It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

California . . . the first Sanctuary State.

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 7 2016 @ 12:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: Annee

originally posted by: projectvxn
a reply to: Annee

Indeed. I just wish we could slow down the craziness of their government.

Why is it crazy?

CA has had its own Civil Rights Act - - which includes protection for sexual orientation since 1959.

If that makes us Liberal and Progressive - - good for us.

The Unruh Civil Rights Act is a piece of California legislation that specifically outlaws discrimination based on sex, race, color, religion, ancestry, national origin, age, disability, medical condition, marital status, or sexual orientation. This law applies to all businesses such as hotels and motels, restaurants, theaters, hospitals, barber and beauty shops, housing accommodations, and retail establishments. The law was enacted in 1959 and was named for its author, Jesse M. Unruh. The Unruh Civil Rights Act is codified as California Civil Code section 51. en.wikipedia.org...

Placing the welfare of foreigners over the well being of their own citizens comes to mind. People seem to forget the government, whether its local, county, state or federal, derive their legitimacy through the consent of the people (By people I am referring to lawful citizens).

As for California being liberal well they arent called the "left coast" for nothing. The 9th circus, err circuit, court of appeals is also one of the most overturned circuits we have. Why? Because of their liberalism and refusal to use the Constitution when making rulings.
edit on 7-12-2016 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 7 2016 @ 01:02 AM
link   

You also have over 500 amendments to your state constitution, most of it tax increases.

California has the highest income tax burden of any state in the union at 13.3 percent.

The California tax code is rivaled only by the federal tax code.

Regulatory burden has driven many small businesses out of the state and many have opted to vote with their feet over it.

Constant assaults on the 2nd amendment.

Allowing sanctuary cities in contravention of federal law.

Nancy Pelosi.
edit on 7 12 16 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 7 2016 @ 01:10 AM
link   
California is mostly agricultural.

California was built by Mexican farm workers - - and really - everything else.

Its what California is.

Its like protecting your brother.

posted on Dec, 7 2016 @ 01:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: projectvxn

Constant assaults on the 2nd amendment.

You and your 2nd amendment. Is that usually the first thing out of your mouth?

Does it have to show up everywhere?

And yes, I am a gun owner.

posted on Dec, 7 2016 @ 01:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: Xcathdra

As for California being liberal well they arent called the "left coast" for nothing. The 9th circus, err circuit, court of appeals is also one of the most overturned circuits we have. Why? Because of their liberalism and refusal to use the Constitution when making rulings.

What are we comparing it to any way? The Bible Belt?

Give examples of your issue with the 9th circuit. Does it involve gays?

posted on Dec, 7 2016 @ 01:18 AM
link   

It was the 5th thing I mentioned.

I don't give a crap if you own guns.

Violating rights is not cool no matter which ones you cherry pick.

posted on Dec, 7 2016 @ 01:18 AM
link   

edit on 7 12 16 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 7 2016 @ 01:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse

originally posted by: TheLotLizard

California people just wants more low paid illegals to do their work so they can sit in comfort and not have to clean their homes or take care of their yards. They can stretch their money that way instead of hiring contractors. or the contractors can do the work cheaper and get more work.

The average illegal immigrant in California makes way less than the average worker does there.

Have you even been to California or have you just been eating all the stereotypical bull# that the television has been spewing for years?

I have friends who live in California. This is going on there, do you live there? If you do, Do you pay attention to what is really going on or do you just ignore this kind of stuff happening..

I've lived here all my life. Let me guess they live in an urban area right?

I've been all over California throughout the years and I've never seen someone even think about hiring cheap Mexican labor nor do they idolize their lawn. Everyone's lawn here is dead because they haven't been watering them from the drought. Who do water their lawns are despised in communities for wasting water.

Again just because saying your "friends" live here doesn't mean that is even close to the realities of what is California. That would be like me saying that all of Michigan is a rundown welfare state plagued with black homeless people that rob steal and murder you for an egg mcmuffin because a TV documentary told me so.

posted on Dec, 7 2016 @ 02:03 AM
link   

I've lived here all my life. Let me guess they live in an urban area right?

How many years?

I've been all over California throughout the years and I've never seen someone even think about hiring cheap Mexican

The "day laborers" used to stand on street corners. You pick up how ever many you needed. If you found a really good worker, you'd find a way to keep him. He often became your foreman.

It was a simple, effective plan.

Then the crackdowns came and things changed. Fake papers became a serious business.

There's no loyalty anymore. Now it's all about the dollar.
edit on 7-12-2016 by Annee because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 7 2016 @ 04:14 AM
link   

Respectfully -

I always find it interesting when someone makes an argument against my point while demonstrating they have not spent any time researching it.

How are you arriving at your conclusion without the research?

posted on Dec, 7 2016 @ 04:31 AM
link   
Northern California, has been trying to secede from the south for a long time. Most of us want the State of Jefferson to become a reality. I live in No. Cal, and when I go to LA or SF its like being in a different country.

Northern California is rural and these big city liberal ideals do not reflect our needs, or culture. They make ridicules rules about resources they are clueless about, and we are expected to fall in line with them.

We have no voice in our State Govt. If we did, California would not be a blue state. We are just as sick of the hippy liberal agenda as the rest of the US.

www.soj51.net...

Representation:
Northern California has 3 out of 80 seats in the California Assembly
2 out of 40 seats in the California Senate
2 out of 53 seats in the US House of Representatives
LA Basin & SF Bay Area make all our decisions (re: Fire Tax)
Regulations:
California is the 2nd worst tax state and has the highest deficit nationwide
Personal Income Tax is nation's highest
Sales Tax is highest in the nation
State Gas Taxes @ .53 cents per gallon is the highest; this is before "Cap and Trade" hikes them even further
Property Taxes are 10th highest in the nation
Business Taxes rank 3rd worst in the nation
Business climate where 5% of CA businesses LEFT the state last year (2013)
Social Services are 32% of the budget where 3 million undocumented people enjoy those services

edit on 7-12-2016 by misskat1 because: added a link

posted on Dec, 7 2016 @ 04:57 AM
link   
a reply to: TheLotLizard

I grew up in Southern California, and it might be different now, but 20 yrs ago, every large town had a corner where people who were out of work would hang out, and you could hire "day labor". Like if I was building a fence, and needed an extra hand. I could just drive up and tell them my needs and someone would step up, and he or she would go home with you for the day and work for the agreed upon wages. Im sure the need for more tax revenue stopped this practice. And I would consider it dangerous today, but in the "old days" it filled in gaps when people were out of work, and provided help to people who didnt need to hire a crew. Im sure there were illegals in the mix of available workers. But, it didnt seem to matter so much in the "olden days". lol

posted on Dec, 7 2016 @ 05:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy
a reply to: projectvxn

I had to look that up.

State law cannot preempt federal law, but states are doing it with marijuana legislation, aren't they?
Yes, it can. It is called the 10th Amendment.

posted on Dec, 7 2016 @ 05:07 AM
link   
If a State ever successfully succeeded, it would be in conjunction with other States.

No single state will ever succeed.

What I find silly is the people who want Texas to succeed call the people that want California to succeed idiots viceversa and etc. lol. If they succeeded together, they would be leaving with 25% of the nations Federal tax budget.

posted on Dec, 7 2016 @ 07:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: Xcathdra

Respectfully -

I always find it interesting when someone makes an argument against my point while demonstrating they have not spent any time researching it.

How are you arriving at your conclusion without the research?

How are questions arguments?

posted on Dec, 7 2016 @ 07:52 AM
link   
a reply to: misskat1
I think a lot of businesses leave CA because they can't meet very strict environmental laws.

What do you think?

posted on Dec, 7 2016 @ 08:29 AM
link   

I owned a restaurant for 12 yrs. I dont know about other states, but for every dollar an employee pays in taxes, the employer has to match and send to the govt. When you add in workers comp, it adds up. So an employee that you pay 10 per hour really costs 15 or more per hour. Some of my employees were part-time, and so many times I felt like the whole 15 needed to go into their pocket and not go to support a social security system that will not be there or unemployment that pays nothing. Sometimes I just paid the whole 15 under the table, just because they needed it more than I needed the deduction. And that is just employee tax. Add Business, Fed, and State taxes. It became a huge headache.

A friend used old sand from a sand blasting station, and the epa stormed his house, fined him etc etc, So, many regulations no one can keep up with all the rules. It makes good people into criminals. If we look carefully, we will probably find a rule about how to wipe.

posted on Dec, 7 2016 @ 08:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: Sublimecraft
a reply to: DBCowboy

and yet had Hillary won, California would be as quiet as a mouse and no-one would be any the wiser.

when backed into a corner, true colors shine through.

It would just be Texas making noise instead.

posted on Dec, 7 2016 @ 08:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: Annee

California people just wants more low paid illegals to do their work so they can sit in comfort and not have to clean their homes or take care of their yards. They can stretch their money that way instead of hiring contractors. or the contractors can do the work cheaper and get more work.

The average illegal immigrant in California makes way less than the average worker does there.

Have you even been to California or have you just been eating all the stereotypical bull# that the television has been spewing for years?

I have friends who live in California. This is going on there, do you live there? If you do, Do you pay attention to what is really going on or do you just ignore this kind of stuff happening..

Basically, everything is going on in CA.

Its a big, diverse state.

That is true. It is way different in Northern California than down by Los Angeles. My wife's freind's sister and brother in law live up north a bit and own a small vineyard and home up there. He is retired from Chrysler. Up there it is way different in attitude than in places like Los Angeles where my son in laws mother and family live. my son in laws mother is an immigrant who got her citizenship years ago, my son in law will probably be a citizen next year. He is a resident Alien, he has been here since he was three feet high.

The big southern cities are a nice place to live but one of the reasons is because of the lower paid illegal immigrants. They work in many restaurants and landscaping companies and all sorts of other jobs, being satisfied with the lower wage. I am not saying their presence is bad, only that people in California capitalize on their lower wages. They get paid about as much as workers do here, but the cost of living in California is a real lot higher than here so that means they are making less overall in the basis of buying power of their wages.

Around here, people are paid based on how hard they work and on whether they are reliable in a lot of jobs. If someone is a good worker, they can find work. The inequality in wages here is usually in jobs like teaching where the old teachers are getting lots and new teachers can't make a living wage. Also teachers pensions are out of line, a retired teacher gets more than a new teacher coming in. A teacher will retire with forty grand retirement while a new teacher is lucky to get thirty grand if they work full time.

It doesn't matter if you are an immigrant here, what is important is if you are willing to work. A lot of people here are spoiled too, they want a job but do not want to work. They want a cushy job.

People in some parts of California just got entitled, it is not that they are bad, just that they got so used to making a living doing something like pushing a pencil or in sales or other consumer based jobs that they have forgotten that some people work hard. There are people that work hard in Southern California too, there are construction workers and workers working on the docks and in shipping. But they are not the ones that are probably arguing this, it is the what they used to refer to as a Yuppy that is all riled up. We got them here too, but not in such a high concentration as southern California.

posted on Dec, 7 2016 @ 09:04 AM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

For some reason, reading the title of your thread make me think of Logans Run.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join