It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

You can be fined $250,000 for not calling people ‘ze’ or ‘hir,’ pronouns if they demand

page: 15
<< 12  13  14    16  17  18 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 6 2016 @ 12:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: ElectricUniverse
a reply to: imjack

It isn't a request when you can face hefty fines for not addressing that person as they want to be addressed... This is imposing the will of others on people.

And what's wrong with addressing them the way they want to be addressed?

My point was you don't have a conversation even if you're not correctly addressing the person you're talking to. It's just patronisation verses rage.

If the argument is that you won't know out of ignorance of the many pronouns, I don't think that's what this is meant to cover.

My point is "Jenny" being called "Jimmy" by Kyle for 5 years at the company might have been funny to him, but it's just offensive. It's hard to argue gender isn't an easy target for transgendered people, if you don't like one, the first thing I've seen most people disrespect is the fact they are transgender, equating them to something else entirely, gay, it, delusional straight person, etc.

The counter argument that people will randomly sue you for ignorantly using the wrong pronouns just isn't reality. It's arrogance that will drive persecution, not ignorance.
edit on 6-12-2016 by imjack because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2016 @ 12:15 AM
link   

edit on 6-12-2016 by imjack because: y

posted on Dec, 6 2016 @ 12:23 AM
link   
a reply to: derfreebie

NON combatants are FINE, so far they are EASILY beaten by a verbal debate using history and wit.
I don't like PC speech for it's false security and weakening nature.

My guns are still dusty.

posted on Dec, 6 2016 @ 12:25 AM
link   

Because it is the imposition of the will of a person upon other people... Because you see yourself as "x" doesn't mean people have to address you as "x". If people willingly address you as "x" then that's their decision.

But when YOUR opinion is forced on others it is not okay. It is totalitarianism dressed up as "human rights". It is the same thing as forcing all women to accept transgender people who haven't fully transitioned and still have their male organs in the restroom with other women and female girls. It's insanity.

edit on 6-12-2016 by ElectricUniverse because: correct comment.

posted on Dec, 6 2016 @ 12:25 AM
link   

It's not a request, as it is sanctioned by law.

posted on Dec, 6 2016 @ 12:26 AM
link   
a reply to: Abysha

Logic. Two is not the same as one. Plural is not the same as singular.

posted on Dec, 6 2016 @ 12:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: ElectricUniverse

Because you see yourself as "x" doesn't mean people have to address you as "x". If people willingly address you as "x" then that's their decision. It's insanity.

Then fullcircle to my first post and question, am I allowed to address you as whatever I want then? Assuming you're male, there's nothing wrong with me addressing you as female? Especially if I know you dislike it? Why should you be allowed to impose your belief you're a male on me if I want to call you female?

It's hard for me to see that as anything but harassment.

You can call it totalitarianism, but you only pay the fine if you refuse to acknowledge another person.

Why should we keep slander laws? What is their purpose?

posted on Dec, 6 2016 @ 12:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: LesMisanthrope

That you do what? Follow their request? Do I have to give you the 'consequences' speech? You can still do whatever you want.

What WON'T happen is you call a man 'He', and without knowing they are something other than 'He', will you be fined.
edit on 6-12-2016 by imjack because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2016 @ 01:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: imjack

That you do what? Follow their request? Do I have to give you the 'consequences' speech? You can still do whatever you want.

What WON'T happen is you call a man 'He', and without knowing they are something other than 'He', will you be fined.

The consequences speech? Be my guest. Yes I can call anyone I want, whatever I want, and so can you. Whether you do or not is up to you, and not the government.

posted on Dec, 6 2016 @ 03:23 AM
link   

edit on 6-12-2016 by breakingbs because: n-

posted on Dec, 6 2016 @ 03:46 AM
link   
a reply to: omniEther

Seems to me a simple matter of respect, if someone expresses a preference, use it.
If someone expresses a preference, who and what the Hell are you to argue?!

posted on Dec, 6 2016 @ 05:07 AM
link   
a reply to: ColdWisdom

If you have a penis, I'll call you sir. If you have a vagina, I'll call you mam.

But if you look down there to work what tools they've got you could be screamed at for "sexual assault" like that feminist in that Hugh Mungus video, see thread

"Insane Feminists falsely accusing men of sexual assault (video compilation)"
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Dec, 6 2016 @ 06:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: Annee

originally posted by: mamabeth
a reply to: Annee

Well,it happens to be the truth and I am sorry if the truth hurts.

The truth of what?

That you can't evolve in understanding diverse gender identity?

We understand "Diverse gender identity" perfectly. We understand that it's a load of bull. We also understand that it should really be called "divisive gender politics".

Man or woman. Don't actually care what somebody picks, but pick one.

posted on Dec, 6 2016 @ 06:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: Abysha
That's the part some of you aren't getting. This isn't about "legislating pronoun use". It's legislation against a certain kind of harassment. Repeatedly calling a person by the incorrect pronoun, even after that person has corrected you, is harassment. This legislation is meant to target those who would harass another with transphobic hate speech (which includes using improper pronouns to bully). Read about it more closely and you'll see it's not what you think it is.

Except to even get into this argument, we have to first accept that "zie" or whatever is a proper pronoun. It isn't. It's a stupid made-up word created to enable special snowflakes and penalise people who aren't prepared to accept that brand of nonsense as "normal".

Calling a spade a spade is no basis for legislation. It's sole purpose is an attack on those who are standing up to this leftist drivel and an attempt to invent some moral highground from which to undermine the "small c" conservative ideals that most people (on either side of the political spectrum) still hold.

Sorry, the Emperor has no clothes - and based on his genitals flapping about in the breeze, he's clearly a "he".

posted on Dec, 6 2016 @ 06:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: Aazadan

originally posted by: IkNOwSTuff
If I saw a Tranny as a courtesy I would call her she but the second anyone demanded or even asked me to call them some nonsensical made up term id just call them "F*** off moron" and move away, I try to spend as little time around crazy people as possible

Gender neutral pronouns aren't made up terms. The projections are that within 20-30 years English won't be using his/hers/etc... anymore anyways, it will all be gender neutral.

This isn't about "gender neutral pronouns". It's about pronouns indicating a gender that it outside of traditional gender definitions.

"I see a man. He is doing something."
"I see a woman. She is doing something."
"I see a person. They are doing something."

This is just another attempt at controlling the language in order to control thinking and penalise dissent.

Orwell called it "newspeak".

posted on Dec, 6 2016 @ 06:28 AM
link   

I take it you cannot think of a time where you'd use he or she? What about a title? A preferred name?

As I said earlier, which you obviously ignored, I have not used titles (Mr./Mrs.) professionally as long as I can recall. As for 'preferred' names I also said use a generic address.

I think you may be misconstruing what I am saying so let me be clear, I will, under no circumstances, bother learning 50+ new methods of addressing people, I will continue either referring to them by their legal name or a generic address, I do not have time for bull**** and to worry about things that are not worth worrying about.

Do as you feel best if you ever come to the United States, move to New York City and either hirer or rent to someone.

posted on Dec, 6 2016 @ 06:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

I address people by their names, yes. But where a pronoun is required I use a pronoun. It's called grammar.

I cannot think of one place you would be required to use a pronoun.

Try saying "give me a drink" without the use of a pronoun.

Pint of beer, please. Wait, better make that two, it's going to be a loooong day.
edit on Ev41TuesdayTuesdayAmerica/ChicagoTue, 06 Dec 2016 06:41:01 -06005702016b by EvillerBob because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2016 @ 07:05 AM
link   
Yo!

posted on Dec, 6 2016 @ 09:26 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Me, me, me. This isn't about you or I. This is a matter of principle and universal human rights, which you obviously ignored, and will throw under the bus because you don't have time for bull**** and worry. Relativism is a disease.

posted on Dec, 6 2016 @ 09:34 AM
link   

This is a matter of principle and universal human rights...

Which universal human right was violated by having to use someone's name?

Oh, the humanity! How will we ever survive...

edit on 6-12-2016 by AugustusMasonicus because: Zazz 2020!

new topics

top topics

<< 12  13  14    16  17  18 >>

join