It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

You can be fined $250,000 for not calling people ‘ze’ or ‘hir,’ pronouns if they demand

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 5 2016 @ 08:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: omniEther
Kinda.. If you're being threatened and forced to do it..

No one is forcing you to call someone by their given name.

posted on Dec, 5 2016 @ 08:14 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

I address people by their names, yes. But where a pronoun is required I use a pronoun. It's called grammar.

posted on Dec, 5 2016 @ 08:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: LesMisanthrope
I address people by their names, yes. But where a pronoun is required I use a pronoun. It's called grammar.

I cannot think of one place you would be required to use a pronoun.

posted on Dec, 5 2016 @ 08:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr

originally posted by: Shamrock6
"Hey you" works for everybody.

2nd.

How do you respond to that on the job?
"Hey you" instead of Sir or Officer...

When I was young I accidentally called a cop "dude". He was thankfully busy and laughed but totally busted my balls on that. I dont suggest it.

posted on Dec, 5 2016 @ 08:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

I cannot think of one place you would be required to use a pronoun.

Try saying "give me a drink" without the use of a pronoun.

posted on Dec, 5 2016 @ 08:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: pirhanna

2nd.

When I was young I accidentally called a cop "dude". He was thankfully busy and laughed but totally busted my balls on that. I don't suggest it.

My point exactly. Police demand respect form civvies, but quickly violate rights when shown 'disrespect'. Even name calling.

posted on Dec, 5 2016 @ 08:25 PM
link   

What if someone asks you where where jack went, and god forbid someone slips up and say he went up the hill.

edit on 5-12-2016 by omniEther because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 5 2016 @ 08:26 PM
link   
I will never use pronouns beyond he, she, and possibly it to refer to people.

The powers that be can fine me into oblivion before I bow down to their cultural Marxist Orwellian nightmare.

posted on Dec, 5 2016 @ 08:26 PM
link   

'Me' is not one of the pronouns in the Original Post. This is not about talking to yourself, but talking to other people.

Try again.

posted on Dec, 5 2016 @ 08:27 PM
link   

What if someone asks you where where jack went, and god forbid someone slips up and say he went up the hill.

You get that easily tripped up?

posted on Dec, 5 2016 @ 08:30 PM
link   

No they do they're the ones setting precedents on free speech to accommodate snowflakes

posted on Dec, 5 2016 @ 08:32 PM
link   

At least you can think of one place where a pronoun is required, contrary to your assertion.

A pronoun takes the place of a noun that has already been identified. Repeatedly referring to someone else by their first name is ugly, lazy, and uneconomical.

posted on Dec, 5 2016 @ 08:32 PM
link   

No they do they're the ones setting precedents on free speech to accommodate snowflakes

Not seeing it. This is a mountain out of a mole hill where people want to get triggered because they like to get triggered.

posted on Dec, 5 2016 @ 08:35 PM
link   

A pronoun takes the place of a noun that has already been identified. Repeatedly referring to someone else by their first name is ugly, lazy, and uneconomical.

Uh, once you engage in a conversation with someone how frequently do you need to use their name?

'So, Bill, I have what you need.'

-or-

'Bill, so, Bill, I have what you need, Bill.'

posted on Dec, 5 2016 @ 08:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

'Me' is not one of the pronouns in the Original Post. This is not about talking to yourself, but talking to other people.

Try again.

But that brings up an interesting thing... why are first-person pronouns gender neutral but third-person pronouns gendered?

"Me" is "me", regardless of the speaker's gender. Yet, "her" and "him" being correct is dependent on the subject's gender. Sorry, just struck me as weird suddenly. Not even drinking yet.

posted on Dec, 5 2016 @ 08:36 PM
link   

What if you're talking to someone else?

posted on Dec, 5 2016 @ 08:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: pirhanna

2nd.

When I was young I accidentally called a cop "dude". He was thankfully busy and laughed but totally busted my balls on that. I don't suggest it.

My point exactly. Police demand respect form civvies, but quickly violate rights when shown 'disrespect'. Even name calling.

Good Christ. Everybody knows you have a huge hardon for me but attempting to "make a point" even when I don't acknowledge your little chihuahua sounds is just sad dude.

Since I don't wear a uniform, I get "hey you" a lot more than I get "officer" and I'm glad for it. But if you go out of your way to be disrespectful towards anybody, cop or not, why should you expect to get treated with respect regardless?

When you act like a clown, you'll get treated like one. Case in point. "Hey you" is name calling? Maybe in your safe space it is. Not mine.
edit on 5-12-2016 by Shamrock6 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 5 2016 @ 08:40 PM
link   

What if you're talking to someone else?

'So, Bill and Margaret, what do you think of this proposal now that you had time to review it together? I already reviewed it with Bill earlier and the sentiment was it was favorable?'

Show my where I can shove some superfluous pronouns in there to suit your language requirements.

posted on Dec, 5 2016 @ 08:40 PM
link   

But you used pronouns. "You" is a pronoun.

Try again.
edit on 5-12-2016 by LesMisanthrope because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 5 2016 @ 08:42 PM
link   

But you used pronouns. "You" is a pronoun.

Which is not covered in the Original Post. Did you even bother reading it before getting outraged?

new topics

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join