It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

No Fake News! No Fake News! You're The Fake News!

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 7 2016 @ 03:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: BlueMule
a reply to: LSU0408

Oh well gee what monsters. Now I see why it's ok for trumputin and his nazi thralls to stoop to such lows that they render the whole damn election meaningless.

Not sure what you're talking about, buckaroo. I've yet to see any Trump supporters render the whole damn election meaningless. IIRC, democrats have been spinning out of control over the popular vote and now California wants to secede. Besides the lame old "Trump = Putin/Nazi/KKK/anything else racist or dictating" go-to liberal line, can you tell me what Republicans have rendered this election meaningless?

link   
a reply to: Vasa Croe

I would agree that trailer parks are not a common denominator in trumps support base. But being a target of fake news IS.

Liberals were hacked in the email, conservatives were hacked in the mind.

edit on 928Wednesday000000America/ChicagoDec000000WednesdayAmerica/Chicago by BlueMule because: (no reason given)

link   

a reply to: seeker1963

Wait, wait. You're a trump voter, and you're accusing someone of tribalistic thinking? Is that right? Please explain, because that seems rather odd to me.

I believe in the Constitution and all those troublesome things protected by it you Progressives are so willing to destroy!

If believing in Freedom and Liberty is a bad thing in your eyes, then yea, I will die fighting and triggering people like you!
edit on 7-12-2016 by seeker1963 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 7 2016 @ 03:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: Grimpachi

originally posted by: LSU0408

originally posted by: Grimpachi
The term fake news has been thrown around so loosely lately it has become a joke. I am not sure that the people using the term the most even know what it means.

You mean like those people that throw around bigot, racist, misogynist, homophobe, and islamophobe? Those false labels, which are used out of context on a daily basis, are a large part of the reason why we won the election.

Looks like I some how triggered you with what I wrote to the point that you can't even logically address it.

Sorry, but what you wrote doesn't correlate at all to my post or the issue that the people spewing the label "fake news" the most don't seem to know what it means.

My bad. I thought you were discussing loosely thrown around terms by people that used them so much they didn't know what they meant, so I gave you some more examples.

"triggered" he says, LOL.

posted on Dec, 7 2016 @ 03:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: theantediluvian
a reply to: network dude

Okay, now it's your turn! Let's see what we've got here...

I'm not sure at what point you and your threesome will realize that we are all in this together and to continue to try to separate us into "the sooper smart basket" and the "dumb easily led" basket. I understand you are clueless enough to really and truly believe you belong in the first one. Good for you. But I know of some really intelligent folks on the right, who don't need to belittle the opposition to feel superior. I like them.

Blah blah blah. Triggered crying. Blah blah blah. Feel better now "Skippy?" Lmao. Stick a tampon in it. You regularly insult people whose opinions you don't like and yet you're so deluded that you presume to take the moral high ground now? I'll say to you now what I was going to say to you in another thread yesterday where you were throwing your little impotent jabs.

You might want to slow your roll a bit. It's all fun and games and high fives from the morons in the peanut gallery until I decide to gaf and run through you like a tornado through your trailer park and unlike a tornado tossing your single wide into a ditch, there won't be any emergency services showing up to drag your crumpled ego from the hole in which it lands.

I will emasculate you. You won't be able to look your family in the eyes. Metallicus won't be there to hold your hand when you're hiding out in the bathroom with big fat salty tears drip-drip-dripping down your into your neckbeard. You'd be better off skipping all this and running along. I'm sure you have plenty of other reasons to cut, you don't need me to give you any more.

What in the name of Christ is this?

I think you need a 3-4 day posting time out....maybe more.

You appear to be losing it...big time.

Get a grip!

edit on 12/7/2016 by Riffrafter because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 7 2016 @ 03:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: introvert
Well said, AD.

This may be an uncomfortable thread to digest for many people, but it's about time we start calling people out for believing the lies and propaganda they subject themselves to willingly.

The Right Wing is heading in a very dangerous direction, so we must say something now.

I'll admit most of the fake news was ran by the right, but their was fake news by the left as well (granted about half).

That being said don't make this partisan, then the problem will just get worse. It's a society problem linked to the new wave of social media outlets. Propaganda has always been around, it has just evolved.

posted on Dec, 7 2016 @ 03:31 PM
link   

I would agree that trailer parks are not a common denominator in trumps support base. But being a target of fake news IS.

Liberals were hacked in the email, conservatives were hacked in the mind.

Can't say I agree. Like I asked the OP for and have yet to see, likely because there are no stats on it, is how many those fake news sites reached and what demographic read them. These are things any website should be able to provide but it seems the OP as well as many others just take it at someone's word that it reached soooo many conservatives that it swayed them somehow.

What I can say is that the MSM, Uber biased sites DID influence many things in the recent past, including but not limited to bias against police, Trump, and racial inequality. They have continually influenced and motivated more civil unrest than any fake news site could ever hope to do. They still continue to vilify Trump, push vote recount propaganda and whatever else suits their ultra liberal views.

And people give them a pass and say they made a mistake and whatever the newest excuse is.

posted on Dec, 7 2016 @ 03:32 PM
link   
a reply to: Greggers

The biggest, most destructive problem in my opinion is #2, Biased News: Facts are accurate, but spun, omitted, or included to advance one's political bias.

Fake and sensationalized news can be sifted through. Much of America is limited on their news source and only catch 3, 6, or 12 news. For years now, I've seen ABC, NBC, and CBS Evening News omit all the negative aspects of both Obama and Clinton and for the past year and a half, watched them open their Mon thru Fri program with anywhere from 5 to 15 minutes of negative commentary about Donald Trump while barely touching on anything negative about Clinton. If they didn't have anything positive to report about her, they didn't as much as mention her name.

I don't have a solution to fix this problem, but I think a good start would be hiring honest journalists/anchors that report the good and bad of both or all candidates along with good and bad news currently happening and letting the viewers decide who and what to like or dislike on their own instead of holding pertinent information out.

posted on Dec, 7 2016 @ 03:37 PM
link   

Wait, wait. You're a trump voter, and you're accusing someone of tribalistic thinking? Is that right? Please explain, because that seems rather odd to me.

You're posting proof of someone that only ingests the kind of news greggers speaks of in #3, Sensationalized News: Glaring hyperbole, alarmism, and any other trick to get people to watch, including stringing up a fake crime scene.

posted on Dec, 7 2016 @ 03:41 PM
link   

I don't have a solution to fix this problem, but I think a good start would be hiring honest journalists/anchors that report the good and bad of both or all candidates along with good and bad news currently happening and letting the viewers decide who and what to like or dislike on their own instead of holding pertinent information out.

I would love that option, but I don't think that is even possible in this day and age. Too many biases have already been formed and when you have human interaction it is inherently biased.

The only option I could see working is forcing every media outlet to work together on stories and hold each other accountable publicly for bias. This would create a vetting of information by all sides. Sure news would come out slower at the start of a process like this, but it would be more accurate with less bias. Eventually it would become a faster process. Maybe something like a council for media outlets that they all belong to and answer to and each has a vote on who is on the council and stories are reviewed before during and after for bias and any bias is made public and those responsible held accountable....but yeah...they would be too extreme.

posted on Dec, 7 2016 @ 03:42 PM
link   

From what I've seen with my google-fu, liberals just don't fall for fake news as much as conservatives. It's my understanding that in the days leading up to the election, there was a surge in fake news aimed at supporting trump.

I can totally understand why a trump supporter would be embarrassed by that.

I think the conspiracy theory community has been manipulated by a steady stream of fake news for a very, very long time.

I guess the world was content to let you gather around your theories with your tinfoil hats and your self-righteousness. But not anymore.

posted on Dec, 7 2016 @ 03:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: Vasa Croe

originally posted by: knoxie

lol. are you saying you haven't seen a trailer park in Georgia? I grew up in sandy springs as well and I've seen plenty.

Sure I have....just not in Sandy Springs and not lately. Hell....I've seen them all over the country in my travels. To insinuate that trailer parks are where all Trump supporters come from is funny though...especially with the OP inferring he either came from one too or at least hung out with the nephew of a famous singer that came from one....

Any who, California, a super delegate and very blue state, has the largest number of mobile homes by almost double any other state. Percentage wise from population it is less than others, but with almost 13 million it definitely seems more redneck than GA according to the OP standards.

True that... I'm a Trump supporter and I didn't come from a trailer park. In fact, of everyone I know, only one supported Clinton, the rest were all Trump supporters and none of them live in trailer parks. Oddly enough, TAA and his ilk are the same ones that call us bigots and racists if we stereotype.

+1 more 
posted on Dec, 7 2016 @ 03:43 PM
link   

Oh brother. You can't recall the last time you saw a trailer and you live in Georgia? Yikes. Whose the real snob here? And self-hatred? You're joking right? I frickin' love me lol.

I'm extremely pleased to hear that you have a job. That's wonderful. I also have a job! Let me guess, you also pay taxes? Remarkable! I too pay taxes! Perhaps we should start a Haz Jobz club?

FTR, folks like me in blue states aren't just paying our taxes, on average we're paying more than our "fair share" of taxes to the federal government.

name dropping

I don't always name drop but when I do, it's always country music stars.

famous by proxy.

You caught me. I was just trying to bolster my celebrity. You on the other hand seem to be taking an exchange of insults between me and another poster quite personally. Would that be considered upping your buttburt by proxy?

posted on Dec, 7 2016 @ 03:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: Vasa Croe

I would love that option, but I don't think that is even possible in this day and age. Too many biases have already been formed and when you have human interaction it is inherently biased.

The only option I could see working is forcing every media outlet to work together on stories and hold each other accountable publicly for bias. This would create a vetting of information by all sides. Sure news would come out slower at the start of a process like this, but it would be more accurate with less bias. Eventually it would become a faster process. Maybe something like a council for media outlets that they all belong to and answer to and each has a vote on who is on the council and stories are reviewed before during and after for bias and any bias is made public and those responsible held accountable....but yeah...they would be too extreme.

True. The fear of speaking ill about leading public figures needs to be eliminated and any anchor or journalist that shows bias needs to be terminated and replaced immediately. Once people start losing their jobs for reporting biased news, it would end biased reporting.

posted on Dec, 7 2016 @ 03:58 PM
link   

From what I've seen with my google-fu, liberals just don't fall for fake news as much as conservatives. It's my understanding that in the days leading up to the election, there was a surge in fake news aimed at supporting trump.

I can totally understand why a trump supporter would be embarrassed by that.

I think the conspiracy theory community has been manipulated by a steady stream of fake news for a very, very long time.

I guess the world was content to let you gather around your theories with your tinfoil hats and your self-righteousness. But not anymore.

Got any examples or are we limited to taking your opinion as gospel here?

posted on Dec, 7 2016 @ 03:59 PM
link   

I believe in the Constitution and all those troublesome things protected by it you Progressives are so willing to destroy!

Yet you voted for the guy who:

- Has a long history of suing columnists, comedians, talk show hosts, authors and anyone else whose speech he doesn't like. Promised to "open up libel laws" (you know, because he has that whole seperation of powers thing worked out) so "we can win lots of money."

- Has stated he wants to subject millions of US citizens to surveillance because of their religion.

- Has just recently said that people who burn the flag should "lose their citizenship" or possibly face a year in jail.

- Not only supports mass surveillance but said numerous times during the campaign that it should be expanded.

- Not only support Stop-and-Frisk but has stated that it should be expanded nationwide.

- Supports cruel and unusual punishments (including torture).

- Has said that the families of terrorists should be assassinated.

- Has cut backroom deals in an attempt you abuse eminent domain to take property from people for his own gain.

- Has said that he's going to see what he can do about birth right citizenship.

Hmm.. I feel like I'm missing something? It'll come to me. I'm sure I don't need to list all the applicable amendments? Not that HRC is a big defender or the Constitution but Trump has easily been the most vocally anti-Constitution candidate I can think of except when he's talking about how he'll stand up for "Article 2 and Article 12!"

Hell, he wasn't that far removed from HRC when it came to the 2A really. The difference between "expanded background checks" and "No-buy list" is mostly one of semantics.

But please, tell us more about your profound conservative love of the Constitution!

posted on Dec, 7 2016 @ 04:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: theantediluvian

FTR, folks like me in blue states aren't just paying our taxes, on average we're paying more than our "fair share" of taxes to the federal government.

name dropping

I don't always name drop but when I do, it's always country music stars.

famous by proxy.

You caught me. I was just trying to bolster my celebrity. You on the other hand seem to be taking an exchange of insults between me and another poster quite personally. Would that be considered upping your buttburt by proxy?

Hence my posting of the picture I did. I can't believe you're actually bragging that you pay more than your fair share. If you're cool with paying someone else's way then go for it....please don't push your idealism on others....I prefer to pay my own way and get there on my own.

As far as butthurt...you DID drop the name and DID say you hung out with his nephew....sounds similar to those pulled over drunk by police and shout "do you know who I am and who I know?"

No idea who the other poster is....just voicing my opinion on your continual trash threads that read like the national enquirer and support the lowest common denominator dressed in blue....

Spew the hatred on....the only way to get over something is to get it all out. Lost to the dark side I fear you are....

posted on Dec, 7 2016 @ 04:02 PM
link   
When the narratives will become completely obsolete and incapable to persuade, except only a slightest minority, the fake democracy will become an open, brutal dictatorship.

posted on Dec, 7 2016 @ 04:18 PM
link   
If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything.

Let's just put things into perspective, this is an article from your 'news' feed.

Psychic and mediumistic abilities are almost always passed down from parent to child. Many times, the strength of the ability will vary from generation to generation, depending on usage. If a parent works with a gifted child, they will raise a gifted medium, but this doesn’t happen as often as you’d think. Parents who are frustrated by their own abilities might not encourage their children to follow the same path. Children of gifted mediums might also repress the ability after watching their parents endure hardship from having the abilities.

theghostdiaries.com...

Thou hypocrite, first cast out the beam out of thine own eye; and then shalt thou see clearly to cast out the mote out of thy brother's eye.

Oh look here's a fake news site, but we aren't going to be critical about any left leaning fake news:

Trump s not Hitler, he’s Mussolini: How GOP anti-intellectualism created a modern fascist movement in America

I'll just lay something out here, if it looks sketchy, it probably is. There are gullible people in this world, and people with confirmation bias, if a story that isn't real fits into their narrative, they'll run with it.

Here is a news story from NYTimes about the rise of ISIS.

www.nytimes.com...

If you read through it, you will notice some key truths that have been left out. It does not include how the Obama administration covertly funded 'moderate' terrorists who later became ISIS, it left out how the Obama administration was supplying arms and training to the soon-to-be ISIS, and it also failed to mention the support of the coup in Syria by the Obama administration.

This tells me one thing, that this source, which you call real news, leaves out real facts and paints a false narrative. This is even worse than what you consider 'fake news', fake news is easily debunked.

Many of your threads, use blanket statements directed towards the right, you paint a false narrative using cherry-picked facts that lead to false conclusions. It's not the Right who is so easily misled by 'fake news', and it is not the left who are so easily misled by 'fake news'; it's just stupid people being true to their nature. The liberal education system and the leftists social policy have created the ideal environment for stupid people to thrive.

That's on you.

posted on Dec, 7 2016 @ 04:21 PM
link   
a reply to: LSU0408

You mean now, after the election, right? Because just before the election it seemed that every Trump supporter on these boards were screaming that the election doesn't matter because it was rigged for Hillary to win. Even Trump himself. Wait? Trump was wrong about the election as well? Hmm, then I guess we can now throw all of his comments going forward into the bin marked "fake news".

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join