It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Virginia high school banned “To Kill a Mockingbird” “Adventures of Huckleberry Finn”

page: 23
<< 20  21  22    24  25  26 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 6 2016 @ 11:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: JanAmosComenius
a reply to: Spiramirabilis

Everybody is entitled to have opinion. But if you are engaged in policy discussion, you should use some common tools like logic. Annee is right to be offended by those books, and she supplied "reason" why she is offended. But I do not understand it. May be in your words. What is bad on those books?

Again, you have an extreme imagination.

When exactly did I claim to be offended by these books?

posted on Dec, 6 2016 @ 11:04 AM
link   
a reply to: Martin75

THANK YOU

I always wanted to know what it feels like to be a special snowflake, now I do!!!!

posted on Dec, 6 2016 @ 11:04 AM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

It's a safe space and a very artificial one.

Your OP is dishonest

So, the bubble you create for yourself involves deceit

A Virginia school district has pulled copies of “To Kill a Mockingbird” and “The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn” from classrooms and libraries while it weighs whether it should permanently ban the American classics because of the books’ use of racial slurs.

In response to a formal complaint from a parent, Accomack County Public Schools Superintendent Chris Holland said the district has appointed a committee to recommend whether the books should remain in the curriculum and stay in school libraries. District policy calls for the formation of the committee — which can include a principal, teachers and parents — when a parent formally files a complaint.

This is how they're going to handle it. Please explain how it's been banned?

If a kid shows up in class with a copy of this book - will they be punished?

Is the school obligated to provide copies of this book?

Is it also obligated to provide copies of Playboy?

Nevertheless, the fact that these books make many students and teachers uncomfortable is not a reason not to teach them, Nel says. In fact, the very discomfort that they provoke can be incredibly helpful in the hands of a sensitive teacher who can guide students through the experience and create greater dialogue.

Does teaching these books, or other examples of difficult and uncomfortable racially charged literature, mean that teachers are condoning this language? Of course not, many literature experts say – in fact, for many teachers, avoiding such stories would amount to erasing the reality of racism. The real challenge, they say, is that the outcome of any lesson depends largely on the teachers involved. "I think the key point to make here is that the burden of freedom of speech is not borne equally by all people. African-American students hear those words differently – the argument for banning the books is that the white kids don’t bear the burden of freedom of speech in the same way," Philip Nel, a professor of English at Kansas State University who specializes in children's literature, tells The Christian Science Monitor.

Dr. Nel says that while "Huck Finn," for example, is often touted as a great American classic, it is certainly not progressive insofar as it portrays African-American characters as racist stereotypes.

There's more than one way of looking at this

Are you suggesting that this shouldn't even be up for discussion?

Are you saying that temporarily removing these books while it's up for discussion is not an act of diplomacy - and is the same thing as a ban?

One more time - how is it a ban?

edit on 12/6/2016 by Spiramirabilis because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2016 @ 11:13 AM
link   
a reply to: Annee

Why "instead"? I'm agnostic and I do not want to ban Bible. Why do you want to ban Mark Twain?

posted on Dec, 6 2016 @ 11:15 AM
link   
a reply to: JanAmosComenius

Everybody is entitled to have opinion. But if you are engaged in policy discussion, you should use some common tools like logic. Annee is right to be offended by those books, and she supplied "reason" why she is offended.

I agree - logic

We're not discussing the content of the books here as much as we're discussing who has the right to question what's acceptable

I personally believe that if you tell someone they're not allowed to question something - it's no better than telling people they need to ban a book. It's the same thing

But I do not understand it. May be in your words. What is bad on those books?

I personally don't think there's anything bad about them. That's me personally

I'm willing to hear what other people have to say. Sometimes in the process of discussing things people's minds can be changed. Context is useful too

This woman has a biracial child that was hurt by the words in that book

Its up to a good teacher to provide context, promote discussion - and thinking

I provided an audio further back of the entire meeting. If you listen to her - you might understand where she's coming from. This is the part that our OP doesn't understand. This is a real human being with real concerns, taking her issue directly to the school and asking them to consider what she's saying

She hasn't demanded anything

As far as our OP is concerned she's only a moron and a simpleton that wants to ban books

Do you see the problem with that - so far as freedom of expression goes?
edit on 12/6/2016 by Spiramirabilis because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2016 @ 11:19 AM
link   

Why "instead"? I'm agnostic and I do not want to ban Bible. Why do you want to ban Mark Twain?

For one thing it repeats the "N" word 200 times.

What is the significance of my kid reading a book about a time 80 years ago with Southern attitudes toward blacks.

He does not need those thoughts forced into his head by his school.

Now - - I listed several books about LGBT. That is significant and current to his life.

How many who fight for Huck Finn are going to accept those books as required reading?

posted on Dec, 6 2016 @ 11:26 AM
link   

Still I do not understand it. Because somebody is offended, two of masterpieces should be banned?

But this argumentation was done in this thread again and again.

posted on Dec, 6 2016 @ 11:30 AM
link   

Are you real???? Yes, you are and I said you once good bye. Sorry to disturb you again. No, you are not real. You are my nightmare.

posted on Dec, 6 2016 @ 11:35 AM
link   

Are you real???? Yes, you are and I said you once good bye. Sorry to disturb you again. No, you are not real. You are my nightmare.

You seem to have an issue with me.

This is a discussion board.

My opinions/viewpoints are as valid as anyone else's.

However, you have the right to ignore me and not respond.

posted on Dec, 6 2016 @ 11:42 AM
link   
I want NOTHING banned. EVER. Im a book freak.. I have a real love for books. Not just their contents or authors, but the tactile sensation of holding a book and turning its pages as I read. I dont think kids should be forced to read anything. Give them a choice of things that are required and let them and their parents choose out of that, but dont ever set the horrible bar of banning a book.

posted on Dec, 6 2016 @ 11:42 AM
link   

First eight years of my life I lived in "communist" regime. What you are presenting is same line of thinking.

posted on Dec, 6 2016 @ 11:48 AM
link   
a reply to: JanAmosComenius

First eight years of my life I lived in "communist" regime. What you are presenting is same line of thinking.

In that communist regime - were people also allowed to openly question something like this?

Here in the United States, at least for the time being - conversation can go both ways

posted on Dec, 6 2016 @ 11:48 AM
link   

I wonder why it is you can't be honest about history - or human nature?

Have I said otherwise? Why can't you be honest about the present?

posted on Dec, 6 2016 @ 11:49 AM
link   
a reply to: Advantage

I agree. Once we start justifying a ban here, a ban there, then we've lost.

posted on Dec, 6 2016 @ 11:52 AM
link   
a reply to: Indigo5

Why are you repeating that lie after we just got done explaining your fake headline?

Two classic American novels have been temporarily banned from a Virginia school district after a parent raised concerns about the use of a racial slur.

Source

posted on Dec, 6 2016 @ 12:00 PM
link   
a reply to: LesMisanthrope

In the same way you might be "temporarily banned" from a flight while you wait for security screening.

The school board has not made any decision yet and has pulled the book until they deliberate on the formal complaint.

The OP headline falsely inferred a decision had been reached.

edit on 6-12-2016 by Indigo5 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2016 @ 12:03 PM
link   

Yes, they were "allowed". And notions like Annees were ... ridiculled. Left, right ... somebody is dictating what you can read or not. Humans puke in this situation globally. Annee is syndrom of human nature.

posted on Dec, 6 2016 @ 12:04 PM
link   

How is not making it required reading the same?

How is not forcing kids to read it the same?

The book will never be banned. It will always be available for anyone who wants to read it - - or any parent who wants their kid to read it.

posted on Dec, 6 2016 @ 12:05 PM
link   
a reply to: Indigo5

No, 'temporarily banned' as in one cannot access this book.

posted on Dec, 6 2016 @ 12:05 PM
link   
a reply to: LesMisanthrope

I am well aware of the Puritanism of the right, and we can go back In time to face them together. But now, it isn't the right we have to worry about...yet.

I think we have much to worry about from the right as well - now:

Trump’s Flag Burning Tweet Is an Attack on the Most American of Values—the Freedom to Dissent

new topics

top topics

<< 20  21  22    24  25  26 >>

join