It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Type 1 Diabetes Breakthrough with Artemisinin Treatment

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 6 2016 @ 10:46 AM
link   
This is exciting news for anyone suffering from Type 1 diabetes -- currently treatable, but not curable -- and those who love them! Not much to discuss I guess, but I thought it was worth posting for information purposes.

Researchers have announced that FDA-approved artemisinins, used for decades to treat malaria, offer a completely new therapy for type 1 diabetes.

It promises to be a simple and elegant strategy to heal diabetes type 1: Replacing the destroyed beta-cells in the bodies of patients with newly-produced insulin-secreting cells.

To actually HEAL -- not just treat!!! At this point, the tests/studies have only been conducted on animals, but it is thought the same effect will be found in humans:

As the molecular targets for artemisinins in fish, rodents and humans are very similar, chances are high that the effect on alpha cells will also occur in humans. “Obviously, the long term effect of artemisinins needs to be tested,” says Stefan Kubicek. “Especially the regenerative capacity of human alpha cells is yet unknown.

Furthermore, the new beta cells must be protected from the immune system. But we are confident that the discovery of artemisinins and their mode of action can form the foundation for a completely new therapy of type 1 diabetes.”

So further testing and study is required, and there appears to be some kinks to work out, but it's promising nevertheless. So here's me keeping my fingers and toes crossed!

A link to the study: Artemisinins Target GABAA Receptor Signaling and Impair α Cell Identity

posted on Dec, 6 2016 @ 10:54 AM
link   
This is promising, I see the word cure in there. I doubt if they will accept that medicine in the USA, curing a disease doesn't create nearly enough health care jobs nor does it create steady income for Pharma companies. The FDA will not allow it.

posted on Dec, 6 2016 @ 10:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: Boadicea
This is exciting news for anyone suffering from Type 1 diabetes -- currently treatable, but not curable -- and those who love them! Not much to discuss I guess, but I thought it was worth posting for information purposes.

Researchers have announced that FDA-approved artemisinins, used for decades to treat malaria, offer a completely new therapy for type 1 diabetes.

It promises to be a simple and elegant strategy to heal diabetes type 1: Replacing the destroyed beta-cells in the bodies of patients with newly-produced insulin-secreting cells.

To actually HEAL -- not just treat!!! At this point, the tests/studies have only been conducted on animals, but it is thought the same effect will be found in humans:

As the molecular targets for artemisinins in fish, rodents and humans are very similar, chances are high that the effect on alpha cells will also occur in humans. “Obviously, the long term effect of artemisinins needs to be tested,” says Stefan Kubicek. “Especially the regenerative capacity of human alpha cells is yet unknown.

Furthermore, the new beta cells must be protected from the immune system. But we are confident that the discovery of artemisinins and their mode of action can form the foundation for a completely new therapy of type 1 diabetes.”

So further testing and study is required, and there appears to be some kinks to work out, but it's promising nevertheless. So here's me keeping my fingers and toes crossed!

A link to the study: Artemisinins Target GABAA Receptor Signaling and Impair α Cell Identity

Many years ago I worked as a chef in a resteraunt and the pot washer was a guy in his early 40's. He was a doctor before he became a potwasher but after he claimed that T1 diabetes was curable and wrote a paper on it strange things started to happen in his life. After a faultless career he started recieving complaints of malpractice, was refused promotions he was expecting and started to feel parculiar and that people were giving him drugs without his consent.

to cut a long story short he had a nervous breakdown and was no longer allowed to practice medicene and given loads of anti psycotics that he swore we what was making him ill.

He was convinced that it was all to do with his cure and that they wanted to bury him so they could keep on selling the drugs as opposed to healing the patients. He was not making stuff up either as I cheched it out, he really was a doctor and he even bought the paper in to show me(I could not understand a word of it) and lots of letters from other respected doctors telling him he was wrong but not saying why.

I always thought that one day they would "discover" this and that it is a terrible shame what they did to him to protect thier interests.

posted on Dec, 6 2016 @ 10:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse
This is promising, I see the word cure in there.

Yes, it was seeing "cure" that got me excited! One branch of my family is plagued with Type I diabetes, and it's heartwrenching to watch them suffer -- especially the kids.

I doubt if they will accept that medicine in the USA, curing a disease doesn't create nearly enough health care jobs nor does it create steady income for Pharma companies. The FDA will not allow it.

Sadly, I tend to agree... but I also believe in miracles. Since the medicine is already FDA-approved, I'm hopeful that no one can stuff this cat back in the bag!

posted on Dec, 6 2016 @ 11:03 AM
link   
Who cares? Instead of crossing fingers and waiting I'd use my hands to process the herb - Sweet Annie, Sweet Wormwood (Artemisia annua) This is where artemisinin comes from. They will find some risk. They can't make huge money on herbal diabetes cure.

posted on Dec, 6 2016 @ 11:06 AM
link   
a reply to: nonspecific

That must have been rather disturbing to see. Especially if you considered him a friend. It's disturbing just to hear! I hate to think that kind of crap actually goes on, but the older I get, the more I realize that even worse happens. It's truly despicable the depths of depravity that some people will go...

posted on Dec, 6 2016 @ 11:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: PapagiorgioCZ
Who cares? Instead of crossing fingers and waiting, I'd use my hands to process the herb...

If it were me suffering with Type I diabetes, that's exactly what I would do!

- Sweet Annie, Sweet Wormwood (Artemisia annua) This is where artemisinin comes from.

I wasn't sure about that, but I knew the Latin name for wormwood, and I figured as much.

They will find some risk. They can't make huge money on herbal diabetes cure.

Can't argue with that! But since it is already FDA approved, it will be almost impossible to completely bury. So, again, here's me keeping my fingers crossed...

ETA: I just did a little checking, and wormwood is being suggested for Type 2 diabetes already (by some natural remedy proponents), but I don't see any suggestions for Type I...
edit on 6-12-2016 by Boadicea because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2016 @ 11:20 AM
link   
The guy who invented this probably will be found shot in the head with some needles stuffed down his throat and all his notes will be missing

Or on further tests it will turn out it doesn’t work

Oh Well we still have the billion dollar diabetes maintenance industry to take car of us

edit on 6-12-2016 by Willtell because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2016 @ 11:25 AM
link   

Who cares? Instead of crossing fingers and waiting I'd use my hands to process the herb - Sweet Annie, Sweet Wormwood (Artemisia annua) This is where artemisinin comes from. They will find some risk. They can't make huge money on herbal diabetes cure.

The price of the herbs and even the supplements are not that bad. I don't know much about the dosing or the exact way it is used. dosage would be important to know. Wormwood has been a medicine for thousands of years. I think this new discovery is just that someone figured out what they were saying in the old texts. The Chinese have been using these plants for a long time and Americans have been suckered into believing modern medicine is the only way. A lot of the treatments they used to use years ago work better than the medicines they make, lots less side effects and they actually fix the problem sometimes.

Wormwood is kind of bad for me from what I have read. I shouldn't use it is what I see from information in my genetics. But think over what I am about to say. Maybe the real reason could be related to this article. I have hypoglycemia, had it all my life. I make too much insulin and excrete too much stuff in my urine. A glass of juice gets me all hyped up, then it causes a crash an hour or so later. Spinny head as my body dumps chemistry in to fire up the body to start using ketones to fuel it. I would say that this property of wormwood in the article would be bad for me even though it is not the exact reason I shouldn't take it because of my genetics.

Everything is related, figuring out how is sometimes a challenge.

posted on Dec, 6 2016 @ 11:28 AM
link   
a reply to: Boadicea

Great news! We have to wait for the clinical trials now hoping it will work as well with humans. They will also have to assess the long term use safety and make sure the new Beta cells are protected from the immune system. Scientists are the best!

This is being trialed in Europe, where all countries have socialized health care, which means we don't even think about costs -or Big Pharma- like you guys do in the US (unfortunately).

Thank you for sharing, Bo!

Artemisin is actually semi-synthetic. Also, it's not soluble so making an infusion of Artemisia Annua will not have any pharmacological effects in your body. ( LINK )

posted on Dec, 6 2016 @ 11:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: Agartha

Great news! We have to wait for the clinical trials now hoping it will work as well with humans. They will also have to assess the long term use safety and make sure the new Beta cells are protected from the immune system. Scientists are the best!

Can you imagine how exciting it must have been for the scientists? It's gotta be pretty thrilling to find something like this. Three cheers for medical researchers!!!

This is being trialed in Europe, where all countries have socialized health care, which means we don't even think about costs -or Big Pharma- like you guys do in the US (unfortunately).

I was more than a little relieved to see that the research came from Europe, rather than here, just because I don't trust our profit-driven Big Pharma. And it's encouraging that the substance is already FDA-approved (for malaria), so hopefully the process to expand approved uses will be fairly quick and painless -- once their European counterparts finish the job!

Thank you for sharing, Bo!

You're very welcome -- and thank you for weighing in. I always appreciate your insight!

Artemisin... it's not soluble so making an infusion of Artemisia Annua will not have any pharmacological effects in your body. ( LINK )

So we're not going to see a run on absinthe any time soon? (wink!)

Seriously, this is interesting. So if it's not soluble -- neither water nor fat -- then would any meds have to be delivered intravenously? Or intramuscular? Skin patches? How might it work?

posted on Dec, 6 2016 @ 11:52 AM
link   
Artemisia is called wormwood for a reason. It is a great purgative.
A different species of wormwood is in absinthe.

If I was in need of it, I would grow it myself or get it from a respected company in the US, with the wormwood grown in the US. For it's worming powers, one can take a pill of it or soak it in alcohol to leach out the properties.

I know nothing of its use in diabetes. Just putting a little wormwood info out there.

posted on Dec, 6 2016 @ 12:06 PM
link   
a reply to: katfish

Very interesting -- thank you!

My knowledge is pretty much limited to gardening, where the artemisias are known insect repellants. I actually grow two types of artemisia -- artemisia absinthium (wormwood) and artemisia stelleriana (dusty miller). I know there are several others as well. I grow those for the pretty foliage. The wormwood is kind of a greenish gray with fern-like leaves, and the dusty miller has soft fuzzy gray leaves.

posted on Dec, 6 2016 @ 12:46 PM
link   

My mom used Sweet Annie in arrangements, it dries well. Good King Henry is even bigger and smellier. I love the smells but my area does not favor growing them.
HOWEVER the artemisias can trigger severe allergies in people. It is like sagebrush (not sage the culinary herb). I think they are related to ragweed.
Dusty Miller is not as potent, and a good insecticide. Pretty, too.

posted on Dec, 6 2016 @ 01:22 PM
link   

There is a lot of money for "Big Pharma" in the treatment of Type I (and Type II). I hope that this potential cure actually comes to fruition and it doesn't just get buried like many other promising cures for diseases.

Great find, OP!

posted on Dec, 6 2016 @ 02:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus

There is a lot of money for "Big Pharma" in the treatment of Type I (and Type II). I hope that this potential cure actually comes to fruition and it doesn't just get buried like many other promising cures for diseases.

Right??? It occurred to me that if it were discovered here -- especially by Big Pharma researchers -- it would have already been buried! It's a good thing it's happening in Europe, where profit isn't the motivating factor.

Great find, OP!

Thanks -- I'm glad it's appreciated.

posted on Dec, 7 2016 @ 09:54 AM
link   
Searching a bit I've found that:
For crude extraction purposes - Soluble in hexane,ethanol (peferably heated) and even in aqueous ethanol and water alone (one source claims up to 40% of available artemisinin found in tea.
Big pharma is selling it for decades as an antimalarial medication and because of the resistance WHO is pushing it to be prescription drugs. It is quite expensive but easy to obtain - seeds, herb,10:1 extract and even pure artemisinin.

posted on Dec, 7 2016 @ 11:17 AM
link   
a reply to: PapagiorgioCZ

Very interesting -- thank you!

Did you happen to read what parts of the plant are used? The roots or leaves or all? I know sometimes not all parts of a plant contain a specific substance, especially for healing purposes.

Now that I think about it, it makes sense that it would be soluble in alcohols, such as absinthe and vermouth.

posted on Dec, 8 2016 @ 08:20 AM
link   

Everything except root seems to contain it. There's also a hybrid three times as high in artemisinin.
I'm only afraid that they will inject hundreds of mice with high doses of pure artemisinin to find out that one of them developed a tumor or something. They did it with high Comfrey diet.

posted on Dec, 8 2016 @ 08:38 AM
link   

Everything except root seems to contain it. There's also a hybrid three times as high in artemisinin.
I'm only afraid that they will inject hundreds of mice with high doses of pure artemisinin to find out that one of them developed a tumor or something. They did it with high Comfrey diet.

Thank you!

I sure understand your concern. As noted, it wouldn't be the first time. They do know how to play the rules. It's despicable.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join