It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

F-22s in Middle East losing their stealth coating

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 15 2017 @ 02:30 PM
link   
a reply to: pikestaff

Pikestaff, you are absolutely correct. RAM consisting of ferrite-impregnated polymers are subject to oxidation (i.e., rust). On the F-117A, RAM sheets were overpainted, which provided some protection against the elements. Chips, cracks, and gaps had to be sealed with liquid Ram to prevent rusting and ensure electrical continuity. There have no doubt been many improvements over the past three decades.

posted on Jan, 15 2017 @ 04:48 PM
link   
When I photographed an F-22 last summer here in England I noticed missing patches of RAM. Here you can see evidence of it under the wing uppermost in the picture, revealing the bright green that you see on pictures of unpainted aircraft.

edit on 15-1-2017 by waynos because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2017 @ 05:38 PM
link   
a reply to: waynos

We saw something similar at Nellis last summer. One Raptor in particular has what looked like an entire patch panel that had a completely different colored coating or no coating at all on it.

posted on Jan, 15 2017 @ 10:15 PM
link   
Think it all would depend on how the RAM coating is applied.If any paint shop can spray it then local airfields can do it but if its in a specialized shop then they have to be booked into have it done to spec.

posted on Feb, 14 2017 @ 02:42 PM
link   
According to sources, the RAM maintenance seen in the Middle East is no worse than they've seen in other conditions. Recently Lockheed put the first aircraft through their new Inlet Coating Repair Speedline, replacing the inlet coating on the oldest aircraft.

theaviationgeekclub.com... non-combat-operations/

posted on Feb, 15 2017 @ 07:06 PM
link   
interesting. thanks for posting. really any craft that size probably has to have the best coating. I think the future will tend towards smaller craft and flight patterning.

posted on Feb, 16 2017 @ 05:35 AM
link   
What really gets me about the F-22 is that despite the huge efforts made to document and archive the parts, toolings and the processes for the manufacture and upkeep of the planes, it seems there are big gaps...

nationalinterest.org...

The above and a few other stories I have heard of parts supplies drying up and especially the needed skills in ADA coding combined with the peculiar way some of the original coding was done make software upgrades slow and costly.

They tried, they really did, but budget cuts late in the piece forced the guys to cut corners close to two decades ago. Now we pay that price.

posted on Jul, 16 2017 @ 11:31 AM
link   
I heard from a friend of the family that is part of an F-22 squadron last night. According to him, the coatings are coming off as a result of age. It was fully expected, but the concern is over the coating on the front of the intake.

posted on Jul, 16 2017 @ 11:38 AM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

Thanks for the update zaph

posted on Jul, 17 2017 @ 02:11 AM
link   
I wonder if there is a material that can be applied after the RAM to keep it from sloughing off and if it would effect the RAM's performance.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join