It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Virginia high school banned “To Kill a Mockingbird” “Adventures of Huckleberry Finn”

page: 27
<< 24  25  26    28  29  30 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 6 2016 @ 03:07 PM
link   
IMO Having the book banned,modified, or modernized is basically saying this......

That kids are to stupid to understand the difference between now and then..Or, that we should pretend "then/history" didn't exist the way it did.

I grew up with Gone With the Wind and to this day it is still my favorite book and movie...

My kids have scene it and guess what? They are not racist, nor am I. And, guess what we do? We have discussions!! We actually sit down and talk about the way things were in the past and the way things are in the present. But, guess what else? I teach them not just by words but by actions too.

People shouldn't shelter kids.They are not stupid they have the ability to understand a lot more than people give them credit for. When a kid reads books like these it is the perfect opportunity to discuss why these things are bad. Explain it to them, help them learn, don't gloss over it,they might end up hearing and learning things differently from people who might tell them the book is right......
edit on 6-12-2016 by misfit312 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2016 @ 03:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: Lysergic
Meh.

Everyone's into erotic fan-fiction for the past decade anyways.

I was banned from the last site I was on for writing about Woody The Woodpecker.

posted on Dec, 6 2016 @ 03:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheAlleghenyGentleman
When did parents start to decide the curriculum for a teacher?

Why should one parent dictate the way a teachers class is being taught?

Some random schmoe should not be trying to change the curriculum unilaterally. They should run for the school board and recruit like minded ninnies who want to bubble wrap their endangered children's coconuts in an insulating cocoon to protect them from words. Then they can dictate the curriculum, and if it is close-minded drivel like the asshat in the Original Post we can ridicule them like they deserve.

Short of that they should piss off.

edit on 6-12-2016 by AugustusMasonicus because: networkdude has no beer

posted on Dec, 6 2016 @ 03:10 PM
link   
a reply to: TheAlleghenyGentleman

If a parent wants to coddle their child, it is their right.

But when parents start deciding what MY child should read, then I take that as an invitation to throat-punch the idiots.

posted on Dec, 6 2016 @ 03:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy
But when parents start deciding what MY child should read, then I take that as an invitation to throat-punch the idiots.

Idiot throat-punching should be an Olympic sport. I would be the Michael Phelps of this event.

posted on Dec, 6 2016 @ 03:12 PM
link   
a reply to: jjsr420

I can't find a transcript - I'm sorry. It's worth listening to. If only because it's easier to understand that she's not a monster. I'm not sure why they've decided to pursue this, but it's not the first time. The discussion about the books is just as useful as the actual books

I don't think she's right in her thinking - for what it's worth. But I absolutely understand her concerns. Also, it's not like this hasn't come up before

The racial slurs in "The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn" and "To Kill a Mockingbird" are reopening debate about the value of uncomfortable conversations in the classroom.

"The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn" and "To Kill a Mockingbird" are no strangers to the American Library Association’s most banned books list, nor are they unfamiliar to the millions of American teenagers who read them each year as part of their schools’ curricula. The fight over whether these books remain valuable teaching tools decades, even a century, after publication is longstanding and complex. How should schools approach such material, if at all?

As questions of political correctness, historical whitewashing, and the merits of uncomfortable learning continue to trouble school administrators around the country, this incident serves as an example of how difficult it is for educators to reconcile the literary and historical value of novels such as "Huck Finn" with sensitivity towards those who have experienced prejudice.

"The only way to teach these books properly is to be uncomfortable," Nel tells the Monitor. "That is why these books should not be banned."

"We need to provide resources and support for teachers to know how to curate difficult conversations," says Greene. "We cannot expect teachers and professors to do a good job of dealing with sensitive material unless we give them support on how to deal with these conversations."

Really not much more to say about this - it's all been said in this thread and out there

I'm very curious to see which way they go

edit on 12/6/2016 by Spiramirabilis because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2016 @ 03:15 PM
link   
a reply to: Spiramirabilis

I would love to, but my computer is down.

posted on Dec, 6 2016 @ 03:18 PM
link   
I remember tipper gore and her parents action group seeking to censor the music industry...
You know, for the children..

The irony in all of this the liberals purport to be open to all ideas when, as Annee and tipper prove, they are open ONLY to whatever newspeak they deem appropriate..

I'm sure Annee would feel the same if I wanted to ban a particular book whose protagonist calls for murdering gays, apostates, and as a fun aside, he bangs an 8 year old he married at age 59....he tried to consummate the marriage when she was 6 but, spoiler alert, children barely older than a toddler aren't ready for intercourse with sociopathic pedophiles...

Anyhow, where was I...oh yeah, hypocrites...

Liberals are obsessed with banning EVERYTHING not in lockstep with liberalism...
Which would be fine if they just owned it...
Don't ban everything then tell me republicans are the one wanting to control thought...it's y'all so shut up and simply admit you are the weak minded fools who need censorship...

Progressives spit in our faces and call it rain....it's their ironic, hypocritical ethos...

-Chris

posted on Dec, 6 2016 @ 03:21 PM
link   
a reply to: Annee

The "modification" of books.

This is an idea you having been pitching since the beginning of this thread.

Would you modify Mozart? Would you modify the Ancient Greek wing at the MET?

The answer is no because you believe those to be safe art. Are they really safe art? Wasn't Mozart cutting edge and controversial in his time?

Do you believe the nudity of ancient sculptures to be obscene?

Mark Twain is a national treasure. He wrote every word for a reason.

He is a master of the English language. One does not simply remove or change the words of a master wordsmith.

www.jstor.org...-page_scan_tab_contents

posted on Dec, 6 2016 @ 03:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: Christosterone
You know, for the children..

You know, just for the children, I went and re-speed read both books. Here are my updated reviews based on their contents.

The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn:

To Kill a Mockingbird:

posted on Dec, 6 2016 @ 03:28 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

Yes, of course.

Throat punching will make it so those parents can't voice an opinion and that is probably for the best.

People are stupid. You only have maybe 14-16 years to parent your children before they turn off. Then you begin just being a sort of guide for your kid.

I mean kids are stupid too. Like really stupid. If they aren't shown discipline and strength they will go through this world like a floundering moron.

posted on Dec, 6 2016 @ 03:29 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Retired?

posted on Dec, 6 2016 @ 03:32 PM
link   

Yes sir, that's how it's done. School board or mass ridicule, I concur.

posted on Dec, 6 2016 @ 03:32 PM
link   

Michelangelo's "David" should be modified.

He has his "junk" out and it's a micro-aggression.

posted on Dec, 6 2016 @ 03:33 PM
link   
a reply to: Spiramirabilis

I'm no longer interested. Yes - this part is true. I'm not blaming you for anything. I just don't owe you another version of things I've already said. If you're not interested in knowing what those things are - what can I say? Read them or don't. I'm moving on

But you refuse to answer a simple yes and no question. What can I say?

Exactly. Either way - there is no contract between the school and the student that promises them one thing or another. These things get decided by committees - parents - a whole lot of people. It's still up for discussion.

It is up for discussion, but in the meantime the book has been banned with no discussion whatsoever.

Now you're just being silly

It would be a mistake to remove them. My opinion. We don't know that they will

In the meantime - no crime has been committed. By the left - or the right

They already have removed them.

posted on Dec, 6 2016 @ 03:40 PM
link   

I believe the simpsons already covered that one.

link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

Michelangelo's "David" should be modified.

He has his "junk" out and it's a micro-aggression.

I just want to add, that the statue of David can be put anywhere, and it is art.

I do it at a Denny's and people call the cops.

link   

originally posted by: TheAlleghenyGentleman
Retired?

An Olympic god.

posted on Dec, 6 2016 @ 03:43 PM
link   

You should try Central Park or anywhere on the 7 train.

posted on Dec, 6 2016 @ 03:47 PM
link   

That's because of his freaky a$$ body dimensions.

www.scienceabc.com...
edit on 6-12-2016 by TheAlleghenyGentleman because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 24  25  26    28  29  30 >>

join