It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Canadian Prime Minister Chickens out

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 27 2005 @ 04:34 AM
link   
Honorable (yeah right) Canadian Prime Minister Paul Martin threatened to call an election while on his Asian tour over gay marriage issues. After consideration from his cabinet & advisors he quickly re-tracted his statement saying he would force a vote in Paliament which could de-stabilize the Liberal controlled minority government. Mr. Martin then went on the attack against his biggest threat Steven Harper of the conservatives saying Mr. Harper would envoke the "not withstanding clause " against the Canadian Charter of right's & freedoms leading to minority persecution. ( CTV News net. )
First Mr. Martin chickens out over an election because the Liberals would easily be defeated over the gay marriage issue if Canada actually had a democratic vote.
Second he uses media induced scare tactics against his opposition trying to re-late conservatives with anti-minority groups.
The majority of Canadians are against gay marriage (liberal cabinet members as well) even though some provincial courts allowed it like the spineless provincial NDP government of Lorne Calvert in Saskatchewan.
Canadians are very tolerant and totally accept / but not agree with homosexuality. Most Canadians even think that gay's can have a civil union with all the equality & benefits of marriage with the only clause that it not be called "marriage" keeping the definition traditional between a man & a woman.
This my friends is not descrimination against gays, it about protecting an institution older than human civilization itself. The liberal left wing is extremely arrogant in thinking they have the right to change the definition of marriage thats thousands of years old, crossing all races & religions.
Protect the family. Defeat the liberals.

posted on Jan, 27 2005 @ 05:52 AM
link   
Are you sating that we as Nova Scotians are spineless because we allow gay marriages? I believe and this is my opinion that each and every person has 1 life to live, and in that lifetime, these people should be allowed to be left alone so that can live a happy life like everyone else does. I am a firm believer in God, but I don't think that God will throw them in hell because they are gay, they are born like that and didn't choose to be that way.
Why do you judge gay people? They don't judge straight people, and I know many gay people who have children and are far better parents than most married couples are.
The stigma put on them is not right, it makes them feel like a lesser human being, but we are all the same, we all have feelings, compassion, and need love whether people are gay or straight, our needs are the same, the only difference is they are attracted to the same sex. I don't have a problem with it. In fact, I hope all of Canada makes it legal for them to marry. In my opinion I think Nova Scotia had GUTS to give them their rights and let them marry.

[edit on 27-1-2005 by realorritt]

new topics

join