It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Army Corp Of Engineers deny's permit and shuts down Pipeline!

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 4 2016 @ 08:34 PM
link   
There is a dark side to all of this. Transporting oil via rail is far more risky and no doubt more environmental damage will occur as a result, than would ever occur due to a modern pipeline. They will never be able to put in a safer way to transport oil again if they can be stopped simply by trespassing, irrational, dishonest, violent activists.

The less oil we produce here in a country that has such strong environmental protections in place, the more is produced in countries that do far more environmental damage and imported from places that not only pose a greater risk, but where money supports governments that deny basic human rights. Ripples on a pond.

It also sets a precedent that people can trespass on land they do not control or own and control it just by engaging in criminal acts.

This is a political statement by an outgoing President and has little to do with the law or common sense.

posted on Dec, 4 2016 @ 08:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: Caver78
This was the earlier news I'd found but was waiting for another source before posting. Because it came out of Oregon I was concerned it was a hoax, but NOPE!!!

DAPL: Sec of Army Announced the Easement has been DENIED

Bonnie King Salem-News.com
"We will not fight tonight, we will dance!" -Rami Bald Eagle, Cheyenne River Lakota Tribal Leader

standing rock
Image: energy transfer partners

(SALEM, Ore.) - Moments ago, the Secretary of the Army contacted tribal leaders and announced the easement has been denied.

"We will not fight tonight, we will dance!", said Rami Bald Eagle, Cheyenne River Lakota Tribal Leader shared the great news, with much celebration breaking out among the people.

Thousands of U.S. Veterans have boots on the ground at the Standing Rock Protest, many more than expected. Tim King, former editor of Salem-News.com, is there and heard the announcement.

U.S. military Veterans have been standing "out front" for a couple of days with more of their brothers and sisters-in-arms arriving daily. No, they do not have weapons.

www.salem-news.com...

Rezlooper along with the rest of us will be delirious!

Yes! Great news! Thanks for the efforts all in donating and helping out.

posted on Dec, 4 2016 @ 08:59 PM
link   
well at least at the moment, it looks like the tribe is occupying a good portion of that contested land they they claim was swiped from them. they should stay there, and continue occupying it regardless of weather they reroute the pipeline or not. hopefully, those that came from those 100+ other tribes to offer their support will hang around and help them hold it. it's amazing really that a country that has been such a strong supporter of the european jew's right to land in the middle east who's claim is so far back in ancient history, fails to recognize the claims of the native tribes in their own country, with much more recent and recorded evidence to back up those claims.

posted on Dec, 4 2016 @ 09:03 PM
link   
a reply to: Blaine91555

It also sets a precedent that people can trespass on land they do not control or own and control it just by engaging in criminal acts.

That is pretty much sums up what happened to the Native Americans.

Too bad they didn't learn from their usurpers sooner.

posted on Dec, 4 2016 @ 09:08 PM
link   
a reply to: Caver78

Obama forced the Corp of Engineers to give this answer. Trump will reverse in two months, continue building under the river.

posted on Dec, 4 2016 @ 09:10 PM
link   

"We will not fight tonight, we will dance!" -Rami Bald Eagle, Cheyenne

Buck

posted on Dec, 4 2016 @ 09:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: NightSkyeB4Dawn

That is pretty much sums up what happened to the Native Americans.

Too bad they didn't learn from their usurpers sooner.

I can't argue that and it did happen. It happened long before any of us were alive however, which makes it irrelevant to today, unless of course you think those alive today are guilty of things done by people long ago dead?

That seems terribly disingenuous to me if that's the case. It's like saying if your great, great, great, great, great, grandfather committed a crime, you personally should be tried and jailed for it and so should every future member of your family.

Any criminals in your family tree that died before you were born? You ready to pay a price for what your long dead ancestor did?

Like I said, this sets a very bad precedent and trying to change the topic does not change that.

posted on Dec, 4 2016 @ 09:40 PM
link   

I can't argue that and it did happen. It happened long before any of us were alive however, which makes it irrelevant to today, unless of course you think those alive today are guilty of things done by people long ago dead?

It is very relevant today to all those people that are alive today. Just like it is relevant to the Jews, Armenians, Syrians and all those other peoples that had ancestors die at the hand of those guilty people that died long ago.

It is very relevant that the Native American suffered at the hands of those that strong armed them, slaughtered them through genocide and are still attempting to destroy their people and lands.

I think that I am very much on topic with my comment, and the dangerous precedent has already been set. That is why the Native Americans know they have to stop the DPL from destroying more of the their culture and land. The have learned a very important lesson from those guilty people that died a long time ago.

posted on Dec, 4 2016 @ 09:56 PM
link   

my understanding is that the land was theirs, under treaty, but then in the 1950's the gov't wanted it, they were gonna build a damn and flood the area, but the tribe wouldn't sell it to them. so, they just kind of took it through imminent domain, and set up a trust fund for the tribe and bought the land, which they never really did flood as much as they said they were going to. the tribe never did agree to this transaction and all that money is still sitting in that trust fund unused. so, well, as long as you can agree that the gov't should be able to buy your home and land in this manner, guess there isn't a problem in your eyes...
they're gonna be drilling right under one of the tribes sacred burial grounds.....
I'm sure just about all of us wouldn't like the idea if some company was given permission to go drilling under the Arlington National Cemetery.

posted on Dec, 4 2016 @ 10:02 PM
link   
a reply to: chuckk

Also Tweet to @USACE_SWD @realdonaldtrump (Corp of Engineers & Trump) telling them that Trump will reverse the under river pipeline stop order, allow full under river pipeline construction to start now, firing the Corp of Enginneer (COE) Civil Engineers who stopped construction, fire the US Indian Affairs department thinking that this was a good idea, and insure that construction starts up with full steam ahead. The COE gave the indian protesters plenty of time over several years, now all they want is to stop this project after $3 billion was spent. The bottom line is that the protesters will NEVER BE HAPPY OR AGREE TO APPROVE ANYTHING.

posted on Dec, 4 2016 @ 10:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: chuckk
a reply to: chuckk

Also Tweet to @USACE_SWD @realdonaldtrump (Corp of Engineers & Trump) telling them that Trump will reverse the under river pipeline stop order, allow full under river pipeline construction to start now, firing the Corp of Enginneer (COE) Civil Engineers who stopped construction, fire the US Indian Affairs department thinking that this was a good idea, and insure that construction starts up with full steam ahead. The COE gave the indian protesters plenty of time over several years, now all they want is to stop this project after $3 billion was spent. The bottom line is that the protesters will NEVER BE HAPPY OR AGREE TO APPROVE ANYTHING.

That's now how the Consitution, America, or a democracy operate.

An appointed leader doesn't just "fire everyone," who disagrees with him unless they are a totalitarian tyrant.

Protesting is a basic civil right in the Consitution and should be exercised freely by "free Americans."

But we're hardly free. What's more terrifying is how people oppose our freedom. Donald Trump has nothing to do with this, but you're correct in one aspect: he would piss all over American citizens excercising their basic Consitutional rights such as protesting and continue the pipeline.

"Make America great again."

Lol.

posted on Dec, 4 2016 @ 10:24 PM
link   
Finally.

posted on Dec, 4 2016 @ 11:31 PM
link   
They will finish the pipeline.

Why because the US government will not want to pay for the part already built after losing a lawsuit.

The lawsuit will be based of a 5th and 14th amendment taking.
en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Dec, 5 2016 @ 01:04 AM
link   
Native Americans are amazing people. Wonderful people. I tell you amazing people. As president I guarantee you, I will build a wall to protect them

posted on Dec, 5 2016 @ 01:16 AM
link   

Fireworks filled the night sky, although some protesters remained cautious. Brandon Iron Hawk, from Pine Ridge Reservation in South Dakota, told DailyMail.com: ‘It’s not the end. We are not going to leave until they leave'

DM

posted on Dec, 5 2016 @ 01:22 AM
link   
Great News !

Going to Check my Reservation Akwesasne NY websites to see what they say :

As We had Hard years ourselves in the Past Decades in the Struggle from Government of the USA and Canada ..

We Felt the same Pain of Standing Rock as we Did in OKA & Whisky Trench ( after math of OKA )

Kanehsatake: 270 Years of Resistance
www.youtube.com...

Whisky Trench

v35 | Rocks at Whiskey Trench
www.youtube.com...

The Leaders of Standing Rock Know of the OKA Crisis ( Mohawks Vs The Canadian Goverment RMCP ( Royal Mount Canadian Police ) and the SQ ( French Canadian Guard )

OKA Crisis
en.wikipedia.org...

one of OUR Chiefs had been there and talked to the Leaders of Standing Rock.. and of Our Struggle ..

Akwesasne Supports Standing Rock
www.indiantime.net...

posted on Dec, 5 2016 @ 04:07 AM
link   
First off Buck that was a beautiful way to begin my morning.
Thank You to the rest of you for the kind words and understanding of the issue.

There is a dark side to all of this. Transporting oil via rail is far more risky and no doubt more environmental damage will occur as a result, than would ever occur due to a modern pipeline. They will never be able to put in a safer way to transport oil again if they can be stopped simply by trespassing, irrational, dishonest, violent activists.

The less oil we produce here in a country that has such strong environmental protections in place, the more is produced in countries that do far more environmental damage and imported from places that not only pose a greater risk, but where money supports governments that deny basic human rights. Ripples on a pond.

I will counter your thoughts by saying. No company yet has been forced to set aside enough cash for the inevitable clean-up when their pipeline has a malfunction. No company yet has ever done a FULL remediation of any site fouled by a leak. The bigger issue is while yes it's more cost effective to transport by pipeline, in reality it's easier to clean up a couple of tanker cars of crude, than thousands of gallons leaking in remote places. Plus you know right away when a rail car has an incident.

There are several ongoing clean-ups where the companies have literally walked away and left a clean up to indigenous nations. One being the Husky Spill and another one left by a mining company Grassy Narrows. The Sioux are aware of these and obviously have legitimate concerns.

This leak is ongoing up in NY state. It was originally filmed by two guys out hunting. They contacted the National Fuel Line reporting number and were told no one would even come out and look at the leak till after Christmas.

By measuring the output of the leaks, National Fuel will be able to determine if the leak has gotten worse, which could raise it from a Type 3 to a Type 2, which would require a quicker response.

“Safety is our top priority,” Merkel said.

Late Friday afternoon, Merkel said crews had measured the extent of the leak, which had not changed in over a year. It is still a Type 3 leak.

However, Merkel said, “because of the volume of calls received about this leak in light of the Facebook and YouTube videos, we are in the process of repairing it so our system isn't inundated with leak calls that does not involve an inherent safety risk.

“We simply concentrate resources on priority issues like Type 1 and 2 leaks, watered-down lines and installation of new services.”

www.oleantimesherald.com...

This is very much a typical response. What you don't understand is what looks good on paper and in theory is NEVER the actual reality when it comes to issues out in the field for these companies. Here in the Allegheny National Forest for as long as I can remember while hiking you would come across oil leaks and puddles of the stuff. Several places the natural gas is leaking to the extent you can forget having a cigarette as you hike.

Nobody cared then and still pretty much don't now.

Since the Water Walkers and all the other Nations in their individual protests have put this front and center we have a real chance to have change in our National Energy policies, to prevent another Flint Michigan and Kalamazoo River incident. This should scare everyone since there are multiple pipelines going thru the Mackinac Straits under TWO Great Lakes and being over 50 years old are past their expected lifetimes.

This is much more complicated than just bashing people for trespass and being vocal about our rights to clean drinking water.

posted on Dec, 5 2016 @ 04:36 AM
link   
a reply to: Wolfenz

Everyone here should watch his links.
I had a longer post but it got 'lost"....

Oka is near and dear to my heart. I had friends there and went to pay my respects in 2005.

posted on Dec, 5 2016 @ 04:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: tikbalang
a reply to: Caver78

Maybe the Indigenous people have a protector they dont know about?

Well, no, they know Obama ultimately didn't approve the completion of the pipeline - but you won't hear too much about that on here because people don't seem to like giving praise where it's due.

Sadly however, Trump not only supports the project as it stands and as far as I'm aware also holds shares in the company building the pipeline.

www.bbc.co.uk...

posted on Dec, 5 2016 @ 06:15 AM
link   
Happy to hear this. Couldn't have asked for a better pre-birthday gift. I know not everyone agrees, but I wish peace and good things upon both sides of that divide.

Peace.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join