It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do we have a "block" feature?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 7 2016 @ 01:06 AM
link   
I'm sorry if there's already an answer to this question and I've missed it (I did search and waded through many pages of results before I gave up) but is there any way to block a particular member so that you don't see their posts? There is one certain member, who I don't wish to name because they never quite cross the line into behavior I feel we should alert mods about but whose posts never EVER contribute anything other than stress and strife. Ever. I haven't read a single, solitary post in any thread this person participated in that contributed anything other than negativity. I'm to the point where simply seeing his/her avatar makes my blood boil and I would dearly love to be able to simply hide his/her "contributions" rather than scrolling past them...page...after page...after page... Is there any way to do this?

posted on Dec, 7 2016 @ 01:13 AM
link   
a reply to: riiver

Then everyone would be in their own echo chambers and it'd kill the site.

posted on Dec, 7 2016 @ 01:19 AM
link   
A monk and a novice were walking along a road discussing inherent buddha nature,universal consciousness and the dharma when a dog comes up to the novice he goes to pat the dog and it bites him,the novice complains that if all sentient beings have buddha nature why did he just get bitten,the monk replied this is so but the dog does not know this.Im afraid you just have to suffer some people

posted on Dec, 7 2016 @ 01:20 AM
link   
I apologize. However , me being me.....
Oh , wait. I just did it again.

edit on 12/7/16 by Gothmog because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 7 2016 @ 01:29 AM
link   
a reply to: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

Because out of all the hundreds (thousands?) of people on this site, there's one single voice I want to ignore? Good lord, I disagree with a ton of stuff people say here. I read it anyway. I consider what the posters have to say whether I agree or not. Sometimes I argue my point. Sometimes it's not important enough to bother. I'm not looking to block out opposing views...just one hateful little voice that never contributes anything beyond name-calling and personal attacks in any thread I've read. ONE, out of all the folks on this site.

Anyhow. That didn't answer the question, which was "IS this possible?" not "should I do it?"

posted on Dec, 7 2016 @ 01:30 AM
link   
a reply to: khnum

Sigh... I thought that was probably the case but figured it wouldn't hurt to ask. Thanks for the answer

posted on Dec, 7 2016 @ 01:31 AM
link   

Man up. Different people, different opinions and personalities. Freedom.
Enjoy and embrace the diversity. Maybe you're just not seeing the tongue in cheek?

I also have a few where I read their name, like itisnowagain and think oh no, but in the end I agreed with a few things she said.
Why so defensive? People are mostly more multifaceted than they appear on line. Where you try to keep it short. Ignore the avatars maybe and be open to the story behind the posts.

posted on Dec, 7 2016 @ 01:32 AM
link   
a reply to: Gothmog

Not you

posted on Dec, 7 2016 @ 01:36 AM
link   
No blockbots, no safe spaces, none of that here.

Ignore them if they dont add value to the conversation you are having. Who knows...after a few months they may turn around and start adding stuff you might find interesting.

Over the years here, I have gone from absolute distaste of people to actually quite enjoying their views (and no doubt visa versa from others in both directions)

posted on Dec, 7 2016 @ 01:42 AM
link   
There used to be an "Ignore" option, but it got dropped. If it was dropped partly because it was too "expensive" in terms of speed of operation, it is not likely to come back.

posted on Dec, 7 2016 @ 01:49 AM
link   
a reply to: Peeple

In all the years of reading here at ATS--and I was a lurker for years before I actually joined--this is what I did, and this is what I still do. I read here nearly every day, and I have never, ever wanted to block someone before--I'm not about sticking my fingers in my ears and ignoring what I don't agree with. (For example, I'm always happy to see your posts, even though I often disagree. They're well-thought out and well-written and sometimes make me think.) If I never read/listened to/watched/considered opinions I don't agree with I'd be a pretty 2-dimensional person and I'd never learn anything. I'm not talking about opposing opinions, but pure trollery. In any case, the answer appears to be "no," and I appreciate everyone answering the question for me.

posted on Dec, 7 2016 @ 01:51 AM
link   
a reply to: DISRAELI

Ah. I thought there used to be one, but I'd never used it. I thought maybe I was just missing it after the most recent site redesign shuffled things around. Thanks

posted on Dec, 7 2016 @ 01:54 AM
link   
a reply to: SaturnFX

Argh! The phrase "safe space" is one of my triggers! (Poor attempt at a joke on my part). I've had that happen too.

posted on Dec, 7 2016 @ 01:56 AM
link   
You can learn from the annoying, mean, selfish, jerk posters. You learn how NOT to be like them.

In a similar vein, when I see someone 5'10" and 300 pounds coming out of McDonalds, it strengthens my resolve to excercise harder the next day...and to avoid bad foods.
edit on 12/7/2016 by carewemust because: minor adjustments

posted on Dec, 7 2016 @ 01:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: riiver
a reply to: SaturnFX

Argh! The phrase "safe space" is one of my triggers! (Poor attempt at a joke on my part). I've had that happen too.

There are a few people here that I would like to simply press some sort of universal delete button on, but meh...their voice also is fine, as it shows a contrast between their views, and my views

or as I like to call it, my enlightened understandings and their sheer stupidity...I will let onlookers decide of course.

posted on Dec, 7 2016 @ 02:03 AM
link   
I've found myself wanting to block people on occasion.

It's never because of opposing views. Hell, that's the majority I voluntarily engage with on ATS.

The people i've wanted to block were for the same reasons you've mentioned "hateful little voice that never contributes anything beyond name-calling and personal attacks in any thread"

Essentially, trolls that contribute nothing of substance and are merely visual clutter.

posted on Dec, 7 2016 @ 02:12 AM
link   
I believe ATS once had an ignore feature..That was a long time ago.

I could be mistaken about that. I don't really remember and I certainly never used it.

Ignore functions on this site would create an echo chamber. I enjoy debate with those who disagree with me. If I can't properly defend my beliefs, if I can't back up my claims, and if such can't stand up to scrutiny then my ideas and beliefs are invalid.

My ideological, political, and scientific opponents here have helped me shape my world view in a more complete fashion. Without them and their constant challenges to my notions of reality, no matter how distasteful to me(within reason mind you) their opinions might be, they are still extremely valuable.

Now, if someone is harassing you or threatening you then you need to alert ATS staff. Otherwise you need to learn to suck it up.

posted on Dec, 7 2016 @ 02:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: carewemust
You can learn from the annoying, mean, selfish, jerk posters. You learn how NOT to be like them.

In a similar vein, when I see someone 5'10" and 300 pounds coming out of McDonalds, it strengthens my resolve to excercise harder the next day...and to avoid bad foods.

...as you go into McDonalds? Teehehehehehhhe

posted on Dec, 7 2016 @ 03:19 AM
link   
a reply to: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

That's exactly why the feature was removed.

posted on Dec, 7 2016 @ 03:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

Then everyone would be in their own echo chambers and it'd kill the site.

I know I'm gonna get it for this, but I kind of wonder if that isn't the best solution.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join