It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Virginia high school banned “To Kill a Mockingbird” “Adventures of Huckleberry Finn”

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 4 2016 @ 03:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: RomeByFire

Go play Grand Theft Auto V and if the "n word," offends you (I'm white btw) - you're gonna be in for a bad time. But it makes sense in the contextual storytelling there within.

There is no way my kid will play Grand Theft Auto - - - if I have anything to do with it.

And it better not become a class in school.

posted on Dec, 4 2016 @ 03:36 PM
link   
a reply to: Annee

It's a wondrous thing, the destruction of language, don't you agree Smith?

posted on Dec, 4 2016 @ 03:37 PM
link   

What about religious texts?

posted on Dec, 4 2016 @ 03:38 PM
link   
a reply to: RomeByFire

There are always a small minority of HS students who will end up going on to be great people. It is for those students that teachers must teach

Many of the other students will go on to college but will never be great thinkers.

Personally when our kids were in HS we limited gaming to about 30 minutes a day. Our kids turned out great.

Parents need to parent and teachers need to teach

link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

History is filled with hatred and prejudice.

"To Kill a Mockingbird" is a book that clearly illustrates overcoming it.

But continue justifying censorship.

I do not need my kid exposed to the wording in the original Classic.

He can read the modernized modified version.

If he wants to read the original when he turns 18 - - that's fine.

+19 more 
link   

Banning the original classics with their inappropriate wordings from a era gone by - - - is the right thing to do.

What abject nonsense. Imagine some puritan right-winger determining which words were innappropriate or not. We don't let left-wing puritans censor books for the very same reason.

posted on Dec, 4 2016 @ 03:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: Annee

originally posted by: RomeByFire

Go play Grand Theft Auto V and if the "n word," offends you (I'm white btw) - you're gonna be in for a bad time. But it makes sense in the contextual storytelling there within.

There is no way my kid will play Grand Theft Auto - - - if I have anything to do with it.

And it better not become a class in school.

What better not become a class in school? GTA? I don't think Rockstar (the game developers) would want any part in that lol... if that's what you're getting at.

I don't care how you raise your kids. Just please give me the courtesy of the same respect, is all I ask.

I've played GTA since before I was in the double digits and I work full-time and finished college (plan on going back in the near future, as well).

posted on Dec, 4 2016 @ 03:43 PM
link   
For the people offended by the words in the book, while ignoring the context of the message portrayed in the book...

Well I wonder if they keep their kids from listening rap, or hip hop... many TV shows, a lot of movies, radio (in general)... oh and cant go to the mall either.

I have heard a lot worse in all of the above mentioned situations.

posted on Dec, 4 2016 @ 03:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: Wildbob77

There are always a small minority of HS students who will end up going on to be great people. It is for those students that teachers must teach

Many of the other students will go on to college but will never be great thinkers.

Personally when our kids were in HS we limited gaming to about 30 minutes a day. Our kids turned out great.

And the blame needs to be placed on the parents of the "lazy entitled generation that don't work for nuthin."

Parents stopped being parents before I was born. They replaced parenting with letting the TV doing the parenting and letting "the school," do all the teaching.

It's a joke - and these same people blame the KIDS and YOUNG ADULTS who were never properly raised/taught anything about "the real world," if you will.

Its the ultimate irony to see a failed parenting generation blame their children for their lack of parenting skills, or at least in my opinion.

link   
One of the best ways to get kids to read something is to ban it.

I'll never forget "Lolita" by V. Nobakov

link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

You know , Hitler's Nazi Germany was Fond of Book Banning and Burning as a Way to Squash Free Thinking and Free Speech . In this case , the Reasons given for Denying the Teaching of the History of American Culture to the Next Generation is due to the Ignorance of the Few who have Politizised American History out of their Own sense of Revising it because of the Social Beliefs of a Bygone Day that are Frowned on Today . People Cannot just Change the Past because they somehow don't Agree with it , Good or Bad it has come to past whether they Acknowlege it or Not .

posted on Dec, 4 2016 @ 03:46 PM
link   
One of many reasons why parents should not rely on the public education system to be the sole means by which their children learn.

Parents, be sure to educate your kids at home as well! If you want something to be done correctly, you have to share the responsibility.

link   

originally posted by: Wildbob77

My kid is a story teller.

He's been creating and making his own videos since about age 7.

I review everything. There can be no bad words and nothing controversial in bad taste. Reason is: what ever you put on the internet will be there for life. It can affect your future. I've taught him to keep a writing pad next to him - - - which he can say whatever he wants - - - but, NEVER on the internet.

Reminds me of comedians. I really admire those that can do a clean show. It takes a lot more creativity to present something G rated. Anyone can stand up and say "F" this - - "F" that.

------------------------------------------------------------------

So, absolutely NO - - - I would not want my kid reading the Original Classics - - until they are older.

+2 more 
link   

I fully supported the Classics

This was a Hardy Boys book

Since when did the Hardy Boys get elevated to the same level as Samuel Clemens?

+5 more 
link   
a reply to: Irishhaf

The same people that laud rap lyrics want to ban books with the same words.

posted on Dec, 4 2016 @ 03:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zanti Misfit

You know , Hitler's Nazi Germany was Fond of Book Banning and Burning as a Way to Squash Free Thinking and Free Speech.

There are kid friendly versions of all the Classics.

They are not banned.

posted on Dec, 4 2016 @ 03:49 PM
link   

Yup precisely why I have an ever growing supply of Whiskey and scotch... its the only way I can deal with the stupidity.

posted on Dec, 4 2016 @ 03:50 PM
link   
Certain groups of people are sure fearful of harmless words these days.

Is the Inquisition back or something?
edit on -060003pm12kpm by Ohanka because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 4 2016 @ 03:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

I fully supported the Classics

This was a Hardy Boys book

Since when did the Hardy Boys get elevated to the same level as Samuel Clemens?

Well, it surprised me too.

It was quite a shock to read those words in a Hardy Boys story.

posted on Dec, 4 2016 @ 03:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: Irishhaf
For the people offended by the words in the book, while ignoring the context of the message portrayed in the book...

Well I wonder if they keep their kids from listening rap, or hip hop... many TV shows, a lot of movies, radio (in general)... oh and cant go to the mall either.

I have heard a lot worse in all of the above mentioned situations.

I don't think older generations really understand the influence that rap/hip-hop has and I don't think many people either really "know," what kind of rap and the extent of how stupid/bad it is.

I mean I'm a pretty laid back dude and believe me, nothing really "offends me." Some of the # that my friends listen to, though, makes me want to kill myself.

Here's an example.

Be aware - this music sucks. It's horrible.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join