It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Krampus Rising: Downfall of Christmas

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 6 2016 @ 07:23 AM
link   
a reply to: Shr00mz

Hello,

I´m from Salzburg-Austria and maby I can clear things up a bit.
First of all the Krampus thing is a tradition here in Austria, it is many hundred if not even a thousand years old.
Every 5th of December is the so called Krampus-Day and every 6th of December the so called Nicolaus Day.

There are many hundred traditional "Krampus-groups" all around my country. They are mainly made up of young guys from the countryside (been in one of this groups also when i was younger).
They are wearing pretty expensive fur-siuts and even more expensive hand carved masks with horns on them. They also have very big cow-bells on the back and horse or cow tales or some soft branches of wood in their hands to beat people a little bit.
(the whole equipment can go up to about 10.000 €)

On the evenings of those days in december there are so called "krampus-runs". Official events where many thousand people attend. There is a lot of hot-wine to drink, and as a highlight the boys with the krampus-suits run around one hour through the people and beat them a bit with ther horse tails, also there cow-bells are extremly loud wich makes it a pretty impressive and fun event.
Normaly noone should get hurt seriously, but with thousands of people attending and the limited view out of the masks and horns on them there can be some injuries. But the thing is, everyone attending this events know that they will eventually get a litte beating, so thats not a big thing at all.
That little risk of some bruises makes it fun in the first place _javascript:icon('
')

So no, there is no "new age" in this tradition, but i can understand it can look a bit crazy if you are not from the local area. Had colleges from other countrys with me on such events, some of them where pretty shocked at the beginning, but at the end everyone had a great evening.

Greetings from Austria
Sana.

posted on Dec, 6 2016 @ 01:55 PM
link   
"Brothers of Europe"? I'm assuming you're American based on that.

Way to prove we're a country of ignorant asshats living in a bubble. Krampus is OLD, dude. As in not a new invention like you assume, as in centuries older to Austrians than American Santa is to Americans.

To the poster with their panties in a wad over Black Peter (Zwarte Piet), he's Blackamoor in his earliest depictions. To the best of my art history knowledge, that's actually not Moor specific, it's an artistic depiction designation for non-Euro races. I don't recall ever reading anything that says it's black/African people-specific. It's worth noting Blackamoor works usually symbolically depict servants doing their thing and are highly decorated, some very ornately.

Currently, unless I'm completely mistaken, Zwarte Piet is depicted specifically as Saint Nicholas' Moorish companion. Now, to go further back into history for origin.
Since we've paid homage to Odin and his horse Sleipnir before in this house, I know Odin also had 2 ravens accompanying him on the Great Hunt. They also served as companions or helpers to Odin. Since a lot area traditions can be traced back to Germanic ones, it's not entirely out of the question that the black ravens turned into a human over time.
Other historical sources depict Saint Nicholas taming a physically restrained demon/devil, and now he's forced to assist St Nick. Ergo, Saint Nicholas' captive devil turned into a human over time.

There, pick whichever one makes you feel better as the Zwarte Piet origin story. You learned something, yay you!

posted on Dec, 7 2016 @ 12:37 AM
link   
a reply to: cancerslug

From what I've pulled up since this come out is before Santa there was Krampus as symbol of winter/winter solstice. Krampus in Pegan which was practiced in Germany before arrival of Christians who later brought Christmas/Santa.

Krampus was considered "Yule", a beastly man that brings darker colder days. He was given a dark image to express the death of the Earth. plants dying and such. And is where historians believe "Yuletide" thrives from.

I probably messed some of that up but get gist of it I am sure. So Krampus might just be claiming what is rightfully his.

posted on Dec, 7 2016 @ 12:56 AM
link   
a reply to: Sanitarium79

Aah, Thank you for pointing out true opinion from where this arrives. I can see your point very clearly and it does lighten up the subject a lot.

America usually don't share customs like this mainly for radical Christianism involved. I am just on edge from spirit cooking and other things going on in America. First glance I admit I biasedly seen this as "cloud over Christmas" that am currently clinging to in strange times we have in moment.

It definitely looks neat, wish we had more appreciation for old traditions we came from. Americans are a little "sheltered" over here. They can say what they want about him (krampus) being old but it's news for most Americans. I could only imagine what a story like this would be in 1920s or up to 1950s. God fearing, I tell ya.

You have a great Yuletide, friend.

posted on Dec, 7 2016 @ 08:23 AM
link   

Yep you are spot on in your research, Krampus was a Pegan tradition here before the catholic church got a grip on us.
I guess it was hard enough to bring our celtic ancestors to respect that they have to follow the catholics now - so they probably decided they let them some of the Pegan things.
And merging this traditions with the catholic Nicolaus made it easier to digest for our ancestors.
(Altough the first some hundred years after the inquisition there was a death penalty for all Pegan traditions, but many areas here are so remote that the locals never stoped it anyway)

Like you said it looks pretty neat, that and the fact that the guys that run as Krampus get many free drinks are the only reasons we still practice this tradition I guess - noone that I know of has any religios thought on the Krampus thing.

Thank you friend, I wish you some nice Christmas days also

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join