It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Virginia high school banned “To Kill a Mockingbird” “Adventures of Huckleberry Finn”

page: 15
<< 12  13  14    16  17  18 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 5 2016 @ 12:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: Annee
I have a 17 year old granddaughter. Does she have any idea what women before her went through? NO. And she doesn't care.

Let's not discuss the Holocaust either. That's uncomfortable. And slavery, totally irrelevant.

/sarcasm.

posted on Dec, 5 2016 @ 12:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: Floridagoat
a reply to: Annee

It all becomes a bit clearer after you basically let other parents like me know you're a Helicopter(hover) Parent.

You don't know anything.

First off - he's a high functioning Autistic.

You don't just open the door and say go play.

posted on Dec, 5 2016 @ 01:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: kosmicjack

I have a 17 year old granddaughter. Does she have any idea what women before her went through? NO. And she doesn't care.

Let's not discuss the Holocaust either. That's uncomfortable. And slavery, totally irrelevant.

/sarcasm.

You all can believe and support whatever you want.

Don't attack and ridicule others for thinking differently.

Yes, I know, we're all taught "Learn from History".

It is my experience - - that history can get in the way of New Thoughts and Progressive Ideas.

posted on Dec, 5 2016 @ 01:08 PM
link   
I have reconsidered my post about banning books on war since people may feel they are too traumatic. I have now realized that I did not go far enough and we should instead ban any book that has any type of suffering or may trigger someone else.

You a vegan and offended by other people's food choices? Take a hike Green Eggs and Ham.

Think sorcery is Satanic? Piss off Wizard of Oz.

Offended by religious themed stories? Take A Christmas Carol and scram.

Arachnophobia? Squash that nasty bug in Charlotte's Web.

Honey-thieving bears raise your larceny hackles? Winnie the Pooh can go to Gitmo.

edit on 5-12-2016 by AugustusMasonicus because: Zazz 2020!

posted on Dec, 5 2016 @ 01:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus
I have reconsidered my post about banning books on war since people may feel they are too traumatic. I have now realized that I did not go far enough and we should instead ban any book that has any type of suffering or may trigger someone else.

You a vegan and offended by other people's food choices? Take a hike Green Eggs and Ham.

Think sorcery is Satanic? Piss off Wizard of Oz.

Offended by religious themed stories? Take A Christmas Carol and scram.

Arachnophobia? Squash that nasty bug in Charlotte's Web.

Honey-thieving bears raise your larceny hackles? Winnie the Pooh can go to Gitmo.

Have you applied to Drama School?

posted on Dec, 5 2016 @ 01:12 PM
link   

It is my experience - - that history can get in the way of New Thoughts and Progressive Ideas.

This is the most ridiculous thing I have heard from you yet, do you honestly believe that or are you just looking for attention.

WTF

posted on Dec, 5 2016 @ 01:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: thesaneone

This is the most ridiculous thing I have heard from you yet, do you honestly believe that or are you just looking for attention.

WTF

You are entitled to your opinion.

I am entitled to mine.

Oh, absolutely I think dwelling in history can be an anchor to evolving with new ideas.

edit on 5-12-2016 by Annee because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 5 2016 @ 01:17 PM
link   

WTF

I am entitled to mine.

Oh, absolutely I think dwelling in history can be an anchor to evolving with new ideas.

Learning is now dwelling?

posted on Dec, 5 2016 @ 01:17 PM
link   

I am sorry, since your post is in the past I feel it should not be addressed due to the past being wholly irrelevant and not a productive topic. Instead I will focus on the now and the future which will involve my campaign to ban books so snowflakes do not get all triggery.

posted on Dec, 5 2016 @ 01:18 PM
link   
a reply to: thesaneone
Damn I wish I had known all this before all those history classes. Ah, the hours wasted *end sarcasm*

posted on Dec, 5 2016 @ 01:18 PM
link   

WTF

I am entitled to mine.

That's your choice of interpretation?

posted on Dec, 5 2016 @ 01:20 PM
link   

WTF

I am entitled to mine.

That's your choice of interpretation?

No, that's what you said.

posted on Dec, 5 2016 @ 01:25 PM
link   

WTF

I am entitled to mine.

Evolving??? Ha...HAHAHAHAH.

posted on Dec, 5 2016 @ 01:29 PM
link   

Oh yeah! Lolita! I forgot about that one. Maybe because it isn't as popular of a book reading in various school districts. Though the big three are definitely Huck Finn, Kill a Mockingbird, and Catcher in the Rye.

Me, I really don't care what they read. Reading Huck Finn didn't destroy me when I read it for a book report in 6th grade (funnily enough at the time my class was reading Tom Sawyer) then again for class in the seventh and kids can handle that material if you teach it in the right context.

Social commentary, especially the historic kind, is some of the best historic tutors to give people an idea of how past generations lived their lives. Much more fun to read those books than sit in a dry history class where they just throw names and dates at you demanding you memorize tons of stuff you have no perspective to.

Though this all plays into my HUGE gripes with how history is taught in grade school (like a partisan prop for what ever partisan party is in charge of that school district/state) and the VAST difference between a high school history class and a college aged one. Though keep in mind that if you advocate for removing these books, you risk sanitizing English/literature classes in the same way History classes are sanitized and no matter how secure you feel about your child's feelings, your child WILL be bored as dirt when you try to teach this white-washed material.

posted on Dec, 5 2016 @ 01:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: WeAreAWAKE

WTF

I am entitled to mine.

You all can stay in the box you've been taught to stay in.

I will remain box free.

posted on Dec, 5 2016 @ 01:32 PM
link   
Um, think you have that backwards.

You are the one living in a box and refusing to be "upset".

edit on 12/5/2016 by Martin75 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 5 2016 @ 01:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: WeAreAWAKE

WTF

I am entitled to mine.

You all can stay in the box you've been taught to stay in.

I will remain box free.

Lol, you are the one who is in the box, how can' you not see this?

posted on Dec, 5 2016 @ 01:38 PM
link   

You know what I've been thinking for a long time? They should add a Stephen King book to high school required reading lists. Something like The Stand. One of his classics. King is a WIZARD when it comes to the English language and reading his descriptions gives you a real solid idea of what is going on. The Stand isn't really a horror book either, so you don't have to worry about scaring the kids. I'd say that would be a great book for kids learning how to use our language to show them a fun way to do so. Though you'd have to be alright with all the f bombs and other cuss words in it.

posted on Dec, 5 2016 @ 01:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

Social commentary, especially the historic kind, is some of the best historic tutors to give people an idea of how past generations lived their lives. Much more fun to read those books than sit in a dry history class where they just throw names and dates at you demanding you memorize tons of stuff you have no perspective to.

If history is your interest, I can see studying it. What we're taught in school is questionable history at best. Texas still twists the real history of the Alamo.

But why? Does any child of today need those kind of words and phrases in their head at all? They don't. Time to evolve.

Maybe this book should be mandatory reading instead: Lies My Teacher Told Me: Everything Your American History Textbook Got Wrong

www.goodreads.com...

posted on Dec, 5 2016 @ 01:42 PM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t
I think The Stand would be an excellent addition to high school reading! I do believe that King has a special way with words and that book includes many life lessons. It might also get some interested in reading who wouldn't otherwise.

Great way to think outside the box! M-O-O-N, that spells perfect! (If you haven't read The Stand, you won't get it)

top topics

<< 12  13  14    16  17  18 >>

join