It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

You can be fined $250,000 for not calling people ‘ze’ or ‘hir,’ pronouns if they demand

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 5 2016 @ 06:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: kaylaluv
a reply to: Krakatoa

This law has actually been in existence for a while now. Can you show me how many lawsuits have happened over someone refusing to call someone ze or zir or hir or any other non-traditional pronouns?

I may not know. However, if it was you or anyone else (whether it is true or not) it will cost you $$$ to defend yourself and that cost might just affect your entire family. In addition you will be persecuted in the media (again, whether true or not) and how is that right? It's not the number of lawsuits, its the fact that it is trying to enforce a morality and/or courtesy issue at the point of a legal sword.

posted on Dec, 5 2016 @ 06:22 PM
link   

a reply to: Krahzeef_Ukhar

The dangerous part of the conservative movement is "you fall in line with what we want you to be".

You can be whatever you want to be as long as you don't force me to accept it.

posted on Dec, 5 2016 @ 06:23 PM
link   
a reply to: omniEther

I believe it said landlord or employer and MAY and INTENTIONALLY and REPEATEDLY. If someone I had a professional or business relationship with called me 'Mister' over and over, after being told to stop, it would be highly annoying and harassment.

For the few people who are using the new titles, it shouldn't be that difficult.

edit on 5-12-2016 by reldra because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 5 2016 @ 06:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: mamabeth

The dangerous part of the conservative movement is "you fall in line with what we want you to be".

You can be whatever you want to be as long as you don't force me to accept it.

That's rather disrespectful.

posted on Dec, 5 2016 @ 06:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: pirhanna
You can call me Lord Pirhanna. I demand it!

These folks wont get a damned thing from me. Be prepared to be called "it" if you try to force some dumb speech thing on me.

Oi!

In general, you can't be forced. If you are an employer or a landlord, it appears you should attempt to learn the title preferred by the person if you address them with a title normally, such as Mr. or Ms. Otherwise, it does not seem to be forcing anyone to do anything.

posted on Dec, 5 2016 @ 06:29 PM
link   
a reply to: reldra

Yes, it was designed with transphobic people in mind. Not people making innocent mistakes.

posted on Dec, 5 2016 @ 06:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: constant_thought

you can call me by my prefered title. Mungus, Hugh Mungus

Mungus can be a title I guess. Hugh Mungus is an entire name. If I had a business relationship with you and you noted, clearly, that you wanted to be referred to as 'Mungus' instead of she or he or mister..why not?

Unless I have a REALLY short attention span, if you said it 10 times, I would remember.

posted on Dec, 5 2016 @ 06:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: marg6043
a reply to: kaylaluv

Hey if you miss the target, "penis or vagina" I guess you can always say, "sorry I can to tell what the hell you are".

Or here's a thought: you could politely ask. To hell with manners, though, right?

How the hell do you ask without offending? Politeness has nothing to do with it, and I can see them being offended either way.

As a famous admiral once said, It's a trap!

posted on Dec, 5 2016 @ 06:36 PM
link   
a reply to: Annee

Well,it happens to be the truth and I am sorry if the truth hurts.

link   

originally posted by: Wardaddy454

Hey if you miss the target, "penis or vagina" I guess you can always say, "sorry I can to tell what the hell you are".

Or here's a thought: you could politely ask. To hell with manners, though, right?

How the hell do you ask without offending? Politeness has nothing to do with it, and I can see them being offended either way.

How so?

Applications have titles to circle and sometimes a line to fill in. Women are often asked Mrs. or ms.? It is NOT that difficult.

link   

originally posted by: breakingbs
I refuse to use ze or frickin hir. Thats she and her. In german. So you're demanding me call you she and her. It's fricking she and her.

My brow-beaten friends still joke about "wotsits." So if I can't tell what you are, you're an it or some...thing, or "maybe they were a wotsit." Im just not polite about it, so..that's what you get, dig?

I met a makeup artist that I've seen on a few sets before, last month.

I am usually very good at spotting the "wosits" lol.

I raised an eyebrow when "Tomato" showed me where the men's room was and followed me in to take a wizz. lol.

$250 k? Let them try.

posted on Dec, 5 2016 @ 06:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: Wardaddy454

"If I am not referring to you properly, just let me know. I would never want to offend you or make you uncomfortable" would probably work. Politeness has a LOT to do with it.

posted on Dec, 5 2016 @ 06:38 PM
link   

So you don't refute my argument that the progressive movement is dangerous. And say the reason the conservative movement is dangerous is because it does what the progressive movement wants.

I can't fault your logic and I agree 100%.

I think we've made progress.

posted on Dec, 5 2016 @ 06:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: mamabeth
a reply to: Annee

I am sorry if the truth hurts.

No you're not.

posted on Dec, 5 2016 @ 06:40 PM
link   
how much do you get fine if you call them a homophobe slur? might be cheaper

if I don't know I'll just go with "it".

This is how a group loses popular support.

posted on Dec, 5 2016 @ 06:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: burgerbuddy

I refuse to use ze or frickin hir. Thats she and her. In german. So you're demanding me call you she and her. It's fricking she and her.

My brow-beaten friends still joke about "wotsits." So if I can't tell what you are, you're an it or some...thing, or "maybe they were a wotsit." Im just not polite about it, so..that's what you get, dig?

I raised an eyebrow when "Tomato" showed me where the men's room was and followed me in to take a wizz. lol.

$250 k? Let them try.

What exactly is a 'wosit' ?

If you have a professional relationship with them and you are told repeatedly and intentionally ignore it...in that jurisdiction, you have broken the law and the post you made proves that you know it.

The fine for you would be fairly easy.

posted on Dec, 5 2016 @ 06:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: jellyrev
how much do you get fine if you call them a homophobe slur? might be cheaper

if I don't know I'll just go with "it".

This is how a group loses popular support.

Who refers to another person as 'it' ?

A hompphobe slur may be cheaper, but shows your character.

If you have a professional relationship with someone, and you will need to refer to then in conversation often, just ask what they prefer if the sentence calls for a personal pronoun rather than a first name.

People using new terms will be happy to tell you.
edit on 5-12-2016 by reldra because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 5 2016 @ 06:46 PM
link   

I keep myself bulletproof from litigation for just such stupidity.

I shall speak freely thank you very much.

posted on Dec, 5 2016 @ 06:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: reldra

originally posted by: burgerbuddy

$250 k? Let them try.

What exactly is a 'wosit' ?

If you have a professional relationship with them and you are told repeatedly and intentionally ignore it...in that jurisdiction, you have broken the law and the post you made proves that you know it.

The fine for you would be fairly easy.

A "wosit" is an age old question.

posted on Dec, 5 2016 @ 06:47 PM
link   
a reply to: reldra

Who refers to another person as 'it' ?

You are always on the side of authoritarian policies. Why is that?

I call anyone that I can't determine the sex of 'it'.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join