It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Alcoholics Anonymous

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 23 2003 @ 08:41 AM
link   
It seems that there is a distant connection with the publishing of the first ever AA book and the Rockefellers.

alcoholism.about.com...

also this is the AA symbol, a triangle within a circle:

I am not suggestinjg that AA (or other 12 step fellowships) is sinister, it saves countless lives, but it seems like there is more to it's origins than meets the eys.

[Edited on 24-6-2003 by moonclamp]

posted on Jun, 23 2003 @ 08:42 PM
link   
Wow, excellent find!

Sort of makes you wonder about the idea of "Surrender"....

posted on Jul, 1 2003 @ 01:42 PM
link   
At the 20th Anniversary Convention of AA in St. Louis, MO. on July 1 - 3, 1955; Bill Wilson said the following: "Above us we see a banner and that banner shows a circle which is AA circumscribing the world. Within it is a triangle. The base of the triangle is the foundation of recovery on which we stand. The left of the triangle symbolizes our unity, and the right of the triangle our arm of service. Such is the symbol of AA. I first saw it in Norway in 1950, but this symbol is not new with us. We have attributed a particular significance to it but in actuality its significance is very old. Students of ancient days tell that centuries ago it was regarded by priests and witch doctors alike as the symbol by which evil spirits could be kept away, and may that symbol ever stand guard over the society of Alcoholics Anonymous."

This symbol is also an ancient spiritual symbol for wholeness of body, mind and spirit; or "Oneness".

----------there is NOTHING more to this then what meets YOUR eyes___________

posted on Jul, 1 2003 @ 01:43 PM
link   
Damn I almost forgot!! I have a AA meeting tonight !
oops...

posted on Jul, 1 2003 @ 02:08 PM
link   
Salem - was that supposed to be funny?

posted on Mar, 2 2004 @ 06:35 PM
link   
That's the funniest conspirasy theory I have heard of yet.

I would be worried...sober people can be scary!!

posted on Mar, 2 2004 @ 06:48 PM
link   
AA Saved My Life (soooo far)

posted on Mar, 2 2004 @ 06:55 PM
link   
AA, in conspiratorial circles, is probably just a plot to get those dependent on alcohol to convert, and subsequently surrender, to the christianity ethic.

I think that the governments should institute prohibition laws, but that would work against the Pope's plans to convert the hoplessly dependent alcoholics to mass christianity.

posted on Mar, 2 2004 @ 07:15 PM
link   
Only a quitter joins AA.......LOL

posted on Mar, 2 2004 @ 07:21 PM
link   
i know alchool consumption is related with secret societies and new world order but soberness, faith and service ??

bull#

not every pyramid is related with the new world order, that's quick conclusions and stupid associations..

posted on Mar, 2 2004 @ 07:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by IMMORTAL
AA, in conspiratorial circles, is probably just a plot to get those dependent on alcohol to convert, and subsequently surrender, to the christianity ethic.

I think that the governments should institute prohibition laws, but that would work against the Pope's plans to convert the hoplessly dependent alcoholics to mass christianity.

OK, you have won my "Most Completely Insane Conspiracy Theory of the Week" award. Here's a cookie. A MIND CONTROL cookie.

As for Prohibition, we tried it. It didn't work out so well.

[Edited on 2-3-2004 by Esoterica]

posted on Mar, 2 2004 @ 07:45 PM
link   
Lucky you. But the GOVERNMENT has completely backed and authorized AA and all it's tenants and it's method by REQUIRING anyone that get's a DUI to attend AA meetings now, and get signatures for their parole officer.

What is so funny, is that AA is a secret society and the judges have NO CLUE alot of the time what they are forcing people to participate in. You MUST surrender to a spiritual higher power in AA. Hmmm, separation of church and state? Not for DUI's.

If you get two DUI's IN YOUR LIFE now, the state declares you have a mental disorder called alcoholism and forces you into the secret society of AA. Sometimes they do it after one DUI.

There's a problem here IMO.

I've been to a few hundred meetings in my life and I'll be the first to say AA kept me sick (though it can help some). It is NOT something that should be mandated for all though. Now who wants to fight about it?

posted on Mar, 2 2004 @ 07:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by RANT
Lucky you. But the GOVERNMENT has completely backed and authorized AA and all it's tenants and it's method by REQUIRING anyone that get's a DUI to attend AA meetings now, and get signatures for their parole officer.

What is so funny, is that AA is a secret society and the judges have NO CLUE alot of the time what they are forcing people to participate in. You MUST surrender to a spiritual higher power in AA. Hmmm, separation of church and state? Not for DUI's.

If you get two DUI's IN YOUR LIFE now, the state declares you have a mental disorder called alcoholism and forces you into the secret society of AA. Sometimes they do it after one DUI.

There's a problem here IMO.

I've been to a few hundred meetings in my life and I'll be the first to say AA kept me sick (though it can help some). It is NOT something that should be mandated for all though. Now who wants to fight about it?

Are you sure that's not two DUI's a month? That's what I read. And are you sure it's not only AA meetings, or just some sort of treatment. People would choose AA because it's free. Psychiatrists aren't.

posted on Mar, 2 2004 @ 08:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Esoterica

OK, you have won my "Most Completely Insane Conspiracy Theory of the Week" award. Here's a cookie. A MIND CONTROL cookie.

If you look at the connections, why do people all of a suddent convert to the gospels of christ etc. The "jesus loves you" syndrom. For further information, read my signature.

posted on Mar, 2 2004 @ 08:03 PM
link   

Or, like myself, you can take the positives of AA and view them as a supportive group without the spirituality aspect. You have to plug in your own symbols and parallels in some of the doctrine, but it can work if you view the "higher power" is seen as something outside of yourself or greater than yourself...and not necessarily "the higher power".

posted on Mar, 2 2004 @ 08:06 PM
link   

If you look at the connections, why do people all of a suddent convert to the gospels of christ etc. The "jesus loves you" syndrom. For further information, read my signature.

Hey, if it works, go for it. If somebody wants to start a secular addiction program that doesn't cost any money, there's nothing stopping them. This just sounds like more "it's got religion, so it's automaticaaly bad".

See my sig for details

posted on Mar, 2 2004 @ 08:40 PM
link   

This just sounds like more "it's got religion, so it's automaticaaly bad".

I'm glad to have provided an alternate topic on the AA issue.

Yes, AA is good for recovery when someone aims for the higher power, it just gets suspicious when the bible comes into play.

I still think that Alcoholic beverages should be made illegal in North America. I've seen alcoholism destroy people's lives and I've also witnessed the eventual demise of some of these people.

Alcoholic beverages are perhaps just one method on the governments part to further subjugate people to destructive addictions, aside from the tax benefits governments receive because alcoholic beverages are taxed in Canada.

posted on Mar, 2 2004 @ 08:43 PM
link   

This just sounds like more "it's got religion, so it's automaticaaly bad".

I'm glad to have provided an alternate topic on the AA issue.

Yes, AA is good for recovery when someone aims for the higher power, it just gets suspicious when the bible comes into play.

I still think that Alcoholic beverages should be made illegal in North America. I've seen alcoholism destroy people's lives and I've also witnessed the eventual demise of some of these people.

Alcoholic beverages are perhaps just one method on the governments part to further subjugate people to destructive addictions, aside from the tax benefits governments receive because alcoholic beverages are taxed in Canada.

Alcohol is also taxed in the US, just not as much. Seeing as how I believe it's not the government's responsibiltiy to force me to make good decisions, I politely disagree.

On the topic of the thread, AA was started by Bill, who found that his 12 steps worked for him, and wanted to help others. The government had nothing to do with it's founding or it's steps. As I said before, people are free to go to AA as they choose. If you don't like the Bible, then someone should start a secular AA organization. B!tching doesn't build bridges.

posted on Mar, 2 2004 @ 09:54 PM
link   
for when the ''ATSA'' meetings ?

posted on Mar, 2 2004 @ 10:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by RANT
Lucky you. But the GOVERNMENT has completely backed and authorized AA and all it's tenants and it's method by REQUIRING anyone that get's a DUI to attend AA meetings now, and get signatures for their parole officer....

Are you sure that's not two DUI's a month? That's what I read. And are you sure it's not only AA meetings, or just some sort of treatment. People would choose AA because it's free. Psychiatrists aren't.

I'm POSITIVE! I was mandated to AA and a shrink after one DUI. It get's ugly after two. Like going to AA everyday for for 3 to 6 months then three or four times a week thereafter for the duration of your parole (up to 2 to 5 years). And yes, you get a shrink too. It's not a choice. A dui now costs you several 10's of thousands of dollars (or it can).

My second lifetime DUI (years apart - roadblock no wreck) got me 30 days jail, followed by 6 months house arrest, 5 years probation ( i can't drive now and haven't had a dui this millenium), and manditory AA and psychiatrists the first two years. Like I said, I went to hundereds if not thousands of AA meetings to get signatures by law.

Every judge is different but this is increasingly the norm.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join