It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

College Students Want 'Sanctuary' from Debt, Final Exams & More

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 6 2016 @ 11:04 AM
link   
What a bunch of #ing pansy’s.

I would fail these useless oxygen thief’s for the audacity.

posted on Dec, 6 2016 @ 11:31 AM
link   
a reply to: Martin75

I can understand the debt part. I got a degree in education from Ohio State back in 2013. I was so broke after I couldn't afford the licensing procedure but, thankfully, that fee was waived eventually for vets. So I filled out the form, which required your school to sign off on it. I got an email from the head of my school's advisory office telling me the degree I had didn't lead to licensure. In fact, if I wanted the license I'd have to enroll in additional programs... basically making my degree worthless. I'm not sure the degree even exists anymore, but they sure were happy to sell it to me! I met with advisor throughout my time there, and never so much as a whisper about additional programs I should have been pursuing instead. In fact, I spent most of my time fighting with them, since they refused to accept any transfer credits but still counted them towards my academic progress... which artificially inflated my credit count, resulting in me having to go through the appeals process every quarter. I'm sure there were other kids pursuing the same degree at the same time as me. I was 27, and not exactly chillin' in the dorms. I don't know if they faced the same problems, if they somehow knew about the additional requirements, or if they ended up with a worthless degree also. Needless to say, I'll never voluntarily give OSU another penny. But someone should hold these universities accountable. What's to stop them from slapping together whatever degree they want? Absolutely nothing.

posted on Dec, 6 2016 @ 11:38 AM
link   

"Life is hard. It's harder when you're stupid."
-John Wayne

posted on Dec, 6 2016 @ 11:41 AM
link   
lol.. this has to be satire

posted on Dec, 6 2016 @ 11:50 AM
link   
a reply to: Perjury
I wish...

posted on Dec, 6 2016 @ 12:12 PM
link   
I deserve a safe space from debt because I work and dont get paid as much as i think i should, so its not fair. Government should stop this unfair debt!

*rolls eyes*

These are the most clueless people Ive ever seen. I worked graveyard shifts all through school to pay for rent and food while taking out loans and paying them back for the next 7 or 8 years. Why should they get a free pass on my back? And how the hell is that fair to the rest of us that worked our butts off to do it?
edit on 6-12-2016 by pirhanna because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2016 @ 01:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: pirhanna
I deserve a safe space from debt because I work and dont get paid as much as i think i should, so its not fair. Government should stop this unfair debt!

*rolls eyes*

These are the most clueless people Ive ever seen. I worked graveyard shifts all through school to pay for rent and food while taking out loans and paying them back for the next 7 or 8 years. Why should they get a free pass on my back? And how the hell is that fair to the rest of us that worked our butts off to do it?

Hell, it took me 15 years to pay off the remaining $85,000.00 in college loans alone. That was after busting myself applying for every scholarship, grant, and keeping my GPA above 3.0 to qualify to receive them to reduce the amount I needed to borrow. Then working a good 60-8hrs/week to live, raise a family, and pay off that debt.

Yeah, they are special, but not in a good way.

Not on my dime kids, and if they were acting like adults I would not be calling them kids.

Grow up, the real world needs you.

posted on Dec, 6 2016 @ 02:12 PM
link   
a reply to: bender151

This reads to me exactly the same as the OP. You did what you felt you should have to do, and now are upset that you don't have what you wanted despite, by your own admission not having fulfilled all the requirements.

posted on Dec, 9 2016 @ 01:02 PM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

Now, I am all for anyone asking for sanctuary from debt that should not have been applied in the first place. Education is not a commodity but a necessity and charging for it rather than cutting some NSA money out of their ridiculous budget, to pay for a college education for every kid who could absorb the curriculum on offer....let's just say that spending on education would be a GREAT move for any prospective government administration.

Personally I don't believe that College should be free, public school is already free and we all see how that turns out for people. This might come off as a bad thing to say but not everyone is deserving of a college education, now I am in no way saying that only the privileged or wealthy should be the ones going but by making college accessible to everyone is just going to turn a Bachelors degree into the new version of a high school diploma.

As for everything else you said in your post I couldn't agree with you more. Kudos to you sir.

posted on Dec, 10 2016 @ 11:10 PM
link   

These people are so ridiculous it makes me want to cry.

1 bright side though. If they can hardly "survive" and handle college (even with all their safe spaces and books marked with trigger warnings) they wont survive long in the real world. That at least takes most of them out of the gene pool relatively fast. On top of that with all these wanna-bee homosexuals and wanna-bee transgenders it is highly unlikely most of them will leave us with their off spring.

To many of these "progressives" in the world who fight against mother nature 24/7, Nature will balance things out.
Or as the great Jeff Goldblum once said:

posted on Dec, 10 2016 @ 11:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: DAVID64
Yes to all of that. They've been so coddled and pampered, they do think that's how the world works. Or at least how it's supposed to work for them, because, well, they want it to. I have never seen a group of "adults" so pathetically unprepared for real life.
And to beat it all, when they get fired, it'll be [ as usual ] someone else's fault.

Most major in "Gender studies" AKA "blame the patriarchy studies" so they will most likely blame 2 things, men in general and trumps policies (of bringing jobs back to america, the world will laugh at them s00n).
I guess they will never be able to buy those american made iPhones withouth a job.

posted on Dec, 11 2016 @ 04:02 PM
link   
a reply to: caf1550

Making college accessible to everyone isn't going to destroy the value of a degree. Look at Singapore, not only do they offer free college, have a culture that heavily values education, and even subsidizes the lifestyles of college students but they still have a demand for an educated workforce.

Singapore has a very interesting education system, not only do they routinely top all charts but they have little issues with unemployment and under employment. It seems that when you have a higher educated work force, you don't suffer losses from automation as easily, because no one is working the automated jobs to begin with. And that's why they have a society where 1 in 6 people is a millionaire.

More education, and more accessible education can only benefit us as a nation.

posted on Dec, 11 2016 @ 04:09 PM
link   
a reply to: everyone

I think a few of those majors are good, but it's definitely not something we need a lot of. Like anything else, it's worthy of study.

There's an easy fix for this though. Make the majors harder. The trend in education is to make everything easier, and to some extent I agree but I feel just the opposite towards other majors. The trend has been declining in useless majors so I think it's something that's solving itself but we could push it along. Personally, I would be perfectly happy with useless majors so long as you also had to take a STEM minor alongside it. Actually, I feel this way about many degrees, I think that in addition to your plan for your major, one should be cross trained in some sort of back up plan.

posted on Dec, 11 2016 @ 08:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: Aazadan
a reply to: caf1550

Making college accessible to everyone isn't going to destroy the value of a degree. Look at Singapore, not only do they offer free college, have a culture that heavily values education, and even subsidizes the lifestyles of college students but they still have a demand for an educated workforce.

Singapore has a very interesting education system, not only do they routinely top all charts but they have little issues with unemployment and under employment. It seems that when you have a higher educated work force, you don't suffer losses from automation as easily, because no one is working the automated jobs to begin with. And that's why they have a society where 1 in 6 people is a millionaire.

More education, and more accessible education can only benefit us as a nation.

Singapore is hardly a good example for all of this. It has a population of 5.3 million people and you go to jail for chewing chewing gum (no i am not joking) , Just new york alone has more then double that.

posted on Dec, 11 2016 @ 10:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: everyone
Singapore is hardly a good example for all of this. It has a population of 5.3 million people and you go to jail for chewing chewing gum (no i am not joking) , Just new york alone has more then double that.

I think they're a great example. They're an island of few natural resources. Their entire economy is based around finance, tech, and teaching. Yet they've made it work. While their society is a bit authoritarian, they've got the education part down and have proven that more educated people is better than fewer. In fact, their demand for an educated workforce exceeds what their country can produce.

It suggests if nothing else, that we can limit the impact of automation and out sourcing in our economy if we educate people more and create some high tech jobs.

posted on Dec, 12 2016 @ 01:08 AM
link   
a reply to: Aazadan

They are not "a bit authoritarian" Singapore is Extremely authoritarian to say the least. And no, they are a medium sized city that happens to be a sovereign country with just 5.3 million people in it and its own micro economy. You are comparing that to a country of about 350 million people that is a confederation made up of 50 separate nations and that is also very free and very diverse and has a huge world leading economy loaded with competition . Singapore is none of that.

edit on America/ChicagovAmerica/ChicagoMon, 12 Dec 2016 01:10:44 -060016201612America/Chicago by everyone because: spelling

top topics

<< 1   >>

join