It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stan Hywet Hall and the Ram of Aries?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 4 2016 @ 10:21 AM
link   
To be honest, the premise of this thread could turn out to be a load of rubbish and hot air. My curiosity into this matter revolves around a single floor tile, a single statement made by a curator, and a bit of circumstantial tangents. We will address this matter in a moment, but please allow me to lay some necessary context and framework.

Pictured here is Frank Augustus Seiberling (October 6, 1859 – August 11, 1955), the original co-founder of the Goodyear Tire and Rubber Company.

The Seiberling Family home was constructed between the years 1912-1915 in Akron, Ohio, and follows in the style of Tudor Revival architecture. F.A. Seiberling named the 70-acre estate, “Stan Hywet” (old English, “Stone Quarry”), as a tribute to the site’s original usage. At 51,134 square-feet, the Stan Hywet manor is the 34th largest home in the United States.

“Non Nobis Solum” (“Not For Us Alone”) above the main entrance

The house is beautifully crafted! The entirety of the home’s walls are intricately hand-carved by master wood workers, the floors showcase exemplary stone slabs and tiles of varying varieties, and the windows feature Tudor Revival Steel panels (21,455 panes of glass), with the occasional decorative stained glass. The home also includes a music room, a bowling alley, a billiards room, and even an indoor swimming pool and spa. The estate features gorgeous gardens, orchards, ponds, bridges, and a garden grotto.

A couple years after the passing of F.A. Seiberling, the family home was donated to a non-profit organization in 1957. Today, Stan Hywet Hall stands as a Historic Site and museum, open to the public.

When embarking on one of the more intimately guided tours, we discovered lots of mystery! We unveiled a plethora of hidden compartments, secret doors, and hidden passageways. Regarding some of the hidden compartments, a curator mentioned that the family needed a place to hide controversial objects, and specifically alluded, ”Pray to something else that wasn’t considered appropriate.”

We were completely taken-back by this statement, and didn’t think to ask any follow-up questions by the sheer surprise of what had just been said. However, as a student of the esoteric and occult, my eyes were already scouring the manor for any significant symbolism. The Seiberlings were known to be Lutherans, and Christian symbolism could be found incorporated into the home. Some glass panes, floor tiles, and wood carvings were adorned with traditional and ornate crosses (I didn’t see a Templar one
), and the occasional Triple Spiral and Spiral Triskelion. One of the rooms even had a full top-border mural of Chaucer’s, “Canterbury Tales”, encircling the entire room.

At the bottom of the main stairway, there is a marvelous statue of the Roman Mercury and/or the Greek Hermes,

and ascending this main stairway, we encounter a beautiful winged-foot.

It is said that F.A. Seiberling chose to use the Wingfoot as the logo for Goodyear, because it embodied many qualities of his company. I find nothing sinister here, for I am appreciative of Mercury, Hermes, Thoth, and even that Great Sage of old, Hermes Trismegistus.

Within the entirety of the mansion that I beheld, there was single stone tile that captured my curiosity. Nestled between the main Music Room and Library, the home features an Enclosed Porch with a fabulous mosaic fountain.

There are a few Cross and Triple Spiral tiles, however, there is only one floor tile that stands out from the rest:

The center appears to be the Ram of Aries within a circle, with both left corners of the square showing the traditional symbol for Aries. The lower-right corner ‘might be’ a linear variation of the Aries symbol, what do you guys think? The top-right corner is just about missing, but it appears to be the same symbol as the lower, which would make sense observing the left-side corners.

F.A. Seiberling was not an Aries himself. Hmmm, could it be a possible token of his wife’s or children’s birth signs? All throughout the house, we did not encounter any other constellation or zodiac symbols, only this single tile of Aries. When I referred to the floorplan of Stan Hywet Manor, I noticed that the floor tile is oriented south to south-west. Perhaps it is a coincidence that on a North-oriented map, this floor tile of Aries would appear upside down.

I dug a little deeper and was able to discover that F.A. Seiberling’s father, Mr. James H. Seiberling, was a member of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows. An article (cited at the closing), mentions that James H. Seiberling’s ”sons hold membership in the Masonic fraternity,” however, it does not make mention as to which sons were Freemasons.

This thread is not meant to cast dirt or shame upon this prestigious family, nor is it a “Satanic Illuminati witch-hunt”. I am a student of the arts and crafts, and simply seek rational opinions as to any significance that this lone image of Aries may hold.

Stan Hywet Hall and Gardens
Big Old Houses: Inside Stan Hywet
The Origin of the Wingfoot
James H. Seiberling

edit on 12/4/16 by Sahabi because: Check out the links for more beautiful pictures

posted on Dec, 4 2016 @ 10:35 AM
link   
looks like a Baphomet symbol no? would make sense as the masons are supposedly into that.

posted on Dec, 4 2016 @ 10:43 AM
link   
Very interesting, well written thread. Thank you for the lovely pictures too. What a gorgeous mansion. I'll stop in later when others (more qualified than I) have responded.

Well done!

posted on Dec, 4 2016 @ 10:45 AM
link   
a reply to: Sahabi

The first thing I thought was

Baphomet (/ˈbæfoʊmɛt/; from Medieval Latin Baphometh, Baffometi, Occitan Bafometz) is a term originally used to describe an idol or other deity that the Knights Templar were accused of worshipping, and that subsequently was incorporated into disparate occult and mystical traditions. It appeared as a term for a pagan idol in trial transcripts of the Inquisition of the Knights Templar in the early 14th century.[1] The name first came into popular English usage in the 19th century, with debate and speculation on the reasons for the suppression of the Templars.[2] Since 1856, the name Baphomet has been associated with a "Sabbatic Goat" image drawn by Eliphas Levi[3] which contains binary elements representing the "sum total of the universe" (e.g. male and female, good and evil, etc.).
en.wikipedia.org...

nice thread and a wicked house :")

posted on Dec, 4 2016 @ 10:46 AM
link   
a reply to: coldlikecustard

Hello there. Thanks for weighing in

I see the resemblance that you're suggesting. But I don't think it is the Baphomet, because it doesn't include the qualities of androgyny, duality, the pentagram, or the flame of intellect.

When I first saw it, I thought, "Demon!" Hahaha! But I relaxed after I saw the symbol of Aries

posted on Dec, 4 2016 @ 10:47 AM
link   

Excellent Original Post, love the photos.

Next time I am out in Akron I think I may take a tour, I really enjoy historic properties and this one seems to have a good deal to offer.

posted on Dec, 4 2016 @ 10:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: coldlikecustard

looks like a Baphomet symbol no? would make sense as the masons are supposedly into that.

Uh, no. Baphomet is not in Masonic ritual or teachings.

posted on Dec, 4 2016 @ 10:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: coldlikecustard

except we aren't.

I used to visit this house as a kid. My parents home is an English tutor and they loved the architecture of this old house. We lived in a suburb of Cleveland. I don't see anything overtly masonic in any of the pictures you posted, and it's been a long time since I went, so I'd have to refresh my memory. (Plus back then, I wasn't a mason and had no idea I would be)

Cool thread idea. It's a fantastic old place with much history.

posted on Dec, 4 2016 @ 10:52 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus fair enough must be mistaken I shall bow to your superior intellect in this area my good man

posted on Dec, 4 2016 @ 12:49 PM
link   
There is an inscription on the side of the winged foot ssculptur's base. Im sure it's probably nothing, but im just a little curious why that "extra" block is covering half the inscription. Surely this was not the intended configuration for these 3 pieces of carved material. I wonder how it was originally meant to be displayed, and if there is another inscription(s) on any of the other sides of the base, or perhaps on the extra pieces. Can anyone make out any of the words/letters that Are visible?

posted on Dec, 4 2016 @ 02:11 PM
link   
a reply to: zosimov

I'm interested in hearing your opinion! No worries about more qualified opinions, I'm not qualified myself!

a reply to: the2ofusr1

nice thread and a wicked house :")

Thanks! The house is a work of art

Are you familiar with any imagery of Baphomet predating the the illustration by Eliphas Levi?

a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

It's well worth the visit. It is a remarkable estate, and there is a wealth to explore beyond the handful of pictures in this thread. I recommend visiting during flowering season. The gardens are tranquil and lively.

a reply to: network dude

I could have overlooked somethings because of the size of the estate, but I certainly didn't see any symbols or imagery related to Freemasonry at all.

a reply to: 3n19m470

Nice catch! I hadn't even noticed. That corner is actually a lot darker than the photo appears, I had to brighten it before uploading. I can't really make out what it says, but if I ever visit the estate again, I'll definitely take a closer look.

posted on Dec, 4 2016 @ 03:46 PM
link   

What a wonderful thread - thank you so much! I was on my way out the door when I happened upon your story, and that was two hours ago.

I followed your links and could not of enjoyed this more!

Question - did you get any info on the tile like age or location? Very interesting.

Great job.

posted on Dec, 4 2016 @ 04:40 PM
link   
a reply to: Missmissie173

Thank you for the interest, and I am glad that you enjoyed the thread.

I did not ask any questions about the floor tile, because of the overwhelming amount of guests. There was actually a queue-line starting at the front entrance and continued unbroken throughout the entire manor, because of their current Christmas program. The entire estate is currently decked with lots of beautiful Christmas lights and decorations, it is an impressive Winter Wonderland.

When you are in the main hall of the music room, you head to the adjoining room which is named the "Enclosed Porch". After taking a few steps into this room, the Aries floor tile is stationed directly in the midst of where one would naturally walk through this room. It appears to be fully original to the room, as the tile matches the material of the other tiles, and the mortar surrounding it is the same color as all of the rest of the tile mortar. There are a handful of Cross tiles and one Triple Spiral tile, but the vast majority of tiles are blank. It's difficult to make out, but if you look at the "Enclosed Porch" picture in the OP with the mosaic fountain, the small cluster of unique floor tiles are next to the rug and chair beside the velvet rope divider.

If I ever make another journey to the estate, I will definitely have to ask the manor curators to fill me in on additional information regarding the tile.

edit on 12/4/16 by Sahabi because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 4 2016 @ 08:29 PM
link   
This is a very cool, back-to-conspiracies post and a welcome addition to the site. The manor is beautifully crafted.

I would suggest that perhaps Seiberling was some manner of Roman Pagan, given the reverence to Mercury and Aries. Roman paganism actually existed beyond the Christian era secretly among the Roman elite. Constantine even depicted himself as a Sun God even after his forcible conversion of the empire to Christianity.

posted on Dec, 4 2016 @ 11:42 PM
link   
Great post! I also like the pictures. I'm a big fan of that type of architecture and design.

a reply to: coldlikecustard
Such a misconception goes back to the Taxil Hoax.

posted on Dec, 5 2016 @ 03:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: Sahabi
This thread is not meant to cast dirt or shame upon this prestigious family, nor is it a “Satanic Illuminati witch-hunt”.

Refreshing.

posted on Dec, 5 2016 @ 02:29 PM
link   

Great thread! You drew me in and by the last period I am whirling with questions!!!

As did most of, I immediately went to Baphomet, then I saw the Aries symbol and said, OK Aries Ram, yea, but OH what a curious place to put such a crudely made stone! There, amongst so many things that were strategically placed for aesthetic purposes, why have such an unattractive stone? for what!?

I can wait to see what everyone comes up with!

posted on Dec, 5 2016 @ 08:25 PM
link   
a reply to: SargonThrall

Excellent post! If there is an alternative minority belief-system to be found, I'd love to explore it. As Mr. F.A. Seiberling chose the symbolism of Mercury/Hermes to represent the Goodyear Tire and Rubber Company, perhaps he saw the symbolism of Aries as an embodiment of other qualities that he admired or strove towards.

Aries

"The sign is associated with the vernal equinox and the seasonal start of the year when everything begins to grow again. Aries represents the seed of life, potential, and possibility.

Ruled by the planet Mars which also rules the God of War, Aries' qualities include energy and vitality, determination, stubbornness, and impulsiveness. Aries can also be quick tempered and aggressively ambitious. The fire element of Aries is the fire of creation, burning erratically in all directions, an explosion of flame that can be creative or destructive, depending on how it is applied. The brute force and impulsion of the Ram epitomizes this sign; as the first sign of the Zodiac it has a childlike bluntness, and an honest, straightforward approach."

"The Element Encyclopedia of Secret Signs and Symbols"
- Adele Nozedar

It's interesting to note that Aries, a fire sign, is just about centered with the fountain in the room; Fire and Water balanced.

After your Roman Pagan suggestion, I happened upon the reconstruction and revival movements of Italo-Roman neopaganism and Hellenismos. The Seiberlings have a long history with the Lutheran Church and originally hail from German. If they held a secret belief-system, I would have originally presumed some sort of Germanic Paganism or Neopaganism, however, it's quite possible that you could be on to something.

posted on Dec, 5 2016 @ 09:04 PM
link   
a reply to: the2ofusr1

The article, FOUND AGAIN: THE “TEMPLAR ARTIFACTS” OF HAMMER-PURGSTALL, has some alleged imagery of Baphomet that predates Eliphas Levi's illustration.

I am surprised that after all of this time, I never became aware of Christoph Friedrich Nicolai's proposal that the word "Baphomet" is derived from the Greek, "baphe metous", meaning, "Baptism of Wisdom". This puts a new swing on things for me.

Baphomet, Goat of the Witches' Sabbath

Myth of the Baphomet

top topics

join