It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Virginia high school banned “To Kill a Mockingbird” “Adventures of Huckleberry Finn”

page: 18
<< 15  16  17    19  20  21 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 5 2016 @ 03:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

originally posted by: TinySickTears
i just think its fantastic because most people dont give a rats ass about jazz and that is a shame.

Jazz is awesome, best music to cook to.

I prefer Electronic Dance Beat - - but, my daughter says it gives her a headache.

posted on Dec, 5 2016 @ 03:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: Annee
You act like we are naive or something.

We're not.

Not naïve. Insular and out of touch.

link   
18 pages.

If there are those that want book banning, then pretty much anything that could be said has been said and no ones mind will change.

Some embrace history, obviously, some do not.

It reminds me of a tribe somewhere on the planet. I forget where.
In their culture, you "look forward" to the past and behind you is the future.
Why?
Because history is something you can see, so it is right in front of you.
The future? That is behind you because the future is unknown, unseen, unknowable.

Some don't want to see, refuse to see. . . what is right in front of them.

link   

originally posted by: kaylaluv
I'm going to remember this thread when we have another one all about how upset everyone is with sex ed in the schools.

posted on Dec, 5 2016 @ 03:34 PM
link   

You act like we are naive or something.

We're not.

Not naïve. Insular and out of touch.

Not even a little bit.

posted on Dec, 5 2016 @ 03:35 PM
link   

Not even a little bit.

Wanting to ban books 'for the children!' is about as out of touch with reality as a person can get in my opinion.

posted on Dec, 5 2016 @ 03:37 PM
link   

Not even a little bit.

Wanting to ban books 'for the children!' is about as out of touch with reality as a person can get in my opinion.

I hate the term "Organic" - - but, I prefer it over - - forcing my kid.

Because some people think its a good idea.

posted on Dec, 5 2016 @ 03:41 PM
link   

Should children learn arithmetic 'organically'? We should stop forcing that on the poor tykes, some children just cannot math as well as others and could get a complex.

posted on Dec, 5 2016 @ 03:42 PM
link   

Should children learn arithmetic 'organically'? We should stop forcing that on the poor tykes, some children just cannot math as well as others and could get a complex.

Seriously, you're gonna compare math to this?

posted on Dec, 5 2016 @ 03:44 PM
link   

Seriously.

Cause, like, ya know, literature and arithmetic are pretty important subjects. If you are gonna half ass one, why not go all the way? For the children of course.

I love the little germ machines.

posted on Dec, 5 2016 @ 03:45 PM
link   

Seriously.

Cause, like, ya know, literature and arithmetic are pretty important subjects. If you are gonna half ass one, why not go all the way? For the children of course.

I love the little germ machines.

NO - - I'm not going to compare math to this.

posted on Dec, 5 2016 @ 03:46 PM
link   

NO - - I'm not going to compare math to this.

I am. Math is hard and makes some people feel icky. I want to add algebra and calculus books to the 'bad' pile.

posted on Dec, 5 2016 @ 03:47 PM
link   
a reply to: kaylaluv

Me too. I mean how can you give sex ed a stamp of approval if even racial slurs in historical context are offensive?

posted on Dec, 5 2016 @ 04:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: kosmicjack

Me too. I mean how can you give sex ed a stamp of approval if even racial slurs in historical context are offensive?

Right and how can you think racial slurs in literature are perfectly okay, but not be okay with teaching a kid about something that is a normal and natural biological part of life?

posted on Dec, 5 2016 @ 04:24 PM
link   
High school. I wanted to read In Cold Blood. The librarian told the principal who called my mother.

My mother ripped him a new a**hole for trying to censor history.

So, yes, I got to read it, and anything else I wanted to read. This was in the 70s's.

Censorship should never be sanctioned. EVER.

posted on Dec, 5 2016 @ 04:28 PM
link   

I've not seen anyone on this this thread asking to ban sex ed....great way to derail a topic though.

posted on Dec, 5 2016 @ 04:32 PM
link   
a reply to: Martin75

That's okay. I said I would remember this thread when the sex ed subject is brought up in the future. I've been here 5 years, and it pops up from time to time. I recognize the posters who are against it. They know who they are.

posted on Dec, 5 2016 @ 04:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: Jdennis10
a reply to: DBCowboy

Here a quote from the book. To me this is just meaning we all all humans. Some people would read this the wrong way in their head.

Some negroes lie, some are immoral, some negro men are not be trusted around women - black and white. But this is a truth that applies to the human race and to no particular race of men. Harper Lee, To Kill a Mockingbird (To Kill a Mockingbird #1)

There is zero reason to even suggest separation like this to a child. Or to bring back words no longer used in common conversation.

Some negroes lie, some are immoral, some negro men are not be trusted around women - black and white.

I can appreciate your concern and you have every right to do as you please. But, taking a statement out of context to try and win an argument is really a weak hand.

"Some negroes lie, some are immoral, some negro men are not be trusted around women - black and white. But this is a truth that applies to the human race and to no particular race of men. Harper Lee, To Kill a Mockingbird (To Kill a Mockingbird #1)"

How is there a suggestion of separation when the first statement is responded to by the second, suggesting that there is no separation because there is clearly a HUMAN RACE problem? As we read classic literature the author was using a common word used in that time, but the statement was in no way singling out a race. It only looks that way if the context is removed, as you did when you quoted.

posted on Dec, 5 2016 @ 04:35 PM
link   
a reply to: xcavscout

Star for you. I'm so sick of the manipulative little games by certain posters in this forum.

posted on Dec, 5 2016 @ 04:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: kaylaluv
a reply to: Martin75

That's okay. I said I would remember this thread when the sex ed subject is brought up in the future. I've been here 5 years, and it pops up from time to time. I recognize the posters who are against it. They know who they are.

I am not against sex ed. I am against what some people think it is and at what age they think it should be taught.

new topics

top topics

<< 15  16  17    19  20  21 >>

join