It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Where dp we go when we sleep?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 27 2005 @ 12:49 AM
link   
I don't know about anybody else, but I have this problem where most of the time when I go to sleep, although my hearing is perfectly fine, I cannot hear alarm clocks, door knocks, phone ringing, even a smoke detector, which is very loud.

I don't hear anything at all around my body while I am asleep, unless I am already about to wake up on my own.

I wonder if it is because my spirit or soul or whatever you want to call it, really does leave and travel around, so it is not present to hear those sounds. Then when I do wake up, I have the sense that I had very real dreams, but it's just a fleeting memory, then I can't remember at all. Like maybe my spirit came rushing back too fast.....I don't know.

Does anyone else have similar experiences?

posted on Jan, 27 2005 @ 03:52 AM
link   
Or it could just be that your a very heavy sleeper.

posted on Jan, 27 2005 @ 03:59 AM
link   
You're a heavy sleeper. I'm the same way. It is normal to not remember your dreams very clearly at first, unless you wake up abrubtly in the sleep stage in which you are having the dream ( I believe its the REM stage?). Nothing paranormal about it.

posted on Jan, 27 2005 @ 12:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by CyberKat
I don't know about anybody else, but I have this problem where most of the time when I go to sleep, although my hearing is perfectly fine, I cannot hear alarm clocks, door knocks, phone ringing, even a smoke detector, which is very loud.

Wish I could sleep that soundly. I'm woken up every morning by my mom getting my little sister up for school in the room across the hall.

A up/downside to being a light sleeper is that I usually remember at least 2-3 dreams a night.

posted on Jan, 27 2005 @ 02:16 PM
link   
There's no difference between sleep and astral projection. Except for your conscious mind being shut down. So there is definately something paranormal going on everynight IMO.

posted on Jan, 29 2005 @ 12:07 AM
link   
I have a theory on this, researched a little with lucid dreaming. Dreams can be one of two things, and it depends on the mind's state upon falling asleep. On one hand, it can be the generally accepted psychological theory that it's the brain's time to sort out the information absorbed during the previous waking period. In this event, you'd just be a very heavy sleeper.

On the other hand, I believe that at times, the spirit does actually travel to the otherworld, or astral plane (different names, same thing). In the event of travel to the otherworld, there is still a link to the body, and you can be awakened with a rather abrupt shot back from the otherworld, however this is often hindered if you're a deep sleeper. Otherworldly travel is not uncommon in dreams, and often, it's the only way people are able to make it to the otherworld. The otherworld is a realm that often seems to parallel our own, insofar as perception of that world is highly subjective to one's own perception. Vivid dreams are not uncommon while having an otherworldly experience during sleep.

My lucid dreaming experiments come into play with the rememberance of such experiences. In lucid dreaming, you're able to awaken the consious mind without awakening the body, thereby being able to stay in either your dream or the otherworld, yet still mentally functioning as though you were awake.

A good tutorial on the basics of lucid dreaming can be found here: www.lucidity.com...

Perhaps if you tried a little lucid dreaming on your own, you could better explain the dreams or travels that keep you so far from the waking state, and possibly help you to be a little more observant of things in the waking world that you might want to hear, such as an alarm clock or fire alarm.

posted on Jan, 29 2005 @ 03:10 AM
link   
you're in your subconcious

when i dream, semi-often perhaps a few times a week that i remember, i have almost complete control, note these are dreams when i'm fully asleep, in the middle of the night, after i've been asleep for a few hours, and before i wake up, i guess its just my mind becoming restless with the lack of activity, i ocasionally wake up from the dreams, after a sudden body movement, like a kick or sit up, wake up calm and collected and go back to sleep....

^i'm pretty sure its just your subconcious, not an asteral plane
...but interesting theory...

posted on Jan, 29 2005 @ 03:54 AM
link   
Most of us go to bed......
But seriously tho, you think your soul is out wandering about???
My dog, when he was a puppy, used to dream about eating and drinking. Thats pretty much all he done in his wake-time. Not much running, and no barking.
A while later, when he dreamt, he was running all the time, and stopped the eating/drinking motions, presumably as it was now mundane. He had new things to dream about.
Another while later, after he had learnt to bark and growl, they would show up in his dreams.
Of course, he might be dreaming he's on stage, singing and dancing with Fred Astaire, but i doubt that *that* idea has entered his psyche, so i can surmise he's dreaming about chasing squirrels, play-fighting with our other dog, and shouting at dogs in the street: pretty much what he does in his day to day.
Funny thing is, i see all the time how current events, life experiences, and external stimuli affect my thoughts while im asleep, in much the same way his does.
I'm pretty baffled as to how you concluded it was your soul that was responsible....

posted on Jan, 29 2005 @ 04:34 PM
link   
You're able to know what your dog is dreaming about HOW exactly?

posted on Jan, 29 2005 @ 08:20 PM
link   
obsidian468, thanks for telling me what lucid dreaming is, ill check out that link later, so thats what i've been happening through out my life. I mean I always know I'm dreaming, but sometimes I let it happen, unless if its a nightmare. I always remember my dreams too, which is normal right?

The most recent strange lucid dream i had was last year, and it was an exact replica of my room, except for one thing the hooded people (one redish and one yellowish, like a dirty color) next to me, and me not being able to move my body or wake up. (As wrong as this sounds)they touch me, well my chest, and i woke up all freakin out and sweaty.

Hey I wonder if you can astral travel when your a sleep, and wake up and consiously never noticed it happen, but subconsiously you do.

[edit on 29-1-2005 by skyblueff0]

posted on Jan, 29 2005 @ 09:44 PM
link   
Hello everyone:

When I was a child of about 7 yrs old I used to have this
dreams or nightmares all the time for about a year.
In the dreams I was a adult in a ship made of wood with
a crew of about a 100 men. The part of this dream I allways
remember the most is been ina storm and me seen rocks up
ahead and me screeming...becareful with the rocks!!! and lots
of screeming and noise and me drowning in war waters.

So my belive is that that dreams and some nightmares can be soul
travel or may be past lives memories.

posted on Jan, 30 2005 @ 11:00 AM
link   
Well, when we sleep, the physical body ....
Hold on while I look for this. I just the other day had gotten something on this from them...

I'm going to go look for a post I psoted as I was getting it. I'll copy/paist. (Oh, I should say...at times it is ME who is being talked to, and what is said can only be aplied to me personaly. But then there are times when the words are spoken about all of us.)

By dreams. Be very sure that, when the body is asleep, the spirit
enjoys the use of faculties of which he is unconscious while his body
is awake. He remembers the past, and sometimes foresees the future:
it acquires more power, and is able to enter into communication with
other spirits, either in this world or in some other.

"You often say, 'I have had a strange dream, a frightful dream,
without any likeness to reality' You are mistaken in thinking it to
be so; for it is often a reminiscence of places and things which you
have seen in the past, or a foresight of those which you will see in
another existence, or in this one at some future time. The body being
torpid, the spirit tries to break its chain, and seeks, in the past
or in the future, for the means of doing so. "Poor human beings! how
little do you know of the commonest phenomena of your life! You fancy
yourselves to be very learned, and you are puzzled by the most
ordinary things. To questions that any child might ask, 'What do we
do when we are asleep?' 'What are dreams?' you are incapable of
replying.

Sleep effects a partial freeing of the soul from the body. When you
sleep, your spirit is, for the time being, in the state in which you
will be after your death. The spirits who at death are promptly freed
from matter are those who, during their life, have had what may be
called intelligent sleep. Such persons, when they sleep, regain the
society of other spirits superior to themselves. They go about with
them, conversing with them, and gaining instruction from them; they
even work, in the spirit-world, at undertakings which, on dying, they
find already begun or completed. From this you see how little death
should be dreaded, since, according to the saying of St. Paul,
you 'die daily.'

(these are not my words)
Angela

Anyway - we are able to precieve and go far when sleeping, more so than in a waking state - yes. As far as not hearing things around your physical body - for me (and I am speaking about waking hours) - it seems like I can be tuned into this world 90% and not precieve the other world at all. But when I precieving the other world (which never gets so high as 90% while awake), it is like I'm between radio stations. I'm not safe to drive, I don't follow conversations very well - I bearly grasp intellectual things going on around me. I'm more on 'robot mode' and functioning very little here. I still hear things though, it just seems that the things I hear or see are very less important and meaningful than usual.

posted on Jan, 30 2005 @ 11:29 AM
link   
I don't know where we go when we sleep but I know that my husband is a VERY sound sleeper and to wake him up is almost like trying to wake the dead!

I am a light sleeper and have terrible bouts of sleep paralysis. It's always just as I am starting to go to fall asleep and I have 2-3 incidents per night. I can hear everything that is going on in the room and can follow whatever TV show is on at the time but I cannot move. Sometimes I'm very brave and try to have an out of body experience (I have not been successful), occassionally I try to turn it into a lucid dream, but most of the time I just panic and try to pull myself out if it as quickly as possible.

I don't know where we go when we sleep but it's pretty interesting to think about!

Jemison

posted on Jan, 30 2005 @ 11:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jemison
I can hear everything that is going on in the room and can follow whatever TV show is on at the time but I cannot move. Sometimes I'm very brave and try to have an out of body experience (I have not been successful), occassionally I try to turn it into a lucid dream, but most of the time I just panic and try to pull myself out if it as quickly as possible.
Jemison

Well don't panic. Focus one ONE thing. A finger. Focus on moving your finger. Ever look up 'the old hag syndrom'?

posted on Jan, 31 2005 @ 11:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by AngelaLadyS
But when I precieving the other world, it is like I'm between radio stations.

Woohoo. I get this alot. Although its not necessarily 'the other world' but more like 'the possible future'. When it happens during the waking state, I seem to acknowledge it better, assimilating it into my system for reference.

posted on Jan, 31 2005 @ 12:03 PM
link   
I dream every single night and can remember a good majority to almost the entire dream. I am also a very sound sleeper. I normally go to sleep very quickly, after saying my prayers and giving all my worries to God, because I believe I shouldn't worry at night. I wake up every morning relaxed and refreshed. Many of my coworkers always ask me how I can be so cheerful so early in the morning. I can however, wake up very quickly when certain things happen though. If my wife touches me or calls my name in a particular way, or if one of our daughters cry out like they're in pain, or if I hear certain sounds that would normally be disturbing to hear at night. These will bring me back to the waking world instantly. When these happen there also seems to be a hightened sence of reality like adreniline pumping through my system. But occasionally I have had similar occurances where my alarm clock has gone off and I haven't heard anything. Yet I can remember more vividily than normal every aspect of the dream I had just prior to waking, including conversations word for word.

Phae

posted on Feb, 3 2005 @ 09:36 PM
link   
I hear what is going on around my body in my dreams. I can decide if I need to wake up or not, as I did when someone was trying to break in my house. Actually it seems as if I can hear things well beyond my normal physical range. I have heard conversations outside of my house.

[edit on 3-2-2005 by Lucidious]

top topics

join