It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

No Fake News! No Fake News! You're The Fake News!

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+41 more 
posted on Dec, 7 2016 @ 11:34 AM
link   
There are a lot of folks who think it's super clever to say "the MSM is the fake news!" The sentiment is not entirely lost on me. After all, didn't an ABC crew just get busted staging a shoot by stringing up crime scene tape between two metal (mic or light) stands to give the appearance that the reporter was standing in front of a crime scene?

Yes, that happened.

Is that "fake news?" It's unethical. It's certainly not confidence inspiring. The backdrop for the shot was undeniably fake. But was it "fake news?" Part of the problem with "fake news" is that as with most labels, particularly those arising in a political context, the term "fake news" doesn't have a precise definition. Another problem with "fake news" is that it's currently a buzzword used by the evil maintream media (muaahahahaha!) and in this era of hyperpartisanship, it's super cool for conservatives to denounce anything the "mainstream media" says.

Of course, the "mainstream media" label also has an imprecise definition. Furthermore, it has become increasingly useless as the largest outlets in many media sectors are often excluded when people are ranting against the "mainstream media" because too often, it's simply used to refer to any outlet with a lot of viewers/subscribers/listeners/etc that has any degree of perceived left-leaning bias. Political bias has always been a part of the media. If you doubt me, take a look at a selection of 19th century newspapers.

Is bias in media reporting bad? It certainly can be, particularly if a person's world view is completely formed around heavily skewed reporting from a single source or a handful of similarly slanted sources. What should we do about bias? The answer is the same as it as always been, consume information from multiple independent sources and more importantly — be aware of bias — and employ critical thinking to sift through the opinion to extract the little nuggets of truth, also known as facts. Beyond that, as an informed consumer, a person should always consider the sources and be appropriately skeptical.

I digress. The question I rhetorically posed was Is that "fake news?"

In the case of the ABC report, I personally would say "no." Why? The crime scene tape in the background was wrong (and stupid) but was it significant to the informational content of the report? (not particularly) Did the incident happen? (it did) Was the reporting about the incident accurate? (as far as I can tell)

So what is this "fake news" then? (and why did I post this in the Mud Pit?)

I'm going to be blunt. While there is some "fake news" that it is targetted toward those on the Left, the bulk of it is generated to appeal to those on the Right. The appropriate response for a conservative shouldn't be reflexive denial. Get over your effing butthurt. CNN predicted a Trump defeat. Boo-effin-hoo. So did Trump's internal polling. This isn't about the "lamestream media" versus right-wing media (mainstream or not). This isn't even about bias in the media.

It's about you being taken for suckers — for gullible, ignorant fools — so blinded by your politics that you're willing to be trolled by people who see you as mindless cattle to be used to make a buck from advertising revenue — or worse yet, by hostile foreign entities. The answer to your upset with the libtard SJWs isn't to start swallowing any 'ol garbage that is put in front of you simply because it appeals to your preconceived notions.

Get your s# together. If you need coddling or if you want to be cajoled — sorry — I'm not the one to do it. I was raised in a family of freedom lovin', gun totin', small government, ideological conservatives. I may not agree with you but that doesn't mean I don't like you and I'm telling you this s# is embarassing.

Next up, a prime example of "fake news."
edit on 2016-12-7 by theantediluvian because: (no reason given)

+26 more 
posted on Dec, 7 2016 @ 11:34 AM
link   
This is what "fake news" looks like:

Walkerville, MD — An FBI agent believed to be responsible for the latest email leaks “pertinent to the investigation” into Hillary Clinton’s private email server while she was Secretary of State, was found dead in an apparent murder-suicide early Saturday morning, according to police.

Investigators believe FBI agent, Michael Brown, 45, shot and killed his 33-year-old wife, Susan Brown, late Friday night before setting the couple’s home on fire and then turning the gun on himself. Brown was a 12 year veteran of the Washington D.C. Metropolitan Police Department before spending the last six years in the FBI.

Sounds legit right? Looks good right? And look, multiple sources reported the same thing:

GOP The Daily Dose - Just In : FBI Agent and His Wife Found Deceased After He Was Suspected of Leaking Hillary Emails

USA Twenty Four - FBI Agent and His Wife Found Deceased After He Was Suspected of Leaking Hillary Emails

RWC (Right Wing Conservative) News - FBI Agent and His Wife Found Deceased After He Was Suspected of Leaking Hillary Emails

Morning News USA - FBI Agent Michael Brown And Wife Dead? Hillary Clinton Cleared Of All Charges?

And those are just a few of the many many many many many many "fake news" sites/news blogs that repeated the same completely made up, entirely fabricated story. The same 100% fictitious story also made it to dozens of forums (including this one, TWICE, where thankfully it was identified as a hoax) and was shared possibly millions of fimes (more than 500k Facebook shares from the original source alone).

The incident it described never happened. The people involved never existed. The original source was The Denver Guardian which isn't a real news outlet. It is a "fake news" site that was named and designed to resemble the Guardian UK.

The creator of "The Denver Guardian" was tracked down and interviewed by NPR:

We Tracked Down A Fake-News Creator In The Suburbs. Here's What We Learned

The "Denver Guardian" was built and designed using a pretty common platform — WordPress. It's used by bloggers and people who want to create their own websites. Jansen found that the first entry ever for the site was done by someone with the handle LetTexasSecede

"That was sort of the thread that started to unravel everything," Jansen says. "I was able to track that through to a bunch of other sites which are where that handle is also present."

The sites include NationalReport.net, USAToday.com.co, WashingtonPost.com.co. All the addresses linked to a single rented server inside Amazon Web Services. That meant they were all very likely owned by the same company. Jansen found an email address on one of those sites and was able to link that address to a name: Jestin Coler.

Online, Coler was listed as the founder and CEO of a company called Disinfomedia. Coler's LinkedIn profile said he once sold magazine subscriptions, worked as a database administrator and as a freelance writer for among others, International Yachtsman magazine. And, using his name, we found a home address

The above NPR story is an example of news that is not fake. If you enjoy being trolled by people who are using your gullibility, ignorance and denial to generate ad revenue and you have absolutely no problem with believing things that are complete fabrications, then by all means, keep pretending that fake news isn't a thing.

+50 more 
posted on Dec, 7 2016 @ 11:44 AM
link   
Looks like you just drew up CTR's blueprint to plant fake news stories to then discredit the Clinton Body Count, and then set the tone to march on about "discrediting" and censoring everything else...

Where did your case study fake news sites there originate? Wasn't that in former Yugoslavia? Which of the 2 POTUS cadnidates has drug running terrorist crews, and is in cahoots with human organ traffickers on the ground out there? Hint: It isn't Trump.

Way to come in here and correct the record about the Criminal MSM not being the real fake news. So glad now that you put to rest the fact that they have been instrumental in socially engineering our society into the broke down divided war path aftermath throw away product society it is via their distortions / omissions / fantasies / delusions / diversions / divisiveness for overlapping generations on end now. Sure am glad you debunkeroo'd that reality. I'll sleep like a baby tonight and I owe it all to YOU!

edit on 7-12-2016 by IgnoranceIsntBlisss because: (no reason given)

+7 more 
posted on Dec, 7 2016 @ 11:47 AM
link   
This has been obvious to me for a while. Though pointing it out only just makes them double down against you. So I've decided to just let this idiocy play its course. The conservatives all high on life right now have all forgotten that politics is cyclical in this country and things won't be like this forever.

+25 more 
posted on Dec, 7 2016 @ 11:52 AM
link   
a reply to: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

No. This particular fake news site originated right here in the USA. You can go through contortions to protect your ego, blather about "correct the record" if you want (you know full well that I don't care) and spitball all sorts of cockamamie hypotheses to explain how this must be the work of the spawn of Satan, Queen of the Dark Forces, Hillary "Rotten" Clinton.

If that's what you want to tell yourself, go right ahead.

In fact, blame all fake news on Clinton, CTR, the DNC — whatever makes you feel better — as long as you recognize that fake news is an actual thing.

BTW, attaching the word "criminal" to things doesn't make s# criminal. It just makes you melodramatic!

posted on Dec, 7 2016 @ 11:55 AM
link   
The entire Mainstream narrative of Life is fake so whats the problem? Looking for specifics("can you be more specific"?) will only dig ya deeper into the rabbit hole.----enjoy

+8 more 
posted on Dec, 7 2016 @ 11:59 AM
link   
Well said, AD.

This may be an uncomfortable thread to digest for many people, but it's about time we start calling people out for believing the lies and propaganda they subject themselves to willingly.

The Right Wing is heading in a very dangerous direction, so we must say something now.

+30 more 
posted on Dec, 7 2016 @ 12:02 PM
link   
a reply to: theantediluvian

Okay, I see it down there now, so some disinfo troll made a bunch of fake sites.

WHO BENEFITS?

Clinton, Obama and the DNC.

Or he's just some douche being a troll. Guess Google and the other tech giants had better QUICK go invent new algorithms and databases and get lockstep with the government and the military and the media, and the rest of the international media had better get involved in promoting the language too, all on the path for total internet censorship.

I'll bet if one digs in they might find these 'new' measures now being taken for "fake news" were already being planned and developed well in advance of this sudden trend that is all of the sudden all the rage to report on and blame the anti-liberal media who just so happens to also be opposed by the very tech giants and etc and the etc and the etc involved in the 'fight against the fake news'.

Good thing this troll (or is it shill) proves that people from Texas are involved in fake news because now we can all remember how CNN is TRUTH and Obama is our hero.

+6 more 
posted on Dec, 7 2016 @ 12:03 PM
link   
a reply to: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

Holy hyperbole Batman!

+13 more 
posted on Dec, 7 2016 @ 12:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: introvert
Well said, AD.

This may be an uncomfortable thread to digest for many people, but it's about time we start calling people out for believing the lies and propaganda they subject themselves to willingly.

The Right Wing is heading in a very dangerous direction, so we must say something now.

What is the difference between fake news and super biased news that leaves out key information to make a story fit a narrative?

I don't see one, they are both fake and dangerous.

If you need a specific reference:

m.washingtontimes.com...

+26 more 
posted on Dec, 7 2016 @ 12:08 PM
link   
Cool story bro...

you found a fake news story...

film at 11.

Forgotten how up til around 8pm on Nov 8, CNN claimed Hillary had it in the bag,,they had their polls to back them up,,, no point in voting.. she was going to win by a landslide.

Of course there are tons of fake news stories... the point is,... people with common sense do not need them pointed out... they already know they are fake as soon as they see it.
edit on R092016-12-07T12:09:09-06:00k0912Vpm by RickinVa because: (no reason given)

link   
Its all fake news until its real. Some of These fake news sites have plenty of stories that turn out to be true.

Just like the MSM have plenty that turn out to be bunk. Then they just print a retraction or an apology and all is supposed to be good.

They are all just trying to get the scoop. it is up to us to take it with a grain of salt.

The MSM is just as guilty. Hell they had people convinced the world was gonna end in 2012.

link   

originally posted by: Throes

originally posted by: introvert
Well said, AD.

What is the difference between fake news and super biased news that leaves out key information to make a story fit a narrative?

I can answer this question. The second part is literally all news. Ever. There is no way to report news without it fitting a narrative of some sort. There will be facts left out and priorities of reporting will take over. Not only is it human nature to interject bias into everything it is literally the only way we can perceive reality. You cannot perceive every event that caused whatever news item being reported to happen so you only can report on the things that you've seen or rereport what others have seen. That's how it works. At SOME point you are going to have to accept some inherent bias in your news reporting (of any origin) or stop consuming it altogether.

+31 more 
posted on Dec, 7 2016 @ 12:11 PM
link   

I'm not sure at what point you and your threesome will realize that we are all in this together and to continue to try to separate us into "the sooper smart basket" and the "dumb easily led" basket. I understand you are clueless enough to really and truly believe you belong in the first one. Good for you. But I know of some really intelligent folks on the right, who don't need to belittle the opposition to feel superior. I like them.

Now, about the "fake news". When a story is presented here, it's usually vetted at some point and if found to be bull#, it will be called out as such. Sure some will clue into the headline, never read the article and debate accordingly, but most wont. Of all the places where news is presented, this place is usually the best suited to find the real meat and potatoes. And even if the real news goes against the right is better narrative, it's "truthieness" will be shown and will have to be accepted, barring the debunking.

Please notice, I didn't say anything at all about your hate. It's the repetitive left vs right narrative that seems to paint you as a tool.

+15 more 
posted on Dec, 7 2016 @ 12:12 PM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

Whats that?

The Liberal Media you know who they are and if you deny it you're a liar...
lockstep with the DNC's Era of PC divide & conquer game...
the tech giants are totally lockstep with all of that too...
this year these fake news stories all the sudden the big new thing and all the rage to discredit anti-liberal anti-PC anti-Hillary forces...
the tech giants are already rolling out multiple automated digital net-wide countermeasures...
while goosestepping alongside globalist MSM press in branding everything counter-DNC-etc-etc-etc as "fake news" [including international press from here to India](including this very site)...
...but nope no shady business they just so happened to be preparing for this 'new menace' and had it all ready to roll out this year together as one the very year that all the sudden there actually is fake news. No way shape or form could the whole thing be a CTR subversion operation. Brock he would never stoop, nor even know about such shenanigans. Google isn't IN the White House. There never were any Paid Riot Squads all is just honkey doory all about liberal lala land.

Oh, but all that reality to some people reality is just "hyperbole".

If you're going to try to act smart as least try to sound smart. Maybe come up with some new material than you're one size fits all opening response of "hyperbole", and then youre one size fits all follow response of "moving the goalposts are we". Smart people have more than one response, can actually look at jists and not need it all spelt out for them, and so on.

+8 more 
posted on Dec, 7 2016 @ 12:13 PM
link   

So the MSM media stages videos, said Hillary has a 95% of winning, they say the stock market will crash after Trump is elected but that's not fake news?

Then you point out the real "Fake News", but yet you have no comment on sites like Reddit, Twitter, ATS being caught in the crosshairs which doesent pretend to be news and aren't fake news but just commentary on the news.

So basically we are being told what to talk about, because the scope of "Fake News" isn't only fake news. Since you're here to CTR I thought you slhould know I don't like this whole, "

War on the vaguest term ever"

+6 more 
link   
The whole fake news thing is just the lefts agenda so they dont get screwed out of the election in the future.

The electoral college screwed us so lets get rid of it so it cant do it next time.

Fake news screwed us lets get rid of it so it cant happen next time.

How about the left just stop effing CRYING like a bunch of babies.

link   
Great, the virtue signalling fake news apologist strikes back'.

It's about you being taken for suckers — for gullible, ignorant fools

Not this time.

The answer to your upset with the libtard SJWs isn't to start swallowing any 'ol garbage that is put in front of you simply because it appeals to your preconceived notions.

The answer is to start producing it...

+5 more 
posted on Dec, 7 2016 @ 12:18 PM
link   
a reply to: Throes

That's an excellent example of what is arguably a fake news story coming from CNN. My purpose isn't to defend garbage like that coming from CNN (or anyone else). By all means, call them out for their s#.

Shifting to consuming garbage from fake news sites on the web isn't a step in the right direction. It's trying to avoiding a problem and causing a bigger problem.

At least CNN, Fox, MSNBC, ABC, CBS, NBC, WSJ, NYT, WaPo, etc are establishments that can be called out. They've got ratings/subcriptions to worry about and a reputation. They can be accountable. Anonymous WordPress sites aren't accountable and never will be. If they get caught, they can just register a new domain, rebrand themselves, maybe swap out WordPress themes and keep right on going without missing a beat.

posted on Dec, 7 2016 @ 12:25 PM
link   

Fake news started as baseless claims that were clearly false but now its being used for any story that someone disagrees with regard less of facts or evidence. Point blank period.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join