It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Google "Moon" - Strange Looking Crater

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 8 2016 @ 12:00 PM
link   
While puttering around on Google Earth, viewing the Moon, I found this odd/strange crater near Humboldt Crater...
Humboldt Crater Location: 27.00°S 80.90°E

I did a screen capture and slightly modified the contrast & brightness to help with the details. Has anyone else seen this particular crater, and if so, is there some explanation as to why it looks like a normal crater with a doughnut-like shape in the bottom of it? I have looked, but cannot locate any other craters that has the same appearance that this one has.

This looks quite anomalous to me, and I can't imagine a natural process that could cause a crater to be formed into this shape. If someone that understands how craters are formed on the moon, and could shed some light on this particular crater, it would be appreciated.

Also, in the same pic, to the left of the crater, there is another anomaly that I find odd. There are three bright craters that form (or almost form) an equilateral triangle. The craters are all nearly the same brightness, nearly same size, and nearly the same distance apart from each other. To me, this is just as odd as the "doughnut" crater. I have also looked for other triangles with these qualities, but have not found any like this.

I would like to hear the opinions of the forum on this find please. Thanks in advance for any replies.

posted on Dec, 8 2016 @ 12:09 PM
link   
astronomers call it a double nested crater
google it

posted on Dec, 8 2016 @ 12:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: humanoidlord
google it

but mentalists call it "strange' or 'weird' or 'crashed alien ship' or 'underground moon base'

posted on Dec, 8 2016 @ 12:39 PM
link   

google it

Thanks for the reply.

Ok. I did Google it. And none of the craters on Google look like the one I have posted. I don't expect to find one that looks exactly the same, but none look really similar to that one. The characteristics of the one above are odd compared to the "double nested" ones found on Google. Not only that, but it would seem that a second impact would have to have hit nearly dead center of the original crater, and not an oblique impact, but a straight on impact to make the anomalously uniform sides of ejected material of the second impact crater. I'm not saying that it is impossible, I'm saying that it is highly improbable. You would probably get better odds of winning the lottery, than for this to occur. Plus, I haven't found a second instance of this anywhere yet.

posted on Dec, 8 2016 @ 03:06 PM
link   
a reply to: repairguyt

still looks like a double nested crater to me

posted on Dec, 8 2016 @ 03:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: repairguyt

google it

Thanks for the reply.

Ok. I did Google it. And none of the craters on Google look like the one I have posted. I don't expect to find one that looks exactly the same, but none look really similar to that one. The characteristics of the one above are odd compared to the "double nested" ones found on Google. Not only that, but it would seem that a second impact would have to have hit nearly dead center of the original crater, and not an oblique impact, but a straight on impact to make the anomalously uniform sides of ejected material of the second impact crater. I'm not saying that it is impossible, I'm saying that it is highly improbable. You would probably get better odds of winning the lottery, than for this to occur. Plus, I haven't found a second instance of this anywhere yet.

A link to your file for better viewing,
files.abovetopsecret.com...

As for your crater, you really need to consult someone at NASA or similar about that particular one, they are not well understood, you could get that effect because of the underlying of differing types of rock from just one collision, it's probably more likely than say a big collision followed by a smaller one smack in the middle of the bigger one.

edit on 8-12-2016 by smurfy because: Text.

posted on Dec, 8 2016 @ 05:29 PM
link   
a reply to: smurfy

Thanks for the reply.

I suppose it is possible that an asteroid with a rocky outer crust and a more solid iron core (or similar makeup with different materials) could cause a similar looking crater. I would expect to see more like it though, unless it was a totally unique asteroid type. I just find it strange that this particular crater is so unique. I still have been unable to find anything like it anywhere else.
edit on 8-12-2016 by repairguyt because: spelling

posted on Dec, 8 2016 @ 05:54 PM
link   

Dear Santa i want one of those
please

top topics

join