It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Virginia high school banned “To Kill a Mockingbird” “Adventures of Huckleberry Finn”

page: 21
<< 18  19  20    22  23  24 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 6 2016 @ 09:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: seagull
a reply to: TrueBrit

Annee proposed she read those books. She is quite intelligent and with lot of experience. Her arguments for "ban" are bit esotheric and I simply do not understand her reasoning.

Now I'm afraid: Will that child be ever allowed to go to Street?

edit on 6-12-2016 by JanAmosComenius because: (no reason given)

edit on 6-12-2016 by JanAmosComenius because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2016 @ 09:13 AM
link   
a reply to: seagull

That is as maybe.

But these things, bannings of this, prohibition of that, they always get thrown in the face of people like myself, who advocate for genuinely left leaning political agendas, not the nonsense people associate with that paradigm, but the real stuff. This ban will no doubt be used by the political right to excuse all sorts of ridiculous behaviour, incorrect social commentary, and will be a part of the way the narrative is spun against the left for the next four years.

I say this not because it is convenient to me to do so for the purposes of this discussion, but because it will be one twinkling LED in the next set of headlights that pins my political ideology against the tarmac, and is unjustly used to scorn it, despite having nothing to do with it. I can see it coming as clearly as a storm on the horizon.

posted on Dec, 6 2016 @ 09:18 AM
link   
a reply to: UKTruth

Yep, book burning liberals. Not only are living people who disagree with their fascist ideology under attack, but everyone who ever lived or expressed any dissenting thought. I would say the mindset of current progressive movement has gone beyond even their pre World War II inspirations, Hitler and Mussolini. If they had been allowed to consolidate power further I am sure their actions would have too.

How do you know the woman is liberal? How do you know the school board is liberal?

Wow

I guess since she's the mother of a biracial kid she must be - right? Well, even if she is a liberal, it's one woman that started this whole thing. There is no angry, torch bearing mob

Also - the school has a procedure they have to follow. It's not exactly Fahrenheit 451 now is it?

I'm thinking she knows she's making an impossible request. I feel for her

Here's the actual real life audio - she speaks at the beginning

posted on Dec, 6 2016 @ 09:28 AM
link   
Rant:

You are dreaming about society, where everything is OK. In Annees universe it is situation where sibling is fenced off the real world. She/He is only 9 year old and it is not yet right time to disturb His/Her circles. By AHF and TKAM?
So when would be the right time and which meanings should be used?

Our society is ugly and hostile.

posted on Dec, 6 2016 @ 09:34 AM
link   
Kids raised with dogs are not afraid of dogs.

posted on Dec, 6 2016 @ 09:47 AM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

Nice piece of Culture war click bait!

Virginia high school banned “To Kill a Mockingbird” “Adventures of Huckleberry Finn”

EXCEPT:
(A) It's not "banned"
(B) They have a policy that when a parent files a formal complaint with the school board, they assemble a committee and review whether or not the book is appropriate and come to a formal conclusion

Which seems in keeping with States Rights and letting local school districts determine things for themselves?
Or are you suggesting local schools should be stripped of that prerogative?

In response to a formal complaint from a parent, Accomack County Public Schools Superintendent Chris Holland said the district has appointed a committee to recommend whether the books should remain in the curriculum and stay in school libraries. District policy calls for the formation of the committee — which can include a principal, teachers and parents — when a parent formally files a complaint.

Link

edit on 6-12-2016 by Indigo5 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2016 @ 09:54 AM
link   
a reply to: Indigo5

So every complaint by any parent is always valid?

Bull.

posted on Dec, 6 2016 @ 09:56 AM
link   
a reply to: JanAmosComenius

You are dreaming about society, where everything is OK. In Annees universe it is situation where sibling is fenced off the real world.

Not that I mean to speak for Annee, but in Annee's universe - or, in her thinking - nothing is sacred

I agree with her on that. Nothing is sacred. Everything is up for discussion. Telling people they can't contest things, disagree, or simply discuss certain subjects is about another kind of censorship. Americans see these things as classics, and the idea of eliminating them is a kind of taboo

Taboos need to be discussed openly. That's what real freedom is all about

Our society is ugly and hostile.

Accusing (certain) people of banning books (when they haven't) is ugly and hostile. I've always thought that we can avoid that sort of thing by allowing people the freedom to discuss our issues freely in pubic

posted on Dec, 6 2016 @ 09:56 AM
link   

DBCowboy,

No, that is not what is being implied. What is being implied is that a committee will be assembled, to ESTABLISH whether the complaint is justified, and whether the book referred to in the complaint will remain part of the curriculum.

That does not mean that the committee will uphold the complaint, it only means that they must have a discussion about it. They are different things entirely.

posted on Dec, 6 2016 @ 09:58 AM
link   
a reply to: Annee

The meaning of words evolve and change...and put frankly...the conversation on the evolution of the meaning of various words and context is a large and expansive lesson that is not taught in accompaniment with the literature.

So yes...I support your view on modified/edited versions of classics for children that include words that have sprouted over decades into full blown derogatory hate language.

How many times has the Bible been edited and modernized now?...Forever?...as we keep finding scrolls showing earlier content previously unknown?

posted on Dec, 6 2016 @ 09:59 AM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

And in the mean time, while they "discuss" the validity of such an asinine complaint, the books are pulled, because some printed squiggles inked onto the pages offended some idiot.

posted on Dec, 6 2016 @ 10:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: TrueBrit

originally posted by: JanAmosComenius

I'm leftist. I'm Marxist. I'm anarchist. What you are standing for have nothing to do with progression of humankind. US notion of cultural Marxism (aka neomarxism) is pure joke. Droids repeating some phrases without knowing of its meaning ... Heil Hillary.

Right on the money.

I am personally sick of these censorships and bans being associated with left wing ideology. They simply are not. But that should surprise no one, because by the standards that matter the Democrat party of the US is a right wing organisation.

The left has a long history of censorship, and it would do well to remember that.

If we are sick of these bans being associated with our politics, then it might be best to fight them.

posted on Dec, 6 2016 @ 10:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

So every complaint by any parent is always valid?

Bull.

You apparently failed to think there in that post.

I never said or even inferred that " every complaint by any parent is always valid?"...What a silly thing to interject.

I explained that this local school district has a policy that if a parent files a "Formal Complaint" then the school district puts together a committee of a few school board members and parents to assess whether the complaint is valid.

I simply relayed FACTS.

Perhaps you can explain why your OP is factually FALSE, Incorrect...Click Bait BS?...

It claimed that the book has been "banned"?...When in reality all they are doing is giving a formal complaint a fair examination and no conclusion has been reached yet?

Cuz from where I sit...You posted a fake OP headline for culture war, click bait purposes.

posted on Dec, 6 2016 @ 10:06 AM
link   
For everyone who applauds the school board and the parent, I imagine you'd also support the situation if the parent didn't want sex-ed taught, or Islam taught, or evolution taught.

Yeah, I didn't think so.

posted on Dec, 6 2016 @ 10:06 AM
link   

Oh, they are pulled during the vetting are they?

I had not read that in the linked information provided. Are you sure??

posted on Dec, 6 2016 @ 10:07 AM
link   

A temporary ban is still a ban.

posted on Dec, 6 2016 @ 10:08 AM
link   
a reply to: LesMisanthrope

No longer than anyone elses.

I think you will find that plenty of things have been banned under right wing control of nations and governments that should not have been, and it is disingenuous, not to mention inaccurate to argue that one has been more or less guilty in that regard than the other.

link   

Actually, I titled it based on the article.

As per the rules.

If you want banning and censorship, just admit it.

Others certainly have.

link   

originally posted by: TrueBrit

Oh, they are pulled during the vetting are they?

I had not read that in the linked information provided. Are you sure??

Yes.

posted on Dec, 6 2016 @ 10:10 AM
link   

How are you sure of that, precisely?

I am just curious, because no mention of such a thing has been made as of yet. As far as anyone in this thread is aware, the books are still on library shelves in the school district concerned.

new topics

top topics

<< 18  19  20    22  23  24 >>

join