It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trump: The United States is Open for Business

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:
+5 more 
posted on Dec, 4 2016 @ 09:47 AM
link   
If tax incentives are used to keep jobs in America and have people working again, I don't see a single thing wrong with that.

Obama used taxes as a penalty if you didn't sign up for insurance. Didn't see the leftists pissing themselves over that little jewel.

posted on Dec, 4 2016 @ 09:51 AM
link   
a reply to: Hazardous1408

Capitalism is NOT tying both hands behind your back and then expecting you to be equal. You obviously don't understand business

+3 more 
posted on Dec, 4 2016 @ 09:53 AM
link   
It's odd to see so many upset about people working, keeping their jobs.

Oh my god. . . the horror.

+3 more 
posted on Dec, 4 2016 @ 09:59 AM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

It's also amusing to see the 'corporate welfare complaints' in this thread, while having endured the last eight years of a POTUS who defined the term:

Huff Post - Barack Obama: King Of Corporate Welfare

No matter what else he achieves or where he falls short, Barack Obama can lay claim to the title of King of Corporate Subsidies.

Using any of a variety of measures, the Obama administration has broken all records in the distribution of taxpayer dollars to American businesses, primarily banks, automobile manufacturers and insurance companies.

The tidal wave of dollar bills has stunned folks on all sides of the political spectrum.

Obama rubs elbows with Harry Reid's corporate welfare lobbyists

As I have asserted all along, what the left really fears is Trump's success.

posted on Dec, 4 2016 @ 10:21 AM
link   
a reply to: Krakatoa

Not by making it sooooooo expensive for businesses that you force them to move out of the country.

So you are still believing this BS? If this were true then foreigners wouldn't be buying up companies and running them here. They know we have the best workforce in the world and for that you expect to pay more.

posted on Dec, 4 2016 @ 10:22 AM
link   
The problem with economics is not only about outsourcing, the bigger problem for the entire world is robotics. There are 3 groups of people most important to the economy that will have a large impact:

- those creating technology to completely replace workers
- those creating technology built as an extension so only a number of people are replaced, but not all (like 1 worker using software enabling him/her to do work that used to be done by 10 workers)
- those working the traditional way and only utilizing a small bit of technology

If you are wealthy you'll go with no. 1, middle class takes #2 and everybody else is left with #3. They will become three seperate economies within the bigger (world) economy. Group 1 will survive and rule for centuries while some of 2 will merge with 1 and the others will go to 3 and those people will be regarded second class citizens with limited means of living. Trump doesn't say too much about 1 and appears to be focusing on 3 and 2. So I'm thinking Trump is just another puppet of the elite altough he might not be aware of this while he is diverting attention of group 3 from robotics so they don't protest or riot and mess up the timetable of group 1.

Anyone with a few marbles can see this problem; a few will have robots that will produce anything but the consumers will not have any money to buy the products because they will be out of work. People will start to trade amongst themselves for the necessities of life while others will live in luxury, anyone protesting will be removed by police. Lots of people who will not be able to pay taxes or even their homes. The entire economy will be different, yet people don't care about what's in store. Once automated vehicles will hit the scene and millions will lose their jobs in a short time is when I hope people will begin to protest and demand the government do something about it (as in robotics working for all of humanity).

posted on Dec, 4 2016 @ 10:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy
If tax incentives are used to keep jobs in America and have people working again, I don't see a single thing wrong with that.

Obama used taxes as a penalty if you didn't sign up for insurance. Didn't see the leftists pissing themselves over that little jewel.

If you were collecting free stuff, and wasn't expected to work the past 4-8 years, the "government" paid for everything (in this case government = working tax payers), you would be upset at being forced back to work again.

IMO, that is part of this resistance. The gravy train is over, and those on it do not like getting dropped at the next stop with nothing in their pockets (or heads I guess). There is no participation trophy at that stop either.

Frankly, I am sick of training my replacements overseas. I am on the verge of training my 4th replacement now.

#1 & #2 was when the company moved to China because they could pay 10 Chinese workers for the same cost as my pay, with no need to also pay benefits.
#3 was when the next company moved to Mexico, same deal (thanks NAFTA!).
#4 now is likely to be Hungary, same deal. Especially now that TPP will likely get killed, otherwise it might have been Indonesia.

And all that time, I was also paying my taxes to keep people in the style of living that are not working. I am fine with that if they are down on their luck but still looking to work and get off the gravy train. Fortunately, I have skills enough to find a new place, or change careers, for at least a few years. However, I cannot afford to do this a 4th time. As for the pay, that was what was offered, I did not demand high pay. And a good business person does not say, "Naaah, You are offering me too much, I'll take less pay to take the job". This is not the case for many, many Americans that were not fortunate or skilled enough to change careers easily.

Perhaps this time, I will not have to train my Hungarian replacement of it becomes less cost effective to move my job offshore.

posted on Dec, 4 2016 @ 10:38 AM
link   
a reply to: loam

The most amusing thing in all of this? Watching Conservatives have imaginary arguments with themselves.

+2 more 
posted on Dec, 4 2016 @ 10:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: buster2010
So you are still believing this BS? If this were true then foreigners wouldn't be buying up companies and running them here. They know we have the best workforce in the world and for that you expect to pay more.

This is so wrongheaded I don't even know where to begin.

They buy them here, because that's where they start. But the labor goes there, because it's significantly cheaper.

I remember the first time I went to India for business more than a decade ago. I was stunned. No appalled. It forever changed my perspective on economic globalization. Everyone was there. I returned that first time and said to as many people as I could that Americans were selling their future. People looked at me like I was crazy. How could they understand? They didn't see what I saw then or in the following years.

You have no idea what you are talking about.

Globalization is a scam. It guts the middle class by sending jobs to places that offer little more than slave labor, lining the pockets of the one percenters here and the one percenters there.

posted on Dec, 4 2016 @ 10:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: loam

originally posted by: buster2010

This is so wrongheaded I don't even know where to begin.

They buy them here, because that's where they start. But the labor goes there, because it's significantly cheaper.

I remember the first time I went to India for business more than a decade ago. I was stunned. No appalled. It forever changed my perspective on economic globalization. Everyone was there. I returned that first time and said to as many people as I could that Americans were selling their future. People looked at me like I was crazy. How could they understand? They didn't see what I saw then or in the following years.

You have no idea what you are talking about.

Globalization is a scam. It guts the middle class by sending jobs to places that offer little more than slave labor, lining the pockets of the one percenters here and the one percenters there.

Agreed. I forgot to mention getting laid off in 2013 when they moved my division to India. Fortunately, I did not have the distasteful job of training a replacement. However, even though I did eventually find a new job, I did see my job listed as open back here 1 year later. I made inquiries and discovered that it was a disaster, nothing was done properly, and they had to move some of it back here to be fixed.

posted on Dec, 4 2016 @ 10:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: Krakatoa

originally posted by: Hazardous1408
He's a corporate welfare shill.
Just look at Carrier.

Face it. What happened to pure-unadulterated-free-let-the-market-decide capitalism?

I think there is someone on food stamps who needs investigating.
So I'll see you later.

"Corporate welfare"? Please explain this term to me.

"Corporate Welfare" refers to the sly and underhand tactic of providing tax incentives to companies in order to retain or encourage them to operate in the US, thereby keeping jobs and tax revenue (albeit reduced) flowing into the coffers.

This is a terrible and destructive tactic. It's much better to allow the company to move, losing ALL tax revenue from their operation as well as losing thousands of jobs in the process.

Sure, financially people would be better off if the company stayed (keeping jobs and some - albeit reduced - revenue from the company taxation), but it's well established that people dependent on government welfare are more likely to vote Democrat.

This is nothing more than the Republicans trying to buy votes by giving people "what they want" - steady employment and economic growth - instead of "just enough to keep them hungry so we can buy their votes using welfare". It's well established that people are too stupid to know what they want and shouldn't be allowed to influence the decision-making process, they just don't understand economics and "the bigger picture" like clever Democrats.

posted on Dec, 4 2016 @ 10:55 AM
link   

you nailed it that`s exactly why liberals are against securing the borders and bringing companies back to America.

Hillary and trump`s campaign promises were polar opposites on this issue.
Hillary promised more free stuff including free college, Trump promised more jobs so people could work and support themselves.

posted on Dec, 4 2016 @ 11:26 AM
link   
a reply to: johnnyjoe1979

I think if schools taught our children how to code and build tech we could continue to keep innovating.There are kids out there with tremendous ideas,if only they had a network if support from teachers et al.Just a thought.

posted on Dec, 4 2016 @ 11:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: Tardacus

you nailed it that`s exactly why liberals are against securing the borders and bringing companies back to America.

Hillary and trump`s campaign promises were polar opposites on this issue.
Hillary promised more free stuff including free college, Trump promised more jobs so people could work and support themselves.

It seems that a grand miscalculation was had in them believing the majority of this country wanted "free stuff" without working for it all. Perhaps that is the case in the coastal & major metropolitan areas where they won. But the vast majority of the country has a strong work ethic and personal pride in putting in a good days work to support their families. Regardless of Trumps bloviating during the campaign, I am heartened by the response of the voters to want someone promising jobs and not "free stuff" that is paid by those with the strong work ethic.

posted on Dec, 4 2016 @ 11:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: buckwhizzle
a reply to: johnnyjoe1979

I think if schools taught our children how to code and build tech we could continue to keep innovating.There are kids out there with tremendous ideas,if only they had a network if support from teachers et al.Just a thought.

Unfortunately, even coding skills are not enough. Those jobs are now moving offshore to India, Hungary, and Kiev. I see it all the time. The H1B visas are granted to (Indian, Hungarian, Russian) students who work for less here, learn what they need to be proficient from American citizens, then move back to (India, Hungary, Russia). What do you think the company does with the American's job after that, hmmmm? Right, they lay off the worker here and move the work to the (Indian, Hungarian, Russian) sub-contractor that just hired that former student that now has the product knowledge and a starting bit of experience from Americans. Wanna guess how much less they work there??

Yeah, that plan is not great for Americans here. Been there, done that, do not want to do it again. This is the reality, and not an academic discussion point.

edit on 12/4/2016 by Krakatoa because: fixed spelling errors

posted on Dec, 4 2016 @ 12:00 PM
link   
a reply to: Christosterone
"Sorry liberals, America is not a communist thought experiment for your freshman philosophy logic... "

WOW !! Best one liner E.. V.. E ..R !!!!!!!

posted on Dec, 4 2016 @ 12:38 PM
link   

You listen to Jimmy Church , don't you? Go Fadernauts! Let the bloviating abate and the payrolls rise

posted on Dec, 4 2016 @ 12:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: megabogie

You listen to Jimmy Church , don't you? Go Fadernauts! Let the bloviating abate and the payrolls rise

Sorry, but I do know who "Jimmy Church" is at all. Never heard of the man. I speak from personal experience, not academic philosophies or talking head rhetoric.

posted on Dec, 4 2016 @ 12:49 PM
link   

He had a guest this week use the term "bloviate" which he liked so much he continued using it the rest of the program. I never heard it before myself, so I assumed maybe you picked it up there or you are Douglas Rushkoff (the guest who used it).

No intention to derail the thread. I concur with your posts and hope that a friend who was just informed his company is closing on the 31st and moving to Mexico gets better news before Christmas.

posted on Dec, 4 2016 @ 01:23 PM
link   
a reply to: loam

Not sure how this is a good solution.

If he places a tariff on goods coming from specific companies, it drives-up the price of those goods and the consumer (US consumers) will pay for it.

If the consumers don't want to pay the increased price, that opens-up an opportunity for cheaper alternatives to come from countries like China.

I could see how placing tariffs on foreign-made goods could be useful in protecting existing American industries, but that is not what he is suggesting. What he is suggesting would prop-up the industries in other countries.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join