It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Virginia high school banned “To Kill a Mockingbird” “Adventures of Huckleberry Finn”

page: 25
<< 22  23  24    26  27  28 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 6 2016 @ 01:40 PM
link   
a reply to: Annee

So you are obviously all for it.

I, of course am against it.

posted on Dec, 6 2016 @ 01:40 PM
link   
a reply to: Spiramirabilis

I'm sorry but I don't read all your posts, nor am I interested in doing so.

Do you or do you not agree that society should be free to question authority, custom, culture, law and established rules?

Yes. Questioning is one thing, banning is another.

posted on Dec, 6 2016 @ 01:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

So you are obviously all for it.

I, of course am against it.

I am against banning books.

However, I do not want my kid FORCED to read a book that says the "N" word over 200 times.

IMO He does not need those thoughts in his head. Once somethings in your head, its there permanently.

If schools want to cover that time/era and the struggles of race - - - there are plenty of non-fiction history books.

posted on Dec, 6 2016 @ 01:47 PM
link   

It's okay for you to decide for your kid.

It is never okay for you to decide for my kid.

Ever.

On anything.

posted on Dec, 6 2016 @ 01:51 PM
link   
a reply to: LesMisanthrope

I'm sorry but I don't read all your posts, nor am I interested in doing so.

Of course you're not - I can see why

The books haven't been banned. They have been removed temporarily while the situation is discussed. Just the way it should be

If there's an actual ban? That might be a thread where we can both be on the same side

Same as this one minus the whining about the wretched left :-)

posted on Dec, 6 2016 @ 01:57 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

You're making a decision for other parents kids - same as that

You believe you're right - and there should be no discussion

Communities need to be able to come to an agreement about different things. Once decisions are made it should be possible to reexamine them

Or do you not think people have a right to question something you believe in?

Don't worry Cowboy - I know you're not going to answer. You have your principles after all :-)

posted on Dec, 6 2016 @ 01:59 PM
link   

The books haven't been banned. They have been removed temporarily while the situation is discussed. Just the way it should be

If there's an actual ban? That might be a thread where we can both be on the same side

Same as this one minus the whining about the wretched left :-)

Your choice of euphemism doesn't change the fact that the book is officially prohibited from being accessed. In other words, banned. But here we are on opposing sides. I wonder why?

posted on Dec, 6 2016 @ 02:01 PM
link   

some very smart lawyer will use this example

posted on Dec, 6 2016 @ 02:08 PM
link   

Your choice of euphemism doesn't change the fact that the book is officially prohibited from being accessed. In other words, banned. But here we are on opposing sides. I wonder why?

Since you're not interested in what I've said in this thread previously - I don't owe you a deeper conversation than you're willing to have

I will ask you this: Is the school obligated to provide the students access to these books?

Have these students had their civil rights violated?

posted on Dec, 6 2016 @ 02:10 PM
link   

You're a damned liar.

I am not forcing anyone to read anything.

posted on Dec, 6 2016 @ 02:15 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

You're a damned liar.

How is that a lie? What makes it a lie?

You say nobody can force your kid to do anything you don't approve of. You're asking parents with views that are different from yours to conform to your wishes. Same as that

The school isn't forcing her child to read anything. She's concerned that it's a part of the curriculum and asked a simple question: can we decide not to use this book? Are there other books that we can use that can teach the same lesson in a different way?

You gonna call her a liar too?

:-)

edit on 12/6/2016 by Spiramirabilis because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2016 @ 02:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

It's okay for you to decide for your kid.

Ever.

On anything.

If you want your kid to read it, fine. I'm only saying I don't want it FORCED.

It should not be REQUIRED reading. IMO. There are millions of books to choose from. Does not need to be this one.

My kid is high functioning Autistic. It's more like ADHD then the classical Autism. He will magnify controversial stuff.

These kids don't quite grasp appropriate and in-appropriate. They don't need combustible fuel.

To the average person he seems like every other kid. They only notice he's highly intelligent and a quick thinker.

posted on Dec, 6 2016 @ 02:16 PM
link   

Since you're not interested in what I've said in this thread previously - I don't owe you a deeper conversation than you're willing to have

This is another way of saying you're not willing a conversation, let alone a deep one, but trying to blame me for it. I am interested in having conversation, not reading your past ones.

I will ask you this: Is the school obligated to provide the students access to these books?

No, nor are they obligated to prohibit access to these books either.

Have these students had their civil rights violated?

No, nor were their civil rights violated by being able to access the books.

posted on Dec, 6 2016 @ 02:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: Annee
I am against banning books.

No you are not:

Banning the original classics with their inappropriate wordings from a era gone by - - - is the right thing to do.

You are for banning books that have words you do not like.

edit on 6-12-2016 by AugustusMasonicus because: never go in against a Sicilian with death is on the line

posted on Dec, 6 2016 @ 02:21 PM
link   
A healthy alternative

posted on Dec, 6 2016 @ 02:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: JanAmosComenius

Are you real???? Yes, you are and I said you once good bye. Sorry to disturb you again. No, you are not real. You are my nightmare.

You seem to have an issue with me.

This is a discussion board.

My opinions/viewpoints are as valid as anyone else's.

However, you have the right to ignore me and not respond.

The only thing I want to say about this is:

Once, many had the opinion that it was ok to own other humans. Is that opinion as valid as the one that says we shouldn't own other humans? Obviously not.

Once, it was opinion that you, as a woman, shouldn't vote. Or that your husband forcing himself upon you was ok. It that your place was in the home; quiet, and submissive. Any of those opinions ad valid as the opinion that were all equal? Obviously not.

No. Not all opinions are as valid as others, nor do they all deserve respect.

Its my opinion that your opinion is garbage. Will you say my opinion is just as valid as yours?

Its my opinion that your child should have the exact same rights as you, and that parental rights are idiotic. Is that opinion as valid as yours?

posted on Dec, 6 2016 @ 02:28 PM
link   
a reply to: jjsr420

Once, many had the opinion that it was ok to own other humans. Is that opinion as valid as the one that says we shouldn't own other humans? Obviously not.

Spoil sport

sadface...

posted on Dec, 6 2016 @ 02:28 PM
link   
DP
edit on 6-12-2016 by kibric because: naughty

posted on Dec, 6 2016 @ 02:30 PM
link   
a reply to: kibric

Just pointing out that not all opinions are equal, valid, or deserving of respect.

posted on Dec, 6 2016 @ 02:31 PM
link   

This is another way of saying you're not willing a conversation, let alone a deep one, but trying to blame me for it. I am interested in having conversation, not reading your past ones.

I'm no longer interested. Yes - this part is true. I'm not blaming you for anything. I just don't owe you another version of things I've already said. If you're not interested in knowing what those things are - what can I say? Read them or don't. I'm moving on

No, nor are they obligated to prohibit access to these books either.

Exactly. Either way - there is no contract between the school and the student that promises them one thing or another. These things get decided by committees - parents - a whole lot of people. It's still up for discussion

No, nor were their civil rights violated by being able to access the books.

Now you're just being silly

It would be a mistake to remove them. My opinion. We don't know that they will

In the meantime - no crime has been committed. By the left - or the right
edit on 12/6/2016 by Spiramirabilis because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 22  23  24    26  27  28 >>

join