It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

Breaking: huge Meteor explodes over Russia

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+19 more 
posted on Dec, 6 2016 @ 01:06 PM
link   
a huge meteor exploded just a few hours ago over Siberia.

People in the Republic of Khakassia in southwest Siberia (Russia) witnessed a large fireball exploding in the sky on Tuesday, which briefly made the evening as bright as the day. Some even managed to catch the event on camera. “At first, I couldn’t understand what’s going on.

There was a sudden luminescence. It wasn’t as light as day, but still quite bright,” witness Olga Sagalakova told Russia Today. “We looked at the mountain near us… and there was huge meteor flying above it. It had a tail. Frankly, I was scared. I thought that it was a bomb,” she said.

Meteor over Siberia - Russia Today - Breaking News article

video:

impressive.

It reminds me of the huge meteorite which exploded in Russia back in February 2013.

more to follow.

edit on 6-12-2016 by HeywoodFloyd because: add info

+34 more 
posted on Dec, 6 2016 @ 01:09 PM
link   
Russia needs to remove the large meteorite magnet they installed in Siberia...

posted on Dec, 6 2016 @ 01:09 PM
link   
additional information:

“[The meteor] was several times smaller than the one over Chelyabinsk, but its fragments may be found,” commented Viktor Grokhovsky, professor at the Ural Federal University. “Determining where they landed would require accurate calculation of its path. This may take a day or so.”

"It was probably no more than 10 to 15 meters in diameter, and was made of stone not iron," Natan Eysmont from the Russian Space Research Institute told TASS news agency. "Such meteors, unless they enter the atmosphere at a very sharp angle, are not dangerous."

Russia Today - Meteor newscast:

I will update here and in the OP with videos et al. as soon as more information are available.

edit on 6-12-2016 by HeywoodFloyd because: add info

+2 more 
posted on Dec, 6 2016 @ 01:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: cynicalheathen
Russia needs to remove the large meteorite magnet they installed in Siberia...

Or maybe they should leave it there, how feckin lucky are we all that for some reason all these meteors seem to explode over fairly empty parts of Russia.

Im sure theres a decent Conspiracy there Im just to tired to think of 1

posted on Dec, 6 2016 @ 01:20 PM
link   
Wow that was bright!

The RT has a vid up on their site that shows a dashcam view. The person is driving along in perfect darkness, then the sky lights up, then you see the meteor-fireball fly by.

That seems out of order! But the entire sky lights up. You can see clouds, the road, other cars, just like somebody flicked a switch.

Crazy cool and pretty scary at the same time.

[ETA: Hey imbedded the vid! That is it]
edit on 6-12-2016 by TEOTWAWKIAIFF because: clarity

posted on Dec, 6 2016 @ 01:22 PM
link   
its always the ones you cant see...

posted on Dec, 6 2016 @ 01:26 PM
link   
a reply to: HeywoodFloyd

Nice find.

On the dashcam vid it looks like the sky is lighting up ahead of the meteor, is that normal?

posted on Dec, 6 2016 @ 01:27 PM
link   
I thought RT was a fake news site?

posted on Dec, 6 2016 @ 01:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: network dude

There's a difference between being fake news and being a Russian, state sponsored mouthpiece....

posted on Dec, 6 2016 @ 01:33 PM
link   

Great video. Wow that's bright.

Meteorite or the return of Krampus?

posted on Dec, 6 2016 @ 01:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: djz3ro

Nice find.

On the dashcam vid it looks like the sky is lighting up ahead of the meteor, is that normal?

The meteor would begin to light up in the atmosphere before it reaches the point of view of the camera. Therefor the light and later the meteor which is not as fast as light.

+14 more 
posted on Dec, 6 2016 @ 01:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: network dude

the Fake News outlets are:

CNN
ABC
MSNBC
New York Times
Washington Post
BBC
Fox News

posted on Dec, 6 2016 @ 01:41 PM
link   
:-) fully agree !!! just an matter of time now that thats the only "newschannels") that remains....a reply to: HeywoodFloyd

edit on 6-12-2016 by ressiv because: (no reason given)

edit on 6-12-2016 by ressiv because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2016 @ 01:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: IkNOwSTuff
how feckin lucky are we all that for some reason all these meteors seem to explode over fairly empty parts of Russia.

Maybe ... that's why nobody 'lives' there anymore.

Here's your conspiracy theory.

posted on Dec, 6 2016 @ 01:46 PM
link   
Does every driver have dash cam over there????

posted on Dec, 6 2016 @ 01:52 PM
link   
I wonder how this Russian, 'expert' came with the, "15 metres diameter" figure, and doesn't seem to have any substantial sonic boom.
It seemed quite slow too, but then so also did the 2013 one.
As for RT being a fake site, not really. It may do some propaganda as all other TV sites do, but they do have some in-depth programming forbye.

posted on Dec, 6 2016 @ 01:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: annoyedpharmacist

The accident rate is ridiculous. Then they end up in court where they argue to death. Once they started putting dashcams in all that litigation disappeared. So, if you want insurance you get a dashcam. So, yeah, pretty much everybody has one now.

posted on Dec, 6 2016 @ 01:54 PM
link   
Seriously, is it me or does that part of the world see a lot of meteorlogical activity and why?

posted on Dec, 6 2016 @ 01:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: Arnie123
Seriously, is it me or does that part of the world see a lot of meteorlogical activity and why?

either that or they record the phenomenon more than others

posted on Dec, 6 2016 @ 02:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: annoyedpharmacist

That will soon be a convention in most cars. Insurers here are starting to lower premiums if there is one fitted.

new topics

<<   2  3 >>

join