in the living God.

P.S. I'd try to answer the question with 'No', but the board doesn't accept 1 word responses

[edit on 8-2-2005 by saint4God]

posted on Feb, 8 2005 @ 06:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Echtelion
The Shroud has now been dated as being between 1300 and 3000 years old... so looks like things are getting back right at as they were before the "debunking".

The problem is that C14 should be far more precise in this span of time.
I mean, it may mistake some thousand years while dating at least 30000 yrs. old objects.
But if I'm not wrong, in a span of time between 1300 and 3000 years, it should catch more or less the correct date, with little mistake.

posted on Feb, 8 2005 @ 06:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by saint4God

Originally posted by Sparhawk
Instead, I'd be really interested in learning what he did and where he go in that gap.
At least, it could help me a lot in my evolution, because even if I'm no Christian, I think Jesus was a great man, with great mind and spirituality. He probably went somewhere and learnt many things that allowed him to advance and evolve, and so, knowing his "material" path, could help me a lot.

Some things that may help then. Jesus was born in Bethlehem in Judea (historically the land of Judah, one of the twelve tribes of Israel). He ends up just north of here for crucifixion and resurrection so in his lifetime he travels a big loop. Anyhow, after Jesus is born, (plays Beverly Hillbillies theme song here) o/~ they packed up their bags and move to Galilee. Nazareth that is, carpenters, humble folk o/~. Nazereth was about a 50 mile trip northward (quite a trip back in the day). Growing up he learns from his pop all the skills of carpentry and had a little bro and a little sis. He goes to the temple...then starts spending a LOT of time at the temple with his ears open, spending far more time there than your typical Sabbath Day services. Jesus reaches an age where he is 'activated' by God to go out on tour from Tyre (in Phoenicia to the north) to Bethany beyond Jordan in the south by foot on a trip that looks to be more than 200 miles .

Thanks for the infos.

posted on Feb, 8 2005 @ 07:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by tomcat ha
i heared that leonardo da vinci painted it.

The process that created the image could be a natural one, caused by the person's perspiration if the person's body was in extreme distress. The elements in the sweat would fix to the cloth in higher concentrations where the cloth was closest the skin, and leave an impression. This phenomenon has been seen on hospital sheets of terminal patients.
As for the nail holes, they are in the right spots for a crucifixion, above the wrists, and mid-foot.
The person is European looking, and though possibly Middle Eastern, more likely not.
The best theory I have read is that it is a cloth that was laid over the body of Jacques De Molay, after he had been extensively tortured. His tormentors took great pains to recreate the suffering of Jesus (allegedly), and this is why the image is so detailed in its record of the various injuries said to have been endured by Jesus.
My only doubts regarding this theory are related to the point that the shroud appears to be referred to, and depicted, numerous times historically, before the 14th century, which was De Molay's era.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join