It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Discussing Pitbull DNA: Are they REALLY Doomed to be Aggressive Beasts?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 7 2016 @ 01:53 PM
link   
I never met an aggressive pitbull. They were all super nice and had a great demeanour. Been bit in the face twice by a sharpei. I believe that they were bred for aggression.

posted on Dec, 7 2016 @ 01:54 PM
link   
a reply to: JimNasium

Thanks officer, for the war story. I was on the receiving end of Knock and Notice once... just once. The door was unlocked but in their adrenalin driven fervor, they broke it anyway. There was a warrant, sworn out for no good reason on the wrong house. I enjoyed hearing them yell out police first, that way I could extrapolate what the boom was when it came.

As We tried to be quiet going up the front porch area and got into position, I did the Ca. required "Knock & Notice" This is the law that states that prior to banging down the door, the Officer(s) MUST announce their presence and the reason for being there e.g. "Oakland P.D. Search Warrant Demand Entry" then You give the suspected Crook(s) ample time to either flee the residence or to flush the dope.

They could have rang the door bell and saved everyone a lot of trouble. As was they always assume the highest threat personal danger before running a perfectly good evening. I was forced to sit naked in a chair for an hour in front of them and the girls in the house before someone finally handed me a blanket.

I'll never forget that.

I suppose I'm just thankful I don't live in LA were the knock and notice is a ram on the end of a tank, supplemented by flash-bang grenades. One day they'll use drones and just bomb the house to be completely safe.

posted on Dec, 7 2016 @ 02:39 PM
link   
Pits are great,loyal dogs if raised right.Just like people.They will defend their home and people,but so will my setter or any dog.My stepsons pit is a big baby,as long as she knows you.Thugs have given the breed a bad rep. Media likes to make it seem like they are monsters,but can`t believe the media about anything anymore.

posted on Dec, 7 2016 @ 02:46 PM
link   
If a dog goes bad, the fault lies with the owner.

1) They are animals, treat them as such first. Dogs aren't people, and treating them like one leads to problems.

2) You are the pack leader. The dog must believe that you are the alpha and submit accordingly. This doesn't mean beat the dog or hit it. Find a non-violent method that works for you and the dog.

3) If you can't be the alpha, you don't need to own a dog.

I own a 60lb, all muscle, Carolina Dog/GSD mixed bitch. She could cause massive damage if she so chose. However, since she was raised correctly ( and boy was she stubborn as a pup, constantly challenging me ), I can make her obey with a look.

She is sweet as can be unless she can tell that I don't want someone on my property. Then she'll turn "mean", but she's all bark no bite.

TL;DR: Most people who own dogs have no business doing so.

posted on Dec, 7 2016 @ 03:28 PM
link   
a reply to: PageLC14

They exhibit "unpredictable" aggression and a dangerous bite (they latch on and tear unlike most that will just bite and release) because they were bred to fight bulls. (They had to be unusually brave/aggressive and latch on so they wouldn't get trampled.)

As for their behavior being in their "dna", I think a lot of our instincts are probably defined by epigenetics? If not there, somewhere, because those dogs were bred for those characteristics, and do still exhibit those characteristics (every once in awhile).

More, I don't know if you have noticed or not, but most animals understand and follow hierarchy rule: they size one another up, and if the person is not rated too lowly, or too highly, they will see them as equals and therefor rivals to their personhood or place in the pecking order. That is, animals do not normally see large animals or smaller animals as being on equal footing and so they aren't as aggressive towards them, as they are with their equals (the thought of aggression usually doesn't even cross their mind but with equals)...

Ergo, dogs bred to be highly aggressive will carry an even higher risk of attacking rivals: kids (people nearer their own size) and strangers.

posted on Dec, 7 2016 @ 03:37 PM
link   
Dog breeds most certainly have behavioral characteristics that can only be explained by genetics and breeding. Some breeds are better hunters. Some are better guard dogs. Some are better fighters.

I had a Shetland Sheepdog for a time and she would naturally try to "herd" me when I cut grass. It was something about the lawnmower that sparked the desire to naturally herd. She'd literally run around me in circles and do all those herding moves if you've ever seen a sheepdog corral sheep. This was never taught to her, she just did it.

Dogs have a natural prey instinct and they are also hierarchical. Kids running can make dogs naturally want to chase them. Kids can also be seen as a rival.

Even though I love dogs, I am always extremely cautious when my son is around them as you just never know what might set a dog off.

Pits just have a bad rap because so many of them are just raised in bad homes. It is like firearms around here. Always a few stories of little kids killing themselves when they find a firearm in the house. In vast majority of the cases, it is usuallly some hood rat family where the "daddy" was a felon, the firearm was illegal, and everything about the situation was irresponsible.

posted on Dec, 7 2016 @ 03:52 PM
link   
a reply to: PageLC14

Most people who own pits are idiots, the kind of dog attracts them, it looks vicious and IS vicious.

A very rare few of them are trained so epically that they become entirely peaceful , too much work for most.

Why people even like them is beyond me, they are not a good looking animal , they are tough looking, which I think people think is cool.

Scammer drug dealer types all seem to have them, people who listen to hip hop think its awesome,

The dogs are used for protection, and yes MOST of them are dam dangerous.

posted on Dec, 7 2016 @ 04:25 PM
link   
I have far, far too much experience with dogs to buy into the whole "mindless killing machines" nonsense.

Anyone who has worked with canines extensively, in nearly any capacity, will say exactly the same thing.

Many simply aren't interested in that though. We tend towards easy conclusions, rather than the work of addressing any singular issue effectively and this topic is no different.

What is different, and honestly fascinating, is that so many truly think themselves experts because they have had some dogs as pets. I can't think of too many comparable topics where so many will talk with such authority on things which they are obviously ignorant. That comes off a bit harsh maybe, but I really do find it interesting behavior.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join