It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dec. 4th 1619, Pre-Pilgrims Thanksgiving day, after Coronado's 1541, America is a Hispanic Nation?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 8 2016 @ 06:07 PM
link   
a reply to: Byrd

Dear Byrd,

I am extremely cautious to post information in any thread, not only on any mine but in all I decide to participate in, without confirming beyond any reasonable doubt if it is really accurate.

I am a professional researcher in my life, so I don't feel comfortable speculating on things that are part of a well defined body of knowledge, and History is among them.

This does not mean that I feel that we must come here only if we have a kind of academic credential on the field we are discussing, I myself do not have a degree in Archaeology but certainly in Engineering, Mathematics and Statistics. I am friend of people that are in search for knowledge, as a matter of fact I think we all never stop to learn, there is always something new to grasp.

Now, concerning what you have posted I can say that although it has a portion of truth, it is not really a precise statement. Thanksgiving day was not established by President Abraham Lincoln, it was just fixed in time. He determined that it was going to celebrated all the years in the same Thursday of November.

Who actually made it official celebration in America was The very first President of the United States, not under the Constitution, but when the country was already proclaimed its independence from Britain.

It was John Hanson, First President of the United States, by mandate originated in the Continental Congress of Philadelphia who in official proclaim created a National Holiday for Thanksgiving. That happened in October 11th of 1782.

Please check:

www.cbn.com...

PROCLAMATION.

It being the indispensable duty of all nations, not only to offer up their supplications to Almighty God, the giver of all good, for His gracious assistance in a time of distress, but also in a solemn and public manner, to give Him praise for His goodness in general, and especially for great and signal interpositions of His Providence in their behalf; therefore, the Unites States in Congress assembled, taking into their consideration the many instances of Divine goodness to these States in the course of the important conflict, in which they have been so long engaged, - the present happy and promising state of public affairs, and the events of the war in the course of the year now drawing to a close; particularly the harmony of the public Councils which is so necessary to the success of the public cause, - the perfect union and good understanding which has hitherto subsisted between them and their allies, notwithstanding the artful and unwearied attempts of the common enemy to divide them, - the success of the arms of the United States and those of their allies, - and the acknowledgment of their Independence by another European power, whose friendship and commerce must be of great and lasting advantage to these States; Do hereby recommend it to the inhabitants of these States in general, to observe and request the several states to interpose their authority, in appointing and commanding the observation of THURSDAY the TWENTY-EIGHTH DAY OF NOVEMBER next as a day of SOLEMN THANKSGIVING to GOD for all His mercies; and they do further recommend to all ranks to testify their gratitude to God for His goodness by a cheerful obedience to His laws and by promoting, each in his station, and by his influence, the practice of true and undefiled religion, which is the great foundation of public prosperity and national happiness. Done in Congress at Philadelphia, the eleventh day of October, in the year of our LORD, one thousand seven hundred and eighty-two, and of our Sovereignty and Independence, the seventh.

JOHN HANSON, President

Now, this refers to a day to observe as a Holiday for Thanksgiving every year, celebrated annually, but even that date is not the very first time the nation was called to dedicate a Thanksgiving day for an extraordinary event.

In December 18th of 1777 the Continental congress also through a proclaim called for a special Thanksgiving day to celebrate the victory of the patriots in the battle of Saratoga (Occurred in October of 1777) .

Please check:
www.history.com...

the National Thanksgiving Day Proclamation of the Second Continental Congress of November 1, 1777, setting aside Thursday December 18, 1777 for such a day. This was published in the Journals of the Continental Congress.

Please check:
biblescripture.net...

FORASMUCH as it is the indispensable Duty of all Men to adore the superintending Providence of Almighty God; to acknowledge with Gratitude their Obligation to him for benefits received, and to implore such farther Blessings as they stand in Need of; And it having pleased him in his abundant Mercy not only to continue to us the innumerable Bounties of his common Providence, but also to smile upon us in the Prosecution of a just and necessary War, for the Defence and Establishment of our unalienable Rights and Liberties; particularly in that he hath been pleased in so great a Measure to prosper the Means used for the Support of our Troops and to crown our Arms with most signal success: It is therefore recommended to the legislative or executive powers of these United States, to set apart Thursday, the eighteenth Day of December next, for Solemn Thanksgiving and Praise; That with one Heart and one Voice the good People may express the grateful Feelings of their Hearts, and consecrate themselves to the Service of their Divine Benefactor; and that together with their sincere Acknowledgments and Offerings, they may join the penitent Confession of their manifold Sins, whereby they had forfeited every Favour, and their humble and earnest Supplication that it may please God, through the Merits of Jesus Christ, mercifully to forgive and blot them out of Remembrance; That it may please him graciously to afford his Blessing on the Governments of these States respectively, and prosper the public Council of the whole; to inspire our Commanders both by Land and Sea, and all under them, with that Wisdom and Fortitude which may render them fit Instruments, under the Providence of Almighty God, to secure for these United States the greatest of all human blessings, Independence and Peace; That it may please him to prosper the Trade and Manufactures of the People and the Labour of the Husbandman, that our Land may yet yield its Increase; To take Schools and Seminaries of Education, so necessary for cultivating the Principles of true Liberty, Virtue and Piety, under his nurturing Hand, and to prosper the Means of Religion for the promotion and enlargement of that Kingdom which consisteth in Righteousness, Peace and Joy in the Holy Ghost. And it is further recommended, that servile Labour, and such Recreation as, though at other Times innocent, may be unbecoming the Purpose of this Appointment, be omitted on so solemn an Occasion. Charles Thomson, Secretary.

Please check:
providencefoundation.com...

Thanks for your attention,

The Angel of Lightness
edit on 12/8/2016 by The angel of light because: (no reason given)

new topics

<< 1   >>

join