It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cheerleading is an Olympic Sport ... Seriously !!!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 7 2016 @ 03:45 PM
link   
Cheerleading , Olympic Sport.
Sorry , can't get my head around it , in my time line sport was something done by sports men and women not the entertainment.

The International Olympic Committee’s executive board voted on Tuesday to recognize cheerleading and the combat sport Muay Thai, meaning that the governing body for each sport will receive at least $25,000 annually from the committee and have the opportunity to apply for additional grants.

The provisional recognition of the two sports, which will last for up to three years, lays the groundwork for each sport to apply for inclusion in the Olympics. At any point during those three years, committee executives can vote to fully recognize the sports, after which each could petition to be included in the Games.
www.nytimes.com...

Looking forward to the inclusion of Dad Dancing in 2022.

edit on 7-12-2016 by gortex because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 7 2016 @ 03:51 PM
link   
Cheerleading is a very real and strenuous activity. It requires strength, flexibility, dedication, and most of all stamina. I'd like to hear why it is so laughable to you ?

posted on Dec, 7 2016 @ 03:51 PM
link   
a reply to: gortex

Think of it as Synchronised Gymnastics ..... gymnastics are in yes?

2nd

posted on Dec, 7 2016 @ 03:56 PM
link   
a reply to: headorheart

Because it isn't a sport it's an activity.

posted on Dec, 7 2016 @ 03:57 PM
link   
Running with a cone on your head whilst rip roaringly drunk, man I miss my youth.

Cheerleading isn't a sport and should be nowhere near the Olympics, then you realise synchronised swimming isn't a sport, yet is an Olympic event.

Madness, utter utter madness.

posted on Dec, 7 2016 @ 04:05 PM
link   
You could eliminate half of the sports in the Olympics and nobody would notice.

Maybe they will put yoga in too.

posted on Dec, 7 2016 @ 04:08 PM
link   
Perhaps they'll install clap-o-meters too.

I would personally like to volunteer for the Olympic Macarena team. I start a mean conga line, also.

posted on Dec, 7 2016 @ 04:11 PM
link   
It may seem strange to us non-Americans, but competitive cheerleading is already a regular American activity. It seems to be about girls standing on each other's shoulders and trying not to fall off.

Perhaps we could counter by suggesting the introduction of competitive clog-dancing, as described in the old Private Eye strip.

posted on Dec, 7 2016 @ 04:15 PM
link   
ESPN and the American Medical Association see it as a sport. I'm not talking about running around with a cone on your head, I'm talking about competitive cheerleading.

posted on Dec, 7 2016 @ 04:23 PM
link   
a reply to: headorheart
Sorry, it's just that we don't understand cheerleaders because our fans do their cheering unled.
This is cheering;

Who are yer!

edit on 7-12-2016 by DISRAELI because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 7 2016 @ 04:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: headorheart
ESPN and the American Medical Association see it as a sport. I'm not talking about running around with a cone on your head, I'm talking about competitive cheerleading.

ESPN has poker too, so..

posted on Dec, 7 2016 @ 04:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: Cobaltic1978
Running with a cone on your head whilst rip roaringly drunk, man I miss my youth.

Oh lord this made me laugh out loud!

I watched competitive walking this past summer on the Olympics, most ridiculous thing I've ever seen in my life. It was 100 men all speed walking like they were experiencing a moment of human urgency, and the nearest bathroom was 10 miles away. I half expected them to end the race with a full load in their pants! LOL!

edit on 7-12-2016 by Subsonic because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 7 2016 @ 05:13 PM
link   

If Soccer can be an Olympic sport why not Cheerleading? They both are boring and no one scores.

ETA: Also, curling etc...they have lots of crappy 'sports' in the Olympics.
edit on 2016/12/7 by Metallicus because: eta

posted on Dec, 7 2016 @ 05:18 PM
link   
It is most definitely a sport. I take it most of the people here knocking it for "hurr durr clappy happy time" haven't paid much attention to the cheerleaders for more than short skirts and pretty faces to look at during halftime. It takes more coordination, balance and planning than synchronized swimming which by the way is an Olympic sport.

When you can do this without falling on your ass and breaking something, then you can talk.

posted on Dec, 7 2016 @ 05:29 PM
link   
Cheer-leading on the High school level, is more dangerous than all other competitive sports, it results in more injuries than High school Foot ball year after year.

Cheerleading ranks first in injury

Its at least up there with gymnastics for "skill" and is the equal of other Olympic level competition sports for skill required.

posted on Dec, 7 2016 @ 05:30 PM
link   
I'm looking forward to them adding pole dancing.

It's going to happen

posted on Dec, 7 2016 @ 05:31 PM
link   
a reply to: DISRAELI

Can't have cheerleaders there. When the fans knock over the walls and brawl, the cheerleaders would be injured.

posted on Dec, 7 2016 @ 05:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus

If Soccer can be an Olympic sport why not Cheerleading? They both are boring and no one scores.

ETA: Also, curling etc...they have lots of crappy 'sports' in the Olympics.

I think cheerleaders are a bit tougher than soccer players though.

posted on Dec, 7 2016 @ 06:00 PM
link   
How is it any less of a sport than synchronized swimming? They're almost the same thing in concept. And don't they still do things in track & field like the shot put? LOL Seeing who can throw a glorified rock the farthest is an Olympic sport, but organized team gymnastics with vocals is crossing the line to you?

posted on Dec, 7 2016 @ 07:06 PM
link   

Believe it or not, there are more catastrophic injuries in cheerleading than any other sport other than football.

Cheerleading Ranks First in Catastrophic Sport Injuries

Cheerleading involves a lot of gymnastics so in reality it should be considered a sport.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join