It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama White House Press Secretary: “Embittered” Pearl Harbor Survivors Need to Get Over It

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 7 2016 @ 05:14 PM
link   
Is this real? I've known countless vets from that era and they will act with the proper respect and decorum toward their former foe. My Grandfather fought in the Pacific and served in Japan during the reconstruction/occupation. He loved the Japaneze people and culture.

When I introduced google earth, the first place he wanted to see was the island he was stationed on after the war.

edit on 7-12-2016 by ezramullins because: e

Shame on you, X. That's not what the man said. There is no need to be disingenuous, there is plenty
of foul #e to harp on.

My Grandmom is still alive and well. If somebody at the Womans Club reads your post
they might go off half cocked and nobody wants to see that.
edit on 7-12-2016 by ezramullins because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 7 2016 @ 05:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen
So with the 75th anniversary of the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor the White House announces that Pearl Harbor survivors need to just get over it !!

How about you show the actual White House announcement where they said "that Pearl Harbor survivors need to just get over it"

Because we know you cannot, it is just another false story from you!

posted on Dec, 7 2016 @ 05:16 PM
link   
a reply to: mOjOm

Thanks for the clarification. At first I was appalled that the admin said "get over it" but what a lie.
I hate Barry as much as anyone but this wasn't needed.
Can't we try to ride out this horrible president til Trump gets settled and starts to heal the nation?
There's been so much pain for 8 years it's just a little more. And quit stirring up #### because of some MSM fake news. The reality has been bad enough.

posted on Dec, 7 2016 @ 05:19 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

I can't wait for January 20th.

I am so tired of these Obama clowns.

posted on Dec, 7 2016 @ 05:20 PM
link   

Well, wasn't that just about par for the course? Why would anyone expect something even remotely close to a respectful comment from a man who refuses to acknowledge, or even display the guts to call a murdering group of devient 4th century zealots exactly what they are...terrorists, islamic TERRORISTS. Oh gee, lemme think here. I know what it was! His favorite DVD of the sweetest sounds he's EVER heard, or can even imagine...the "Call to Worship" by the ever popular "Ragin' Bomb Boys", had just gotten broken....

posted on Dec, 7 2016 @ 05:23 PM
link   

Hmmmmm, that quote seemed awfully suspicious because of the stupidity of that remark so I went to our friendly debunk site and found out it is indeed a hoax.

www.snopes.com...

CLAIM: White House Press Secretary Josh Earnest said World War II veterans who felt "embittered" by diplomatic relations with Japan on the anniversary of Pearl Harbor in 2016 should "get over it."

MOSTLY FALSE
WHAT'S TRUE: White House Press Secretary Josh Earnest said that it was natural for some World War II veterans to feel "embittered" about the Prime Minister of Japan's planned visit to Pearl Harbor, but that he believed a trait of the "Greatest Generation" included the ability to place patriotism over personal feelings.

WHAT'S FALSE: Earnest neither said nor insinuated WWII veterans should "get over it" regarding the attack on Pearl Harbor.

Do you never bother to fact check your sources and believe anything they feed you or are you purposely spreading lies because of your politics?
edit on 7-12-2016 by Swills because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 7 2016 @ 05:30 PM
link   
a reply to: Butterfinger

Shouldn't they? The war is long over. Japan is an ally. Attrocities committed by all sides. The only way forward is to forgive and move on. How long should a legacy of hate survive?

posted on Dec, 7 2016 @ 05:31 PM
link   
a reply to: Justso

Ya things have gotten pretty bad with folks slandering others with false reporting. As if there aren't enough legitimate problems and actions to be worried about. But some folks seem to think it's not enough so they make up some false ones on top of all the rest. I just don't get it.

posted on Dec, 7 2016 @ 05:33 PM
link   
a reply to: mOjOm

He`s not wrong, JFK said basically the same thing when he said " ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country."

posted on Dec, 7 2016 @ 05:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus

I can't wait for January 20th.

I am so tired of these Obama clowns.

clowns...so how about Germany?...no problem with that country or the current leader who has been here many times ......how many US servicemen did they kill?.....I so tired of the right-wing clowns on this site, too....and don't worry you got the big cheeto coming into office soon...I already can't stand to hear him or even watch him on TV. he's an insult to every decent, empathetic, and moral American out there. he's a vile and crude person who only cares about how great everyone thinks he is.....the japan leader coming to Hawaii, big F'in deal

posted on Dec, 7 2016 @ 05:51 PM
link   

Oh look, you're back from "# that never happened land." So glad to see you, Xue!

It's soooo weird how your "source" doesn't quote him as saying it, but simply quotes somebody else saying that's what he said.

But I think the thing that we know about the Greatest Generation of Americans is they’re anything -- well, let me say it this way. This Greatest Generation of Americans, I think we take a risk if we underestimate their patriotism and their capacity to set aside their own personal interests and prioritize the ambition and opportunity of the American people.

That's the comment that's the "source" of all the claims that he said to "get over it." Can you tell me where he said that? Because I as a veteran, and a combat veteran to boot, don't see anything in there that smells to me like "get over it."

posted on Dec, 7 2016 @ 05:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: Swills

Hmmmmm, that quote seemed awfully suspicious because of the stupidity of that remark so I went to our friendly debunk site and found out it is indeed a hoax.

www.snopes.com...

CLAIM: White House Press Secretary Josh Earnest said World War II veterans who felt "embittered" by diplomatic relations with Japan on the anniversary of Pearl Harbor in 2016 should "get over it."

MOSTLY FALSE
WHAT'S TRUE: White House Press Secretary Josh Earnest said that it was natural for some World War II veterans to feel "embittered" about the Prime Minister of Japan's planned visit to Pearl Harbor, but that he believed a trait of the "Greatest Generation" included the ability to place patriotism over personal feelings.

WHAT'S FALSE: Earnest neither said nor insinuated WWII veterans should "get over it" regarding the attack on Pearl Harbor.

Do you never bother to fact check your sources and believe anything they feed you or are you purposely spreading lies because of your politics?

If it's from a right-wing "source" then obviously it's true, for certain members. I'm a little surprised you had to ask

posted on Dec, 7 2016 @ 06:03 PM
link   
why cant ATS crack down on this spam-twat.

this is ridiculous.

posted on Dec, 7 2016 @ 06:17 PM
link   

posted on Dec, 7 2016 @ 06:29 PM
link   

Do we still blaim all germans for the holocaust? Its been 75 years. It was awful but modern japan is not the same country. Get over it. Its okay to be upset. Its okay to be traumatised. Its no longer okay to blaim japan.

# sakes the prime minister of japan wasnt even born qhen the attacks happened. Pull your ignorant head out of your ass.

posted on Dec, 7 2016 @ 06:30 PM
link   
a reply to: Vasa Croe

You realize you killed infinitely more japanese than they ever kiled americans

posted on Dec, 7 2016 @ 06:31 PM
link   
a reply to: Swills

Fantastic!

Does that mean the left can now 'place patriotism over personal feelings' now that they lost a simple election?

edit on 7-12-2016 by loam because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 7 2016 @ 06:44 PM
link   

That's a good example of Fox news pushing the same BS message as others on the Right instead of actually reporting what was said in full.

Guess that means we can cross off Fox News as being honest as well.

posted on Dec, 7 2016 @ 06:46 PM
link   
a reply to: Aeshma

Then we can stop blaming whites for slavery.

posted on Dec, 7 2016 @ 06:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: mOjOm

Nice spin, however here is what was actually said:

MR. EARNEST: Listen, I can’t speak for every single American and how they will respond to or react to this particular situation. If I were a World War II veteran who was drafted by the United States military to go and fight for our country overseas in the aftermath of the Pearl Harbor attack, I might feel quite embittered. And I think it would be a perfectly natural and understandable human reaction to not be particularly satisfied with the words of the Japanese Prime Minister.

But I think the thing that we know about the Greatest Generation of Americans is they’re anything -- well, let me say it this way. This Greatest Generation of Americans, I think we take a risk if we underestimate their patriotism and their capacity to set aside their own personal interests and prioritize the ambition and opportunity of the American people.

And so, yes, there may be some who feel personally embittered. But I’m confident that many will set aside their own personal bitterness, not because they’re personally satisfied by the words of the Prime Minister, but because they recognize how important this moment is for the United States. And that’s certainly why they qualify to be described as the greatest generation.

Transcript

Hardly the same as saying "Get over it".

With you all the way, it's a cheap shot from some ignoramus or the other.
Perhaps this video might put some perspective on the deliberate architecture of war, especially WW2.
Any wise vet from any country involved, will understand what went on. Any wise leader today will understand the guilty past of leadership...indeed it's a different world today, as bad as it may seem.

IMHO, it's no bad thing that Obama, for his part, is trying to address the past as it really was.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join