It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trump Picks Climate Change Dissenter to Lead EPA

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 9 2016 @ 12:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: Aazadan
a reply to: pteridine

There are answers to your questions. Nuclear, Geothermal, Solar, Wind, Hydro, are 5 substitutes for fossil fuels.

As for how we get other countries to go along with it, it's by setting deals that we both adhere to. China would love to use these more advanced power generation systems, but they find it unfair that they have to transition to them right away when the west was able to develop with cheaper sources. That's why deals mostly involve China scaling back on coal power plants while the west uses something else.

The US is actually in an excellent place to replace coal, our geothermal reserves are immense, and we have the coastline for nuclear. Geothermal and nuclear pair together very well too, because geothermal is cheap (cheaper than coal) which offsets the cost for nuclear. Every time we talk about nuclear though, the problems with the first and second generation plants are brought up (we would be building fourth generation plants), and then it further gets tabled because of the potential of thorium reactors.

You have listed some alternatives, which is a good start. How long will it take to transition to any or all of them and how would you handle stranded assets? You do realize that what ever you select the NIMBY folks will come out of the woodwork and all those options will be attacked by the envirofolk. Nuclear has issues with waste so the best bet there is to over-ride any gripes by states and store it where we had planned to store it. Decide on a plant design and force all plants to be designed that way; no custom jobs, no options. Build Fords not custom cars. Use 250MWe modules and start the production line. Westinghouse pumps should be a requirement; GE's are not so good. Solar can be thermal or photovoltaic and has a large footprint. Solar collectors affect weather above and wildlife below. Airplanes should be routed around and people should accept the inevitable loss of an insignificant species or two. Do you suggest solar roofs for houses or central solar plants? Wind has an even bigger footprint and large farms affect the microclimate and reliability is always an issue. Hydro is ok if you have enough rainfall but the downside is that fish can't easily fornicate. We are actually getting away from smaller hydro...go figure. Geothermal has serious materials problems and isn't really viable in its present state of development. Wave power and tide power have the coastal tourist areas whining as do offshore wind farms. One possibility is the use of turbines in the Florida Straits and other similar locations but care must be taken not to get greedy and affect the ocean currents. This is why storage of CO2 as deep ocean hydrates is too dangerous.

Everything has unintended consequences so we will have to be very careful. On a global scale, the agreement will be the most difficult thing to do and police. GNP is related to the cost of energy and GNP drives decisions.

posted on Dec, 9 2016 @ 01:40 PM
link   
Thorium.

posted on Dec, 9 2016 @ 03:11 PM
link   

I can tell you the first step, if you take environment protection seriously, is NOT to pick a Climate Change denier to lead the EPA. So right off the bat, in his first baby step, Trump sh#ts the bed as usual.
edit on 9-12-2016 by spiritualzombie because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 9 2016 @ 03:20 PM
link   
a reply to: spiritualzombie

Well, yeah.

Doesn't everybody get it by now?

The entire "climate change" thing is all about limiting activity and controlling resources including humans. How would you like it if somebody came along and told you that your work and income would be limited. No matter how much you wanted to work and earn, they just told you that you could not. You would ask why, and they would respond "because of the zeeble zobble."

So from now on, forever and ever, you can only earn minimum wage due to the zeeble zobble.

That is nonsense.

Combating Mother Nature and her cycles is absolutely ridiculous. Mankind has known about the cycle from summer to winter and back to summer again for a long, long time. Mankind has been preparing for the yearly cycle by gathering food and firewood for a long, long time. Nobody ever tried to stop the cycle. Nobody ever tried to prevent winter from coming. It is known to be a fact and everybody deals with it. The climate change laws (haha! "laws") are complete nonsense and part of the International Communist strategy to enslave the rest of us.

posted on Dec, 9 2016 @ 03:30 PM
link   
a reply to: Generation9

Get educated.

posted on Dec, 9 2016 @ 03:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: spiritualzombie

I can tell you the first step, if you take environment protection seriously, is NOT to pick a Climate Change denier to lead the EPA. So right off the bat, in his first baby step, Trump sh#ts the bed as usual.

You are assuming that you know what this guy will do. Who would you have Trump select, someone who thinks burning hydrogen will save the planet?

posted on Dec, 9 2016 @ 03:54 PM
link   

Amazing pick.. puahahah The Carbon Exchanges will soon imploid 4 3 2 1..

posted on Dec, 9 2016 @ 04:46 PM
link   
a reply to: Generation9

Do you not get that destroying land for energy sources is not a sustainable nor responsible way of doing business?

Take a tour on google earth! Look at the fracking sites and their pools of toxic water, look at the mountains that had their peaks blasted off for coal mining, look at the tar sands in Canada, ect...

Educate yourself. Have some morals and realize destroying this planet for short term profits is an awful way of doing business!
edit on 9-12-2016 by jrod because: T

posted on Dec, 9 2016 @ 04:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: Generation9

Well, yeah.

Doesn't everybody get it by now?

The entire "climate change" thing is all about limiting activity and controlling resources including humans. How would you like it if somebody came along and told you that your work and income would be limited. No matter how much you wanted to work and earn, they just told you that you could not. You would ask why, and they would respond "because of the zeeble zobble."

So from now on, forever and ever, you can only earn minimum wage due to the zeeble zobble.

That is nonsense.

Combating Mother Nature and her cycles is absolutely ridiculous. Mankind has known about the cycle from summer to winter and back to summer again for a long, long time. Mankind has been preparing for the yearly cycle by gathering food and firewood for a long, long time. Nobody ever tried to stop the cycle. Nobody ever tried to prevent winter from coming. It is known to be a fact and everybody deals with it. The climate change laws (haha! "laws") are complete nonsense and part of the International Communist strategy to enslave the rest of us.

So, You're saying that decades and decades of work by well educated climate scientists is just wrong, because...you're smarter than they are? Maybe you are, but I'll need to see some of your credentials.

Keep in mind, that scientists studying climate change, know we have season, solar cycles etc. They also know that man has an affect/effect on the Climate and in this case, is causing a warming cycle, seperate from whatever natural cycle we are in.

posted on Dec, 9 2016 @ 08:55 PM
link   
This might be oversimplifying but based on policies toward hurting people and hurting the Earth, and all the people that effects, as well as the ignorance and extreme anger and aggression-- I think what we're dealing with here is a good ol' fashion battle between good and evil. And no amount of reason or logic will change evil. Evil is here to destroy and cause pain. Be it torture, deportation, murder, or environmental destruction.

I think if the devil himself showed up, liberals would spend what little time they had trying to reason with him and telling themselves there's some way to convince him of the right thing to do. But there's not. There appears to be no interest in doing the right thing... The good thing.

posted on Dec, 9 2016 @ 09:00 PM
link   

I would consider murderous actions to homosexuals and women evil. Hillary supported and accepted monies from those that believe in that.

I would consider the mentality that one is above the law evil. Hillary proved that.

If it is good and evil as you claim, you may wish to question which one is evil.

IMO it's meh vs eek!

posted on Dec, 9 2016 @ 09:13 PM
link   
a reply to: JinMI

Ha, I don't think its that complicated. Either you want people to be tortured and murdered, deported and the earth to be raped--- or none of that.

They say the devil is the father of lies-- and the right wing so love their fake news and the lies they try to use to drown out the truth.

Others have empathy, compassion, and are ready to take responsibility for the environment and the damage we cause. People who are ready to pursue green sustainable energy.

I think we're in a kind of biblical-style spiritual battle. A battle between love, compassion, responsibility, and togetherness.... vs hate, agression, denial, and division.

Good vs evil. And I think the good may need to accept that no amount of reason or truth can pursuade evil.

posted on Dec, 9 2016 @ 09:20 PM
link   

Do you want to know what you are so very wrong?

I'll tell you, but shhh. It's a secret.

Ready?

Your whole premise is wrong based on the fact that you think politicians are good at all. Your justifying your political position based upon spirituality? That is just loony.

posted on Dec, 9 2016 @ 09:23 PM
link   

Ready to step up to the next level? I'm not talking about politics.

I'm talking about togetherness, compassion, love, responsibility and sustainability.

posted on Dec, 9 2016 @ 09:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: spiritualzombie

Ready to step up to the next level? I'm not talking about politics.

I'm talking about togetherness, compassion, love, responsibility and sustainability.

They are not ready, their is too much money to be made, they don't give a F about the environment. Take all they can, and make as much money as they can, that is all they are concerned about.

posted on Dec, 9 2016 @ 09:36 PM
link   

I'm already here.

posted on Dec, 9 2016 @ 10:15 PM
link   

Sure you are, kid.

posted on Dec, 9 2016 @ 10:21 PM
link   
If Trump were a farmer I guess he would have wolves guard the chicken coup

posted on Dec, 9 2016 @ 10:22 PM
link   

Awwww your condescension is so cute.

Is that how you do love and togetherness?

So progressive.

posted on Dec, 9 2016 @ 10:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: JinMI

I would consider murderous actions to homosexuals and women evil. Hillary supported and accepted monies from those that believe in that.

I would consider the mentality that one is above the law evil. Hillary proved that.

If it is good and evil as you claim, you may wish to question which one is evil.

IMO it's meh vs eek!

So would most on the Trump side, you can add blacks and hispanics as well.

new topics

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join