It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Donald Trump: 'We will stop racing to topple foreign regimes'

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 8 2016 @ 08:25 PM
link   
a reply to: odzeandennz

And so far we only see him keeping his promises.

With obama we saw the exact opposite from day one.
"if i become president i will bring the all troops back!" , when he became president he sent MORE troops. Also remember Obamacare, "you can keep your current plan". for months on end he promised this.

Yeah.. We all know what happened with that.

posted on Dec, 8 2016 @ 10:13 PM
link   
Nothing would make me happier than for this to prove true. And I hope and pray it does.

For it to be true though, would require:

• The "war against ISIS" not conveniently expanding into the same places we've been meddling in all along, and the outcome not to be part of those existing agendas.
  • Him to resist the influence of people around him such as, if he ends up including them in his cabinet, Richard Armitage and John Bolton - people currently considered for certain positions apparently.
  • Not taking actions that could potentially ensure a nuclear arms race in the Middle East that we would have to act to contain and deter (some of which he has already pledged to take.)
  • Him Ignoring or overruling his pick for SecDef (who, mind you, imho is by far the most imminently qualified of all his picks so far, on a pragmatic level,) Mattis, who has said he believes Iran and ISIS are linked, and that ISIS is essentially an afterthought compared to the much graver threat posed by Iran.
  • Him ignoring or overruling his national security adviser pick, Flynn, who also sees ties between Iran and ISIS and believes America hasn't done enough to limit Iranian influence in the region. (Note the theme emerging: tear up the Iran deal, which all but guarantees Iran goes back to enrichment; Iran is the big threat; Iran has ties to ISIS and benefits from ISIS - even though Iran is fighting ISIS, and even though we in no small part helped create ISIS and the dynamics in which it has flourished... etc.)

... and/or congress blocking his appointments and resulting in a much different cabinet than the one he wants.

Mind you, Iran is a nasty customer and a threat. But if his goal is avoid war with Iran or others in the region... he's going to have to go back on a lot of what he said while campaigning (Iran "taking over" the region, an oversimplified yet similar version of what Mattis sees happening in the region - because he sees a lot more threats from Iran than just the nuclear program, and sees them as eventually existential to our allies - which may be true in the long run, granted - and will likely stress this to Trump,) and ignore a lot of the advice he's likely to receive if he gets the cabinet he wants.

I want this to be true as well. And as I've said before... I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt. He's not even in office yet as others have opined. But like others... I'll believe it when I see it. That's a lot of power, with a lot of people whispering in someone's ear to use it in very particular ways. So far, no one's been able to resist it, or not end up simply having been less than truthful to start with.

We shall see.

Peace.

posted on Dec, 10 2016 @ 07:30 AM
link   
a reply to: everyone

There will be no wall of the scale Trump or anyone else for that matter conceives. Its a nonsensical unimplementable pipe dream that simple wont work and will cost an arm and a leg to build, maintain and police in any effective manner.

new topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join