It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Neanderthals built mysterious cave structures 175,000 years ago .

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 13 2016 @ 10:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: Tempter
Of all of the mysteries of this universe the one that I think would benefit us most is to learn the true origins of our species.

I just have a hard time believing the Out Of Africa theory. It just doesn't make sense.

Because??

posted on Dec, 16 2016 @ 10:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: Byrd

originally posted by: 3daysgone
a reply to: Byrd

Do you believe in the 100th monkey theory? or is it just hogwash?

I believe that it might generally apply to some types of monkeys and even some types of animals living in social groups. I do not believe it applies to humans except in a very broad and very weak manner.

But wouldn't it make sense if it was applied to humans as well? I mean we are part of the same evolutionary model.

posted on Dec, 17 2016 @ 06:03 AM
link   

a reply to: Byrd

Do you believe in the 100th monkey theory? or is it just hogwash?

I believe that it might generally apply to some types of monkeys and even some types of animals living in social groups. I do not believe it applies to humans except in a very broad and very weak manner.

But wouldn't it make sense if it was applied to humans as well? I mean we are part of the same evolutionary model.

Not necessarily. Things that make sense to a herd of horses or flock of birds -- both of which have cultures in that they have behaviors determined by the group as a whole towards certain things and towards each other -- do not necessarily make sense or apply to humans.

(in addition there are valid criticisms of the 100th monkey idea that show it as a poor model)

(also, monkeys are far more distant relatives than chimps or gorillas - 25 million years distant rather than 4-8 million years.)
edit on 17-12-2016 by Byrd because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 17 2016 @ 03:55 PM
link   

Not necessarily. Things that make sense to a herd of horses or flock of birds -- both of which have cultures in that they have behaviors determined by the group as a whole towards certain things and towards each other -- do not necessarily make sense or apply to humans.

On a side-note, I was watching the BBC's Planet Earth II and this, really struck me...

...and I was wondering how much our sexual behaviour was changed by the adoption of animal husbandry on a herding scale. Although not true everywhere, the development of the harem, of one male servicing numerous females, does seem to correspond with animal herders, and even though we had long ceased to be subject to the drives of oestrus, the contests associated with the 'rut' have similar parallels with 'contests' in human societies, particularly those that have their origins in herding, such as the Celts, the Golden Horde, as examples. There does not seem to be anything like that in Neanderthal finds, that I am aware of. Do we have any indication of how leadership was established, or indeed, in hominid groups, what conditions necessitate leadership?

Thanks.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join