It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stupid Cows!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 4 2016 @ 05:14 PM
link   
Went out this morning to load up the last three heifers to deliver. Had everything all ready to go, just needed to put the heifers in the corral and load 'em up. Piece of cake, right? Well, crap...not even close!!

Wife went out to bring them in and they spooked and bolted. She comes to get me for some help. We try to get them in but they spook bolt again, but this time they bolt through one of our boundary fences and out into an adjoinng section. I'm thinking...okay, we'll just bring them back with the ATV. HA! Nope.

Turns out they exited this section and got out into an adjacent 13 section parcel of open-space full of valleys, ravines, trees and a river. Took me about an hour to even find them, freezing my ass of on the ATV (it was about 9F and windy), and once I found the three idiots I couldn't even get close to where they were.

So then I had to ride about another 7-8 miles to go around a different way, no way was I chancing crossing the ice. Plus I was already about 7 miles from the house and I didn't really feel like getting dunked in ice water or trying to unstick a four wheeler. There was probably some way through because they got through somehow, but I'll be danged if I could see it.

Finally managed to get the three dumbasses up against a fence and into a neighbor's pasture. Then I went over and talked to him, told him I needed to get them through his pasture into ours. Eventually managed to get all three of them back into our high pasture.

I was going to have them delivered by 8 this morning. Well...that ain't happenin'!

They're so spooked now I can't get within a mile of 'em.

Women!! Go figure!

edit...still can't figure out how they got into the open space. I didn't ride all the fence, but it's all new so I can't imagine they got through it. Only way I could see was they must have jumped a cattle guard to get in there. Good thing it was an old cattle ranch.

posted on Dec, 4 2016 @ 05:19 PM
link   
I wonder why they are so spooked? I`m not saying it`s aliens but if you see any strange lights tonight I wouldn`t go out there.

posted on Dec, 4 2016 @ 05:20 PM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk
Learn to play the trombone.

Then again you might play off key and spook them worse. Even worse would be playing the brown note. Let's not talk about that though lol.

ETA: You might also get an RC car.

edit on 4-12-2016 by Skid Mark because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 4 2016 @ 05:28 PM
link   
A few years ago, I lived in a small town of about 1500 people. A cow got away from the butcher, and all 5 cops in town spent all afternoon trying to trap this cow in a residential neighbourhood.
Quite entertaining.

link   
a reply to: Tardacus

They're spooked because....

1. they knew they were going to get loaded up and shipped out. (we shipped out a couple bull calves yesterday)

2. because they got herded across about 8 miles of pastures, over hill and dale, through ravines, trees, water and terrain after they escaped by one mad cowboy on a four wheeler.

I'd taken the four wheeler because I thought I might pick up the wife somewhere along the way. She'd taken off on foot to try to find them. They were WAY further away though...like way, WAY, further!"

Froze my backside off riding in the cold and wind. (plus, I only had a vest on).

link   
DP
edit on 12/4/2016 by Flyingclaydisk because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 4 2016 @ 05:33 PM
link   
a reply to: Skid Mark

I could see how that first video would work actually. The trombone sounds very similar to a bull calling...in an odd sort of way.

The second video...cows are naturally curious with things like that. That was fun. ...when they calm down of course!

posted on Dec, 4 2016 @ 05:42 PM
link   
You weren't shipping them to a zoo, right? I'm guessing Filet mignon is not something they look on with delight.

posted on Dec, 4 2016 @ 05:47 PM
link   
Bahahaha! What an entertaining read and following posts. I had visuals! Ahahaa!
edit on 4-12-2016 by Night Star because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 4 2016 @ 05:50 PM
link   
a reply to: schuyler

Well, the heifers actually go to a breeder so these ding-dongs weren't destined for the dinner plate, but rather a pretty handsome bull! (I know...we "hatched" him).

Just silly panicky "girls" LOL!!

posted on Dec, 4 2016 @ 05:51 PM
link   
a reply to: Night Star

Yeah, it can be pretty entertaining sometimes....AFTERWARDS!!

In the moment...not so much!

posted on Dec, 4 2016 @ 06:04 PM
link   

I'm still laughing!

posted on Dec, 4 2016 @ 06:45 PM
link   
Dad says "blind date girls!"

Girls adverse to being pimped out do what girls do.
Just like the start of a NASCAR race.....3-2-1

I feel for ya, I really do. Maybe if you'd of lied to them like most good dads do an told them they were going to the mall?

posted on Dec, 4 2016 @ 07:39 PM
link   
a reply to: Night Star

Around a nice warm wood stove in the barn, and an ice cold beer...yeah, it's pretty funny.

My poor dear wife probably hiked 4 miles downhill, and then 4.5 miles back uphill. Poor girl, she's wore out, and I don't blame her. I came out to rescue her on the four wheeler (with water and everything), but she'd headed back up the hill before I got around the bottom.

posted on Dec, 4 2016 @ 07:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: Skid Mark
Learn to play the trombone.

I had no idea cows liked Lorde.

posted on Dec, 4 2016 @ 07:49 PM
link   
My grandpa had cows. He was a dairy farmer. One night they got out of the fence and he was kicking at them to get them back in. Well, he was in the dream he was having anyway. In reality he was kicking my grandma. I hope you don't go through the same unless you have a comfy sofa.

posted on Dec, 4 2016 @ 08:25 PM
link   
Nothing worse than cows with a case of the wild eyes. I had the pleasure of trying to load a pissed off bull into a trailer after some drunks tried to force him in with a tractor. Needless to say, he trashed the trailer, didn't get loaded in.... took me 3 hours to calm him down enough to load him. I still sweat thinking about it.

posted on Dec, 4 2016 @ 10:26 PM
link   
We've got these last three girls sold, but now I'm thinking we might just need to take one to the National Western Stock Show this year. Maybe we just rope that dun down.

Her great grandfather was the NWSS Grand Champ. We've held off for so many years. This dun is a CHAMP.

She's awesome! The NWSS is a HARD go, but my buddy and his 15 year old daughter are all in. She's SPECTACULAR!

Maybe we might not sell this one.....

I know, the buyer is going to be MAD as a hornet, but .... but.... I don't know.

The "show" is hard.

BUT...I've been there before, and I've got some folks I can depend on.

posted on Dec, 4 2016 @ 11:02 PM
link   

The one thing you can be sure of with cows: when the weathers the worst, they'll get lost in a ravine.

The life of a rancher.

posted on Dec, 5 2016 @ 04:29 AM
link   
You don't need a trombone... Just Yodel at them.... I kid you not.

And not the short "Yodel-lay-hee-hooo" one, but a long Cowboy Yodel. Like they recorded in the late 50's/early 60's.

Phonetically I Yodel this:

"Yeeew Hit - Yewllll, a liddle lady-dee-dee, Yeww- ahh- Lady-lew-a-Lady-Lew."

Go High on the 'y' words and curl the tongue on the 'L' words and cows WILL come running.

Though in Minnesota and Wisconsin, where I have lived on 2 separate farms, it meant Dairy, not Cattle....

And, to be fully disclosed...I have not had ONE Midwest Farmer do this when I tell them (usually at the edge of the pasture), they just look at me like I'm nuts.

I always have to prove it.... and it always works.

One morning, when no one is looking - except those cows 50 yards away, yodel.
edit on 5-12-2016 by Newt22 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join