It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Disgruntled Democrats Want A Constitutional Convention To Leave The Union

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+18 more 
posted on Dec, 6 2016 @ 02:40 PM
link   
Look out. Duck. Here comes yet another whiny Democrat group of elected officials that want the Electoral College system gone.

It's about the fact that 2 national elections in 16 years has yielded a President without the majority combined national vote.

A California U.S. Congresswoman is saying we just can't have the minority ruling the majority !!

Seems they hate the "States' rule" system now and loved it when Obama won 2 elections !!

[imo]
Well maybe it's good we don't have a mob rule system that would have the big condensed Democrat voting pockets ruling the entire U.S.
[/imo]

Disgruntled Democrats Want A Constitutional Convention To Leave The Union

On Tuesday, disgruntled Democrats held a forum to discuss the possibility of replacing the Electoral College.

Rep. Zoe Lofgren (D-CA) conceded that Democrats could not get rid of the Electoral College due to the way the United States Constitution is written.

“I don’t think we can sustain our American democracy by having the majority ruled by the minority. And so the question is how to fix this since the Constitution is written in such a way that it’s almost impossible to amend,” Lofgren said.

Lofgren went on to say she is open to a Constitutional Convention, “We are three states away from calling for a Constitutional Convention. It’s something I’ve always been opposed to, …. But I’ll say because, for the second time in sixteen years, people the American voters elected did not become president. Rational people, not the fringe, are now talking about whether states could be separated from the U.S., whether we should have a Constitutional Convention. And I think as time goes on that is apt to become more the case unless we here can figure an answer to preventing the majority from being ruled by the minority.

posted on Dec, 6 2016 @ 02:47 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

I think there might be some sense to what she says(not abolishing it or anything, but comparing vote power), though I don't want to admit it. However, I oppose Democrat party rule for the fact that they act like dictators the lot of them. Limiting our rights to freedom and expression(not necessarily by law), opposing our right to defend ourselves with the use of firearms and making arguments that almost always appeal to emotion instead of logic.

They even have education/reeducation camps in the form of college campuses.
edit on 6-12-2016 by ksiezyc because: (no reason given)

+34 more 
posted on Dec, 6 2016 @ 02:48 PM
link   
It's not going to happen. They need to realize that there are better ways to win elections and that would be to go back to the Democrat ideals of old and work/represent the people, not corporate/banking interests.

The Constitution is fine. Work on the message.

posted on Dec, 6 2016 @ 02:49 PM
link   
It's gonna be flawed either way.

Sure you could have "one vote one say" but then the mass congregation of certain citizens in a minority of states rule...
On the other hand the electoral college can vote against the wishes of the people which is another flaw....

So either way people are going to complain.

posted on Dec, 6 2016 @ 02:53 PM
link   
Isn't there a Catch-22 here?
In order to get a convention, they would need to persuade the states?

+5 more 
posted on Dec, 6 2016 @ 03:05 PM
link   
If we were able to live how we want as long as we aren't hurting anybody we would be better off, we don't need a government deciding what is best for us, we don't need a government that takes our money and sends it to others for help when we need help ourselves. The government should be small and work on things that our country needs and not try to rule us. ... I've said it before, we fought a war with a government that tried to rule us, that is how the US came to be. We should remember that and realize that we are in the same situation as we were then. ....

posted on Dec, 6 2016 @ 03:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: introvert
It's not going to happen. They need to realize that there are better ways to win elections and that would be to go back to the Democrat ideals of old and work/represent the people, not corporate/banking interests.

Well posted sir!
We agree once again.
I am buying a powerball ticket.

+2 more 
posted on Dec, 6 2016 @ 03:06 PM
link   
Minority ruling majority?

They seem to forget Trump won more states than Hillary. Oh she's talking about the popular vote the one where the state of CA caused Hillary to win popular vote, and I'm sure she won't be Californian when I research her.

+5 more 
posted on Dec, 6 2016 @ 03:10 PM
link   
Democrats don't need a Constitutional Convention to leave the Union.
They just need to pony up for plane tickets elsewhere.

posted on Dec, 6 2016 @ 03:12 PM
link   
Sounds not unlike when they wanted to leave the Union as the Confederacy.

posted on Dec, 6 2016 @ 03:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: introvert

I am amazed, but I also agree with you. Not sure if I feel safe anymore. Is this the Mandela dimension?

posted on Dec, 6 2016 @ 03:17 PM
link   
If you don't like what the constitution stands for why would you go into politics?
As already stated the constitution is fine, Congress took an oath to uphold it not to try to change it. But I guess you don't get votes if you tell the truth that you want to change it.
America spoke up and the Democrats don't like be told what to do but don't mind telling us what to do. Well both sides like to tell us what to do, we don't need to be told what to do, we need them, all of them to do what we want, that is their job after all.

posted on Dec, 6 2016 @ 03:18 PM
link   
Try running anyone BUT Hillary next time.

Bernie could've won but we all know what happened there.

Madame Presidente.

posted on Dec, 6 2016 @ 03:19 PM
link   
Ahh , I am thoroughly enjoying my birthday presents
1) Trump Elected
2) The entire Democratic Party gone insane and completely worthless.
the other 2 yet to come....

posted on Dec, 6 2016 @ 03:20 PM
link   
You would think that after the last few elections these people would have figured out that the way to win an election is to have somebody worth voting for.

posted on Dec, 6 2016 @ 03:20 PM
link   
Ya Goofed.

Deal with it.

+2 more 
posted on Dec, 6 2016 @ 03:21 PM
link   
a reply to: introvert

I don't know... the Democrat ideals of old would be supporting slavery and blocking women's suffrage.

The party seems to change face every few decades. We've already seen what the newest iteration is going to be with the Social Justice movement, and it's only going to drive more people to alternative/third-party government.

The implosion of the "new" Democratic Party will probably be one of the best things to happen to America.

edit on 6-12-2016 by Konduit because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2016 @ 03:22 PM
link   

If it gets three dumb democrats state to come along and sign onto the constitutional convention, than I say great! Let's have the convention, once it starts we just ignore them while the big kids talks.

posted on Dec, 6 2016 @ 03:23 PM
link   

Let us not forget when Obama won, how many Republicans called for secession? How short of memory of we. Governor Perry of Texas, Sanford of South Carolina? Secessionist movements? The tea parties? This time it's just switched around.

Every election year, there will be a segment of want side that wants to pack their toys and leave because things didn't go their way.

Texas V. White 1869. The matter has been settled.

+10 more 
posted on Dec, 6 2016 @ 03:27 PM
link   
For the millionth time.

HILLARY DID NOT GET A MAJORITY.

the majority, over half of American voters, did not vote for her.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join