It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Amazon Checkout-Free Grocery Store is now a reality in Seattle

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 7 2016 @ 09:51 AM
link   
I felt like ATS could possibly use a non PizzaGate/Trump/HRC thread for a change! So, I moved to Seattle a little over a year ago from Chicago (side note - best decision I've made in a long time), and what I've quickly found out living here is all the brilliant "IT" we have nestled up in the Pacific Northwest...

The new chatter around here is around a company everyone knows, Amazon, they just launched a new store in downtown Seattle (right near me) for grocery shopping... The whole concept takes workers out of the store, and essentially a person can walk right into the grocery store, Amazon's AI picks up on your Amazon Go app on your phone, which is linked to a payment source, and anything you grab off the shelve is put into a virtual shopping cart and when you leave the store, you're charged... If you change your mind up on an item and stick it back, its removed from your virtual cart... I think this is a very interesting idea, and I do believe it will catch on...

I must say, no vertical is safe with Amazon now... A few industries that will feel them badly over the next handful of years are now, grocers, and next on the list is shipping companies, like UPS/Fedex (Jeff Bezos recently purchased a bunch of Boeing planes for his new "fleet")...

Everyone welcome to Amazon's world! lol

Let me know what you think of this video?

Link to story
edit on 7-12-2016 by jhn7537 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 7 2016 @ 09:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: jhn7537
I felt like ATS could possibly use a non PizzaGate/Trump/HRC thread for a change! So, I moved to Seattle a little over a year ago from Chicago (side note - best decision I've made in a long time), and what I've quickly found out living here is all the brilliant "IT" we have nestled up in the Pacific Northwest...

The new chatter around here is around a company everyone knows, Amazon, they just launched a new store in downtown Seattle (right near me) for grocery shopping... The whole concept takes workers out of the store, and essentially a person can walk right into the grocery store, Amazon's AI picks up on your Amazon Go app on your phone, which is linked to a payment source, and anything you grab off the shelve is put into a virtual shopping cart and when you leave the store, you're charged... If you change your mind up on an item and stick it back, its removed from your virtual cart... I think this is a very interesting idea, and I do believe it will catch on...

I must say, no vertical is safe with Amazon now... A few industries that will feel them badly over the next handful of years are now, grocers, and next on the list is shipping companies, like UPS/Fedex (Jeff Bezos recently purchased a bunch of Boeing planes for his new "fleet")...

Link to story

Love Seattle. Been trying to get my wife to move there from Chicago but she is hesitant. Not enough major employer's for her liking and complains their aren't enough black professionals. She's already worked for a Microsoft subsidiary at one point. We've did a vacation there a few years ago.

The $15/hr crowd is going to get their wish. Instead of a company having dozens of $15/hr workers, you will have one or two workers making say $20/hr overseeing the technology running the place.

posted on Dec, 7 2016 @ 09:58 AM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated

yep, just look at what other major companies like McDonald's' are doing with their new technologies they're rolling out.. You literally order from a kiosk, sit down and foods brought out to you (in a few flagship stores), but its gaining traction...

Side note- I get why your wife is hesitant, but I'm from Chicago too, and the move was one of the best choices I've ever made.. Granted, the cost of living out here is ridiculous, but the area (comparatively to Chicago) makes up for the higher-than-normal costs..

posted on Dec, 7 2016 @ 10:02 AM
link   
No human interaction.
Yet another way people can forget how to act with other humans.

And what about theft?

Nice concept, but I'm old. I like people, for the most part.

And what about jobs?
edit on 7-12-2016 by chiefsmom because: addition

posted on Dec, 7 2016 @ 10:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: chiefsmom
No human interaction.
Yet another way people can forget how to act with other humans.

And what about theft?

Nice concept, but I'm old. I like people, for the most part.

And what about jobs?

How would they steal? you can't get into the store without Amazon Go app on your phone (and a linked credit card/payment source)... And anything you grab off a shelf, goes into your virtual cart, once you leave the store, you're charged..... It will be pretty damn hard to steal

Also, with minimum wage people demanding more and more money, this is going to be 'the way' of big businesses moving forward if they can handle the upfront costs for the technologies... with companies, its all about the bottom line and I'm sure Amazon has done enough analysis to know this ways the cheaper alternative to running a business in the grocery arena..

posted on Dec, 7 2016 @ 10:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: Edumakated

Link to story

The $15/hr crowd is going to get their wish. Instead of a company having dozens of $15/hr workers, you will have one or two workers making say $20/hr overseeing the technology running the place.

Amazon doesn't normally have storefronts. It has nothing to do with the minimum wage. If it is a big enough store, they have just as many employees behind the scenes stocking.

posted on Dec, 7 2016 @ 10:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: reldra

Link to story

Amazon doesn't normally have storefronts. It has nothing to do with the minimum wage. If it is a big enough store, they have just as many employees behind the scenes stocking.

Yes, those people would likely retain jobs, but you're eliminating the checkout clerks, the people who bag groceries, and the people who would be supervising those two groups..

posted on Dec, 7 2016 @ 10:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: reldra

Link to story

Has nothing to do with Amazon. The same technology is available to your local grocery store. Fast food restaurants are already experimenting. It has everything to do with wages for unskilled labor. At $15/hr it becomes much easier to justify the ROI associated with utilizing technology to get rid of labor. Also, the behind the scenes employees will be fewer too. Stocking can be done by robots and already is in many cases.

These places will run with a handful of human employees making a nice wage to oversee all the tech. Instead of saying requiring 50 people they may only need 10 to run the store.

posted on Dec, 7 2016 @ 10:42 AM
link   
a reply to: jhn7537

Holy crap, so many jobs will be deleted.

And now I wont have to deal with unhelpful jackasses who dont want to be at their job anyways.

Pro vs Con eh?

posted on Dec, 7 2016 @ 10:50 AM
link   

a reply to: Edumakated

yep, just look at what other major companies like McDonald's' are doing with their new technologies they're rolling out.. You literally order from a kiosk, sit down and foods brought out to you (in a few flagship stores), but its gaining traction...

Side note- I get why your wife is hesitant, but I'm from Chicago too, and the move was one of the best choices I've ever made.. Granted, the cost of living out here is ridiculous, but the area (comparatively to Chicago) makes up for the higher-than-normal costs..

Yeah, pretty much every fast food joint is looking for ways to lower labor costs now. Cashiers are going to go the way of movie theatre ushers and gas attendants pumping gas... cost too much to keep them. Do it your damn self.

Seattle ain't cheap. From the areas we would consider, it seems more expensive than Chicago. Love the scenery, dining, etc. However, it is a bit far from family, so it would take a significant financial incentive for us to move.

posted on Dec, 7 2016 @ 10:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: Lysergic

And now I wont have to deal with unhelpful jackasses who dont want to be at their job anyways.

Pro vs Con eh?

Like any new technology, I'm sure there will be a learning curve for the general public, but I see this being the way of the future, especially seeing how much money Amazon is investing into this concept.. Granted, they have enough cash on hands to do practically anything (without feeling it), but I see this gaining traction in the coming years... I love the idea of no lines to checkout, I also love the idea of not needing to juggle money, with everything linked to my Amazon Go account.... It kinda reminds me of when Uber first hit the market, I was hesitant at first, but now I use it all the time and love not needing to tip or juggle money with it all being linked to my payment source.

posted on Dec, 7 2016 @ 11:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: Lysergic

Pro vs Con eh?

Like any new technology, I'm sure there will be a learning curve for the general public, but I see this being the way of the future, especially seeing how much money Amazon is investing into this concept.. Granted, they have enough cash on hands to do practically anything (without feeling it), but I see this gaining traction in the coming years... I love the idea of no lines to checkout, I also love the idea of not needing to juggle money, with everything linked to my Amazon Go account.... It kinda reminds me of when Uber first hit the market, I was hesitant at first, but now I use it all the time and love not needing to tip or juggle money with it all being linked to my payment source.

Amazon is doing this the right way. Many stores have tried to get rid of cashiers but the systems have never worked great. The main reason is that you still had to "check out" scan stuff and work the little machine to pay. It was kind of a PITA. A human who did it consistently is faster. Nothing was worse than waiting on some grandma at the self checkout trying to figure out how to use it.

Amazon sees this issue. They've essentially made the tech so that yuo don't have to do anything. Just throw the stuff in your cart and walk out. This is far more efficient.

But here is the kicker and why they are doing this....

People spend more when using credit than they do cash. Especially if it doesn't require you to really do anything except press a button. I can see people buying way more groceries under this system where the billing is automatic. This is key in low margin retail like groceries. The end goal is to get you to spend more.

posted on Dec, 7 2016 @ 11:09 AM
link   
Cool! Going to go downtown today and check this store out. The more our society is automated, the closer we are to instituting a basic living wage for everyone.

posted on Dec, 7 2016 @ 11:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: underwerks
Cool! Going to go downtown today and check this store out. The more our society is automated, the closer we are to instituting a basic living wage for everyone.

Just found out that only Amazon employees can utilize this test store now. But in early 2017, it's open to the public... I work indirectly with Amazon, so I'm trying to weasel my way in... lol

What part of Seattle you in, bud? I'm in LQA right off Mercer st, near Key arena area...

posted on Dec, 7 2016 @ 11:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: underwerks

Just found out that only Amazon employees can utilize this test store now. But in early 2017, it's open to the public... I work indirectly with Amazon, so I'm trying to weasel my way in... lol

What part of Seattle you in, bud? I'm in LQA right off Mercer st, near Key arena area...

Dang I was hoping to try that out today. Had me feeling all futuristic haha. I'm up around Capitol Hill.

posted on Dec, 7 2016 @ 11:20 AM
link   
What, they got RFID chips in their apples or something?

Tasty.

posted on Dec, 7 2016 @ 11:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: NthOther
What, they got RFID chips in their apples or something?

Tasty.

Every item sits on a sensor, when you pick up an item, the sensor goes off immediately (putting the item into your virtual cart), once you leave, the item is charged to your credit card on file with Anmazon... Pretty simple, neat concept! and no RFID chips in the food

posted on Dec, 7 2016 @ 11:33 AM
link   

Every item sits on a sensor, when you pick up an item, the sensor goes off immediately (putting the item into your virtual cart), once you leave, the item is charged to your credit card on file with Anmazon... Pretty simple, neat concept! and no RFID chips in the food

What if you stick a little bag of sand on the censor at the same time you pick up the apple, Indiana Jones-style?

posted on Dec, 7 2016 @ 11:37 AM
link   
I dont like this at all. Imagine someone like WAL-MART using this. That is alot of jobs. Just floor guys and stockers left.

This tech could affect every industry and kill cash.

posted on Dec, 7 2016 @ 11:39 AM
link   
Is the censor in your phone? seems like you could lose your phone and find a 1000 dollar grocery bill.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join