It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Virginia high school banned “To Kill a Mockingbird” “Adventures of Huckleberry Finn”

page: 16
<< 13  14  15    17  18  19 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 5 2016 @ 01:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t
You know what I've been thinking for a long time? They should add a Stephen King book to high school required reading lists. Something like The Stand. One of his classic.

Nope. When The Kid gives some sweet, sweet handgun love to Trashcan Man in the keister I wager a few trigglypuffs will get triggered.

Homosexuality and gun play. I feel the ground shaking already with all the outrage.

edit on 5-12-2016 by AugustusMasonicus because: Zazz 2020!

posted on Dec, 5 2016 @ 01:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: Annee

Social commentary, especially the historic kind, is some of the best historic tutors to give people an idea of how past generations lived their lives. Much more fun to read those books than sit in a dry history class where they just throw names and dates at you demanding you memorize tons of stuff you have no perspective to.

If history is your interest, I can see studying it. What we're taught in school is questionable history at best. Texas still twists the real history of the Alamo.

But why? Does any child of today need those kind of words and phrases in their head at all? They don't. Time to evolve.

Meh. The stuff they learn from their peers, other kids, puts the stuff in those books to shame. Personally, I felt insulted by parents who thought I couldn't handle things like that when I was a kid. Mostly because I was already using FAR harsher language in my day-to-day speaking.

Maybe this book should be mandatory reading instead: Lies My Teacher Told Me: Everything Your American History Textbook Got Wrong

www.goodreads.com...

That's a good book! I've read it before; though I'm sure MANY a conservative would be upset you pushing that book. It is VERY liberal minded. But Lowen points out quite a bit of the problems in high school history classes, some of which I alluded to in my post, so I'm game. He is spot on with much of his analysis. He COMPLETELY change my view on Woodrow Wilson.

posted on Dec, 5 2016 @ 01:45 PM
link   

a reply to: Annee

You know what I've been thinking for a long time? They should add a Stephen King book to high school required reading lists. Something like The Stand. One of his classics. King is a WIZARD when it comes to the English language and reading his descriptions gives you a real solid idea of what is going on. The Stand isn't really a horror book either, so you don't have to worry about scaring the kids. I'd say that would be a great book for kids learning how to use our language to show them a fun way to do so. Though you'd have to be alright with all the f bombs and other cuss words in it.

Those kinds of books actually do make you think.

They make you stretch your mind.

What kid in grade school today hasn't heard the "F-bomb"? Its become more and more a part of today's culture.

posted on Dec, 5 2016 @ 01:48 PM
link   

What kid in grade school today hasn't heard the "F-bomb"? Its become more and more a part of today's culture.

So they heard # but not 'n-word'? Are you kidding me?

link   

What kid in grade school today hasn't heard the "F-bomb"?

So you are OK with gradeschool kids reading the F-Bomb but not middle school children reading history. SMH
Gotcha!

link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

You know what I've been thinking for a long time? They should add a Stephen King book to high school required reading lists. Something like The Stand. One of his classic.

Nope. When The Kid gives some sweet, sweet handgun love to Trashcan Man in the keister I wager a few trigglypuffs will get triggered.

Homosexuality and gun play. I feel the ground shaking already with all the outrage.

Ha! I forgot about that. Been a while since I read the book. It sure doesn't bother me though. I still say we make it required reading. Kids will LOVE English again being able to read something like that.

posted on Dec, 5 2016 @ 01:50 PM
link   

Ha! I forgot about that. Been a while since I read the book. It sure doesn't bother me though. I still say we make it required reading. Kids will LOVE English again being able to read something like that.

I didn't. It messed up my paradigm so bad I went on to be a rather successful and well-adjusted person able to form lasting friendships and adult relationships.

posted on Dec, 5 2016 @ 01:53 PM
link   

In all honesty, a Stephen King book, with his mastery of the English language would be a better book for high schoolers to read than a historic social commentary book to teach English, but there is also significance to be had with the social commentary books. It's not like the kid's history class will force them to read them; hell they won't even talk about the books. You MAY have a history teacher mention Upton Sinclair's The Jungle when speaking about monopolies at the turn of the 20th century or Uncle Tom's Cabin when talking about slavery, but that's really it when it comes to literature and history.
edit on 5-12-2016 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 5 2016 @ 02:03 PM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

We teach Discretion and what/when is appropriate. Knowing how to fit into different situations/circumstances is and even more so going to be vital for the next generation. Like we teach: "Your friend doesn't invite you back, his parents do".

He has full access to the internet. I've put the responsibility on him to monitor himself and what's appropriate for his age (with a little guidance, of course). I have him keep a note pad next to the computer. He can write whatever he's thinking on the note pad. But, has to clean it up to G-rated if he puts it on the Internet. Electronic Media is his generation. And whatever you put on it - - will be there for life. It could seriously affect your future. So, I'm teaching him now - - no matter how tempted you are to put questionable stuff on the Internet - - Don't. (He is not allowed to have a Facebook yet. Have to hold some stuff back for him to earn by being responsible)

It's surprising to me how many parents are deathly afraid of the Internet.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

IMO - - my priorities are intelligent choices.

He does not need to read Huck Finn.

posted on Dec, 5 2016 @ 02:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: Martin75

What kid in grade school today hasn't heard the "F-bomb"?

So you are OK with gradeschool kids reading the F-Bomb but not middle school children reading history. SMH
Gotcha!

You been on a playground lately?

I do believe I've repeated I choose to live in the now.

posted on Dec, 5 2016 @ 02:10 PM
link   

So they heard # but not 'n-word'? Are you kidding me?

Hasn't come up in his school yet - - that I've heard of. Probably because of the area we live in.

I'm sure it comes up in the inner-city Los Angeles schools.

posted on Dec, 5 2016 @ 02:11 PM
link   

Well keep in mind that one of the points of teaching these books is to give the context so they can understand why the particular language was used. Unless they were a HUGE literature buff, if they read these books on their own (also unlikely) they wouldn't as easily get that context.

posted on Dec, 5 2016 @ 02:13 PM
link   

Hasn't come up in his school yet - - that I've heard of.

Unless you are following him around school to prove otherwise I would wager everything I have that someone, somewhere played a song with that word in it.

posted on Dec, 5 2016 @ 02:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: reldra

One cannot 'modernize' classics. That is censorship. "To Kill a Mockingbird" is taught to 9th graders, normally, and the context of different words is part of the lesson plan.

I am surprised that anyone would think think this is a good idea of any kind.

I've lived a long time.

I've raised 3 generations of kids.

They do not need to go back in time. They do not need to experience the bigotry of the south in a time 80 years before they were born.

There are different challenges of this generation which I choose to focus on.

If you think it's important to your kid, that's your right.

I don't.

Home-schooling is available to those who wish to shelter their children from aspects of the public school curriculum. It's a much better option than becoming a (figurative or literal) book burner, limiting access to others.

posted on Dec, 5 2016 @ 02:27 PM
link   
Double Post
edit on 12/5/2016 by dogstar23 because: Because it was a double post, and like Rosie O'Donnel in a silk negligé, nobody really wants to see a double post

posted on Dec, 5 2016 @ 02:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: dogstar23

One cannot 'modernize' classics. That is censorship. "To Kill a Mockingbird" is taught to 9th graders, normally, and the context of different words is part of the lesson plan.

I've lived a long time.

They do not need to go back in time. They do not need to experience the bigotry of the south in a time 80 years before they were born.

I don't.

Home-schooling is available to those who wish to shelter their children from aspects of the public school curriculum. It's a much better option than becoming a (figurative or literal) book burner, limiting access to others.

I don't support homeschooling.

posted on Dec, 5 2016 @ 02:41 PM
link   

I've lived a long time.

I don't.

Why not?

posted on Dec, 5 2016 @ 02:48 PM
link   

Hasn't come up in his school yet - - that I've heard of.

Unless you are following him around school to prove otherwise I would wager everything I have that someone, somewhere played a song with that word in it.

The area is a mix of upper and lower middle class - - progressive types.

The parents are very socially aware - - and so are the kids of each other.

We chose this area on purpose.

posted on Dec, 5 2016 @ 02:51 PM
link   

The area is a mix of upper and lower middle class - - progressive types.

The parents are very socially aware - - and so are the kids of each other.

We chose this area on purpose.

I am sure everything is all nice and Stepford-y like you want it but I have a feeling the clone army you live with is not able to prevent your children from hearing this word. The fact that they are 'aware' makes them more prone to have heard music and/or played video games with this allegedly development-stultifying epithet.

edit on 5-12-2016 by AugustusMasonicus because: Zazz 2020!

posted on Dec, 5 2016 @ 02:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: thesaneone

I've lived a long time.

I don't.

Why not?

Few parents are actually qualified to be teachers IMO.

Most homeschooling is for religious reasons.

IF I had a child that was bullied for whatever reason - - I would consider home school - - as Self Esteem is the #1 most important thing in life.

HOW I SURVIVED HOMESCHOOLING IN BILL GOTHARD’S CULT: PART ONE: homeschoolersanonymous.org...

new topics

top topics

<< 13  14  15    17  18  19 >>

join