It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Breaking: huge Meteor explodes over Russia

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 7 2016 @ 01:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: annoyedpharmacist
Does every driver have dash cam over there????

in russia you are on your own if in a auto accident.
www.wired.com...
understandrussia.com...

and here in calif we have illegals now driving on our streets.
yes i have a dash cam and its saved me money already after getting hit by a driver who did not even speak English.
edit on 7-12-2016 by ANNED because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 7 2016 @ 10:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: charlyv
There is a significant possibility that this was an "Earth Grazer". These are such low angle, high velocity and high altitude bolides that skip off the top of the atmosphere and head right back out in space. Trouble with these things, is they have most likely been captured by Earth gravity, and will come back at a much steeper angle. We did not get to see if the huge burst of light was a fragmentation event, and we certainly see the object heading out of view.

Agreed, that my my thought as well

posted on Dec, 7 2016 @ 11:22 AM
link   
a reply to: NerdGoddess

They say seeing is believing and you cannot say it was not your fault when the video evidence clearly shows it otherwise. It only become common sense to install one. Maybe you'll catch something too! Isn't Ohio a black triangle UFO hotspot? So it may not be a meteor but just as interesting!

As far as bombing goes... I think the US keeps a pretty good eye on Russian sites and likewise they on ours. Most of NORAD is set up to track ICBMs which travel a lot slower than a meteor so they would know if it was a missile launch.

The scary idea is Kim Jong Un being paranoid and trigger happy... what would he do (order) if he came to the conclusion he was under attack? Even if only by a meteor.

posted on Dec, 8 2016 @ 08:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse
Strange how the last two bigger meteors that blew up above Russia were not spotted and noted on Space weather beforehand. Neither was the bigger one down in South America.

Of course, spotting dark rocks against a dark background is quite difficult. The size of object, being fairly small, in this case, also makes it harder.

And even if such an object is spotted, AFAIK it takes multiple observations to work out the orbital track and calculate that it will hit us.

originally posted by: charlyv
There is a significant possibility that this was an "Earth Grazer". These are such low angle, high velocity and high altitude bolides that skip off the top of the atmosphere and head right back out in space. Trouble with these things, is they have most likely been captured by Earth gravity, and will come back at a much steeper angle. We did not get to see if the huge burst of light was a fragmentation event, and we certainly see the object heading out of view.

Just a guess, but if it were going fast enough to escape the atmosphere, wouldn't the glow at the end still look like hot plasma, rather than just glowing like a lump of very hot rock?

Clarification - if it were escaping, wouldn't a smaller/dimmer white glow occur, from upper atmosphere ram heating, vs orange/red glow of heat suggesting it had slowed?
edit on 8-12-2016 by apex because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 8 2016 @ 12:27 PM
link   
a reply to: apex

Just a guess, but if it were going fast enough to escape the atmosphere, wouldn't the glow at the end still look like hot plasma, rather than just glowing like a lump of very hot rock? Clarification - if it were escaping, wouldn't a smaller/dimmer white glow occur, from upper atmosphere ram heating, vs orange/red glow of heat suggesting it had slowed?

I asked a similar question in another thread because I have a hard time getting my brain to connect with my eyes.

Example.

Ever play a video game or see a movie, where the space ship is shooting through space at warp speed? My question is, if those tiny lights that are whizzing by, were as close as they appear, they are either the size of dust particles, or they are millions of miles away in space.

If they are huge objects far away, how can they look like dust particles whizzing by?

Do you understand what I am asking?

I see these pictures and videos of objects in space that are supposed to be the size of a planet, yet in the picture it looks like you could hold the object in your hand. If they show an zoomed in picture of the object, unless it is being taken from the surface, you are still just looking at a zoom of the same picture. Right?

I don't know why I am having such a problem figuring this out in my mind's eye.

edit on 8-12-2016 by NightSkyeB4Dawn because: Word edit.

posted on Dec, 8 2016 @ 01:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: IkNOwSTuff

originally posted by: cynicalheathen
Russia needs to remove the large meteorite magnet they installed in Siberia...

Or maybe they should leave it there, how feckin lucky are we all that for some reason all these meteors seem to explode over fairly empty parts of Russia.

Im sure theres a decent Conspiracy there Im just to tired to think of 1

Perhaps they do land everywhere, but we just don't notice them. Scientists have been able to find particles of cosmic dust in rooftop rainwater gutters.

From personal experience, I've known a couple of times when rooftop slate tiles on our roof have been hit with something so hard that I could hear the tile crack and slide down the roof alond with something else. Though thevonly thing we found was a reddish orange stone with little black pockmarks.

posted on Dec, 8 2016 @ 01:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: stormcell

originally posted by: IkNOwSTuff

originally posted by: cynicalheathen
Russia needs to remove the large meteorite magnet they installed in Siberia...

Or maybe they should leave it there, how feckin lucky are we all that for some reason all these meteors seem to explode over fairly empty parts of Russia.

Im sure theres a decent Conspiracy there Im just to tired to think of 1

Perhaps they do land everywhere, but we just don't notice them. Scientists have been able to find particles of cosmic dust in rooftop rainwater gutters.

From personal experience, I've known a couple of times when rooftop slate tiles on our roof have been hit with something so hard that I could hear the tile crack and slide down the roof alond with something else. Though thevonly thing we found was a reddish orange stone with little black pockmarks.

The odds of your roof being hit by a meteorite once is astronomical. Twice is just not going to happen.

Think of it this way. There is only one record of a meteorite hitting someone or something near someone in all of recorded history.

posted on Dec, 8 2016 @ 09:19 PM
link   
Khakassia
sorry GRP... not gdp

posted on Dec, 8 2016 @ 10:15 PM
link   
I have 18 years working 15-16 shifts per month, every second night saw several times meteors are burned without sound faster than I could reach out and turn on the camera in the phone. I took not job is New Year's Eve was a lot Fireworks but it's
not fireworks and I did not see it through the eyes, just pictured. I was on the 9th floor the lights on the other side of the kama about 1.7-2 km

posted on Dec, 8 2016 @ 10:27 PM
link   
The Russian sunken Siberian Cauldrons successfully save our sorry asses again!

Thanks ancient technologically advanced ancestors, we will never forget you!

posted on Dec, 8 2016 @ 10:29 PM
link   
a reply to: apex

Just a guess, but if it were going fast enough to escape the atmosphere, wouldn't the glow at the end still look like hot plasma, rather than just glowing like a lump of very hot rock? Clarification - if it were escaping, wouldn't a smaller/dimmer white glow occur, from upper atmosphere ram heating, vs orange/red glow of heat suggesting it had slowed?

The only source of glow is ablation due to atmospheric friction. Remove the friction, and it dims down the same way as when it initially entered. The surface of the bolide, while molten, is all that is glowing anyway, since internally it is near the same temperature as it was in space.

posted on Dec, 8 2016 @ 10:50 PM
link   
a reply to: 3danimator2014

Think of it this way. There is only one record of a meteorite hitting someone or something near someone in all of recorded history.

Not really true. Nakla killed a dog, Claxton hit a mailbox, Peekskill hit the trunk of a car, Tunguska killed 2 men and hundreds of reindeer, Sylacauga hit Ann Hodges in Alabama, ParkForest hit homes and a fire station... and many more.

Last year, in India, a meteorite hit a building which shattered window panes, killing a bus driver. This one is suspect, as NASA said the size of the meteorite found could not have caused the destruction, but the main mass was never found.

Then of course there is Chelyabinsk, which was an airburst, injuring hundreds by shattered glass, a collapsed roof and building debris.

edit on 8-12-2016 by charlyv because: content

posted on Dec, 8 2016 @ 11:47 PM
link   

posted on Dec, 9 2016 @ 02:43 AM
link   
m.nat-geo.ru... meteorite fell in Sayanogorsk area approximately at 18:37 (14:37 MSK) in the atmosphere to break into small pieces. The inhabitants of Khakassia and the south of Krasnoyarsk region told about an unusual glow of the sky at that moment. Heavenly body exploded in the atmosphere could be seen three flashes and heard the roar. According to scientists, the expedition to the site of the fall will not be organized.

posted on Dec, 10 2016 @ 01:37 AM
link   
a reply to: charlyv you pay attention Chuchan one to one describes a nuclear blast en.wikipedia.org... Tunguska 2 brother in 30 km from the epicenter or...ground zero?

posted on Dec, 10 2016 @ 01:53 AM
link   
I have a feeling there's more Meteorite coming.

posted on Dec, 10 2016 @ 03:13 AM
link   
shouldn't the word "huge" constitute something that actually hits the ground?

posted on Dec, 10 2016 @ 05:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: HeywoodFloyd
a reply to: NerdGoddess

it's way more scary that these big Space Agencies - NASA, ESA, etc. - with $ billions of funding each year, and with all those satellites up in space and super-powerful telescopes, are UNABLE to see these huge rocks coming, and unable to warn of their approaching.

(or... they see them, but they don't tell anybody - and this is even more scary...)

- note:
I am referring especially to the HUGE meteorite that crashed in Russia in 2013, that NASA did not see coming

and they did not see this one, either.

Thing is, as asteroids go, neither this event, the 2013 Chelyabinsk event, or the asteroid responsible for the 2007 Carnacas event are all that big. The one for the current event is being estimated at 10-15 meters across, Chelyabinsk at roughly 20 meters, and Carancas at only 3 meters.

That's not very big, especially compared to space. And while Earth-crossing asteroids that size have been discovered in the past, there's reason to expect that those discoveries are the exception rather than the rule. From the NASA office responsible for tracking near-Earth asteroids:

With more than 90 percent of NEOs larger than 3,000 feet (1 kilometer) already discovered, NASA is now focused on finding objects that are slightly bigger than a football field—450 feet (140 meters) or larger. In 2005, NASA was tasked with finding 90 percent of this class of NEOs by the end of 2020. NASA-funded surveys have detected an estimated 25 percent of these mid-sized but still potentially hazardous objects to date.

At the moment, experts are estimating that we've only identified 25 percent of mid-sized - defined as 140 meters or larger - asteroids. It stands to reason that there are A LOT of smaller asteroids like the one responsible for this event that we don't know about and won't know about for some time.

posted on Dec, 10 2016 @ 11:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: JesusXst
I have a feeling there's more Meteorite coming.

I think you are right. Though it is a yearly event, I think this year will be probably a little more intense.

Crazy thing is 2 days before BP Earth, put up this video, I had a dream about an intense meteor shower that looked like something from the video Evacuate Earth. In my dream, I stood on the porch of my house with my mother, watching the sky fill with the falling meteor. I was not afraid. We were in awe, and concerned about the rest of our family which I knew for some reason were trying to make their way to my house.

Just a weird coincidence. I am not psychic and I don't have a history of prophetic dreams. Just vivid ones.

www.youtube.com...

posted on Dec, 13 2016 @ 06:13 PM
link   
well, this today's article by The Guardian ties well in the meteorites/comet topics:

"Earth woefully unprepared for surprise comet or asteroid, Nasa scientist warns"

Humans are woefully unprepared for a surprise asteroid or comet, a Nasa scientist warned on Monday, at a presentation with nuclear scientists into how humans might deflect cosmic dangers hurtling toward Earth.

“The biggest problem, basically, is there’s not a hell of a lot we can do about it at the moment,” said Dr Joseph Nuth, a researcher with Nasa’s Goddard Space Flight Center.

link: The Guardian - article

--------------------------------

Yeah, I forgot, The Guardian is a Fake News outlet,
and it has been hacked by the Russians.

nevermind.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join