It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Liverpool makes bid for Britains first legal prostitution zone

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 27 2005 @ 01:32 AM
link   
The city council of Liverpool with an overwhelming majority has approved plans to legalize prostitution. The plan must now be submitted to the Home Office for final approval. If granted, Liverpool would become the first city in Britain with a prostitution zone. The proposed red light district would follow a model used by the Dutch in the city of Utrecht.

story.news.yahoo.com[/ur l]
LONDON (AFP) - The English city of Liverpool late yesterday approved plans to set up a red light district to allow legal prostitution.

The plan, supported overwhelmingly by the city council, must now be submitted to the Home Office for approval.

"The council has voted with an overwhelming majority to approach the Home Office with our plans," a council spokeswoman said.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

This I think is a good idea. The concept works well in Nevada. The girls are tested, pay taxes, and regulated by the state. They keep a large percentage compared to an average street hooker. Condoms are mandatory and the girls are tested weekly.

[edit on 1/27/05 by FredT]

posted on Jan, 27 2005 @ 01:42 AM
link   
Hot foriegn girls with sexy accents,
man my trip to england just got more expensive!!!

While i feel prostitution is socially/culturally questionable to institutionalize, i dont think i have the will to resist this vice....Im glad i dont live in vegas or liverpool as id be broke and divorced...LOL

posted on Jan, 27 2005 @ 02:45 AM
link   
CazMedia have you heard the liverpool accent? I't's quite broad and gutteral and not very sexy so I think your marriage is safe
Then again maybe I'm biased since I'm from Yorkshire.

posted on Jan, 27 2005 @ 02:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by CazMedia
While i feel prostitution is socially/culturally questionable to institutionalize, i dont think i have the will to resist this vice....Im glad i dont live in vegas or liverpool as id be broke and divorced...LOL

No, Vegas does you no good. Its not the whole state just certain areas. Not that its not avalible in Vegas, just illegal

posted on Jan, 27 2005 @ 03:28 AM
link   
I'm working in Liverpool today, just down the road from where I imagine the red light friendly zone would be. I personally work in the adult industry (I work for a chain of 'Ann Summers' style adult shops, but we're licensed) and feel that the plans would be a good thing - the idea of having a regulatory body is the most important aspect. We all know there's some scumbags in the world who would abuse the prostitutes, with it being all above board they may be less likely if they knew the girls were protected by law. Also, mandatory condoms is a very good thing.

There is a huge market for adult entertainment in Liverpool and surrounding areas. Liverpool has 4 adult shops alone, 2 of which are licensed, basically meaning they are allowed more of what the local council describe as "Sex Articles" (adult toys) and are allowed to sell R18 rated DVDs (hardcoreDVDs & Videos). Since the UK government relaxed sex industry laws a fair few years ago, the industry has imho lost it's sleazy image and must be a huge earner for our authorities due to licensing fees and VAT etc.

Provided that it's handled correctly, I'm all for it.

Peace

Tandino

[EDIT]

The Liverpool accent varies hugely, some of it makes me feel ill, some of it makes me a wee bit 'excited.' It's not all bad!

[edit on 27-1-2005 by tandino]

posted on Jan, 27 2005 @ 03:56 AM
link   
Cazmedia....

If you go to Liverpool you will need to take a dictionary or interpreter with you!!!

The local accent is very thick and hard to understand even to a native!

oh! and watch you dont get robbed!!! lol!!

posted on Jan, 27 2005 @ 05:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by spacemunkey
Cazmedia....

If you go to Liverpool you will need to take a dictionary or interpreter with you!!!

The local accent is very thick and hard to understand even to a native!

oh! and watch you dont get robbed!!! lol!!

It's sweeping generalisations like that that annoy me. Have you ever been to Liverpool spacemunkey? Did you get robbed?

You can't assume that all people in Liverpool have an accent like Harry Enfield's "The scousers" characters. I'm from Liverpool and nobody else I know, whether they're from Bristol, London, France, Spain or America, have any problems understanding me (providing they speak/understand English). Liverpool has changed hugely since the UK Capital of Culture bid was a success, new jobs, buildings, attractions etc. It's a changing place and it deserves recognition for what it is.

/Rant

If you're from Liverpool spacemunkey and are having a laugh, disregard...

Peace,

Tandino

posted on Jan, 27 2005 @ 05:05 AM
link   
I was joking. If you cant laugh at yourself then its a pretty sad day. Yes I am qualified to comment.

posted on Jan, 27 2005 @ 05:05 AM
link   
Alas i dought ill ever have the spare $$$ to visit merry ole England, let alone be able to afford a future optional brothel there...
but we all have dreams.

As long as the locals can put up talking slowly to a yank like he's an idiot, id have a wonderful time!

[edit on 27-1-2005 by CazMedia]

posted on Jan, 27 2005 @ 05:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by spacemunkey
I was joking. If you cant laugh at yourself then its a pretty sad day. Yes I am qualified to comment.

It's all good. You can surely see my point though, does it not get on your tits a bit when you see people who aren't from Liverpool giving you funny looks like they actually expect you to steal something... I don't always steal things

posted on Jan, 27 2005 @ 05:29 AM
link   
yeah, I know what you mean, but if people want to live in ignorance......I say leave them to it!!

posted on Jan, 27 2005 @ 07:03 AM
link   
If Liverpool get the 'go-ahead' for the legalisation of brothels, it will be the first of many. This should have been done years ago.

The fact is prostitution has always and will always be with us, there are to many customers wanting this service out there (not speaking from experience!) All prostitutes are involved in illegal activity, thus bringing them into contact with other illegal activities i.e. Drugs, trafficking and violence, if this is reduced then the other criminal activities should reduce also. If the girls have to undergo regular checkups for AIDS and drug use, again this will reduce social problems.

posted on Jan, 27 2005 @ 07:08 AM
link   
The people of Liverpool must be pretty cool to allow such a thing. Now there's something other then the Beatles that I will think of when I hear Liverpool mentioned.

Here in the Pacific Northwest police state of Washington we still see our tax dollars being used to arrest prostitutes & their customers. Yep, they point guns at us, handcuff us, jail us & extort money from us just for wanting to pay for sex.

[edit on 27-1-2005 by outsider]

posted on Jan, 27 2005 @ 11:37 AM
link   
We are also leading the way in banning smoking in Bars and Restaurants too!
The City is on the up.
(I don't rob anything either)

posted on Jan, 28 2005 @ 04:25 AM
link   
Glad you're not a robber GEORGE - even if you were I doubt you could rob me, unless you work for the goverment who robs me daily. Where I come from we prefer to let Restaurants & Bars choose for themselves whether or not to allow smoking. It's nice being able to go out without having too smell like smoke when you return home, but I don't think we need the government telling business people how to run their businesses - let the market decide for itself and keep the government where it belongs - out of our business.

[edit on 28-1-2005 by outsider]

top topics

join